PDA

View Full Version : Carnuaba on top of Sealant

dank311
01-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Hey,

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out previously on the polishing products...

I have decided on using PB 2.5, so should I follow that with PB 1, or Menzerna FP? I have read that I will need a finer polish/cleaner, and some have told me that if I work PB 2.5 long enough it will buff to a shine, and will not need a cleaner like PB1 or Menzerna FP. But, If using a finer polish/cleaner will help with haze as well as leave a deeper gloss/shine, then I dont mind spending the extra money and time on the extra step. This being my first time, I might just go ahead and get one, just in case there is alot of hazing, etc, or maybe just for use in between heavy polishing(w/PB 2.5) to maintain a polished look.

After the polish I was planning to use Clearkote RMG for a glaze...

My next question..

Should I use a sealant topped with a carnauba? (Like EX-P topped with Natty Blue)

I have read that it makes the a deep wet look, while providing more protection than just a carnuaba. But, someone has also told me that if I use the carnuaba on top of the sealant, the carnuaba will most likely strip alot of the sealant, so its pretty much useless to use both. But, that is just one opinion I have heard. Its still kind of up in the air for me on whether or not I should use both the sealants and carnauba or just one or the other.

I have also heard there are some sealants out there that have great protection and can match the look and depth of a carnuaba.

If anyone could help me on a LSP that would be very helpful

THANKS AGAIN!

atticdog
01-16-2006, 07:59 AM
rmg then ex-p then nattys blue will work fine

I would wait 1/2 to an hour after the ex-p before topping it

a carnuaba line nattys has low solvents and no cleaners so the sealant under it should be fine

Sherman8r44
01-16-2006, 09:38 AM
I would wait 1/2 to an hour after the ex-p before topping it

Wait, you can top a sealant with a carnauba before it is done curing?

exile
01-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Last week I put on a coat of FMJ and topped immediately with Natty`s Blue. I have about two hours on a good day here to work on the Chevy due to freezing temps.. The look was stunning to say the least. It was my first experience with NB and I couldn`t believe the look, simply awesome. I don`t know for sure if the FMJ was compromised, but I was very happy with the results. I finished the top, hood and trunk just before the snow started. Love that Natty`s Blue.............Tom

PS: Moving to Florida next week. This may allow a change in my detailing procedure,LOL........can`t wait :bigups

atticdog
01-16-2006, 10:40 AM
i believe poorboys sealants dont need as much time to cure as say SG also they can be applied over glazes when other sealants cant

imported_Neothin
01-16-2006, 01:04 PM
I still go for the minimum of 12 hours of curing time before I top a sealant. It gives me peace of mind that the sealant will be as durable as it possibly can and that I`m not screwing up the curing process by topping it before it`s done. RMG-EXP-NB is going to give you a very deep wet look. Your really going to like it!

getright
01-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Definetly top the sealant with a carnuba. ^I agree about at least allowing some curing time though. It has been stated on here many times that the sealant`s particles usually need to cross link for the maximum durability. However i have topped a sealant with natty`s blue immidiately after and experienced streaking from either the sealant or lsp (nb). You could probably get away with only a couple of hours of curing time.

imported_Larry A
01-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Instead of using a carnuba wax over a sealant . Why not use a carnuba and sealant mix like Poorboys EX .