PDA

View Full Version : I`m looking for a decent watch...

Pages : [1] 2 3

drewski59
01-15-2006, 10:36 PM
UPDATE AND PIC ON PAGE 4

Any watchaholics out there?

I`m looking to replace my 5 yr old Swatch with something new.

I`m keeping my budget to below $200, but I want the best quality/accuracy/reliability I can for the money. :bigups

I think I`ve narrowed it down to these:

-Citizen Calibre 5700 Eco-Drive

-a Seiko chronograph

-a Hamilton(if I can find a nice one within my range)

-another Swatch(probably an automatic skeleton)

Any opinions on these? Any really good brands I`m leaving off of my list??

Thanks.

drewski59
01-15-2006, 10:37 PM
I should mention that I posted a poll between these on the TimeZone forum, and the Citizen was the leader by a wide margin.

General Lee
01-15-2006, 11:34 PM
I have a Citizen Eco-drive, and couldn`t be happier with it. It was in the 300 dollar range though.

benpocock
01-15-2006, 11:53 PM
If accuracy is important you want a watch with a chip in the back of it, not an automatic movement as these don`t keep their time as well. I was told this when I bought my Rolex - Swiss Chronometer rated means it has to be accurate to within (-4) to (+6) seconds per day, which if you ask me is pretty inaccurate! A watch with a chip will be accurate to thousandths of a second per day.

Ben

drewski59
01-16-2006, 12:12 AM
I have a Citizen Eco-drive, and couldn`t be happier with it. It was in the 300 dollar range though.

Well, the 5700 retails for $400, but Amazon and Overstock have them much, much cheaper :D

a.k.a. Patrick
01-16-2006, 12:29 AM
I`ll stick with my Casio HT-G for $150.00. Solar charging and Atomic! I didnt think you could get much more accurate then an atomic setting, and last I checked, i wasnt launching rocketed satellites for a living!!

pontman43
01-16-2006, 01:14 AM
I love my Citizen, but I also love my Seiko, both are great watches. I think it should mostly come down to what style you like and size.

ceiol
01-16-2006, 02:53 AM
seiko automatic diver -- about $120 on ebay or other places. Built like a tank, waterproof, automatic movement, and you can re-sell it for about $100 - $120. Therefore you can basically wear the watch for a year or two for free.

imported_gusbubba
01-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Seiko is a solid brand......

...have you looked at Invicta ?

Got a couple of my groomsmen Invicta Divers last year

and they`re very happy with them.

AkronSi
01-16-2006, 06:31 AM
I think that it comes down to which watch you think looks the best. I have s Citizen Caliber 8700 that I love. But, I also have an older Guess that has been a great watch and a Nike and Timex that I also wear.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Spilchy
01-16-2006, 09:23 AM
If accuracy is important you want a watch with a chip in the back of it, not an automatic movement as these don`t keep their time as well.

I`ve got a 40 year old Rolex that is off by 5 seconds when compared to my atomic clock.

I`ve got a wind up Bulova military watch (I collect them) with a hack setting from the Korean War that was issued to US airmen. I wind it every 24 hours and it is keeping perfect time, down to the second with my atomic clock. It`s pretty amazing.

Drewski, here is a nice selection (23 pages) to choose from with cheap prices and shipping to help make up your mind. They have the Seiko chronographs you are looking for.

http://www.overstock.com/?PAGE=STOREPICK&STO_ID=4&STL_ID=136&CAT_SKUPAGE=96&CAT_SORTBY=0

stilez
01-16-2006, 09:27 AM
DKNY watches are sexy...I`ve had mine for a little over year without any problems. I get compliments on it all the time...

http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/4d/21/31_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LUXURY-DKNY-SILVER-TONE-MENS-DRESS-WATCH-LOOK_W0QQitemZ5077883115QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

$107 shipped

Bill D
01-16-2006, 09:39 AM
I`m another huge watchaholic too :o

I have a Frederique Constant Swiss moonphase on order. I finally found a quality moonphase watch that isn`t complete junk or an expensive vintage make with questionable history, or an astronomically priced PP, VC, etc. :eek:

In that $200 price range, if you fancy the style, Invicta might be another decent choice. Check out ShopNBC.com for those. They are often on TV as well. More or less anything with an ETA movement is going to be pretty reliable.

Spilchy
01-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Nice Bill! A vinatge moonphase (a triple date chronograph moon phase to be exact) is next for me in the collection. The ones I prize are so expensive, that I can`t afford them. I won`t buy stainless steel or gold plated. The 18k ones are like thousands and I gaze at them with envy. I was hinking about selling off some of my collection to own one or put money towards, but I can`t part with any! I just can`t do it! I`ve got at least 10 watches here (WW2 military government issued that I also bought original straps for too) that need major overhauls. (This guy does my work: http://www.farfo.com/)

Sorry to hijack the thread.

But anyone who wants a watch, definately check out overstock.com. Nobody sells cheaper or has better shipping charges for quality watches.

Bill D
01-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes, Overstock for sure :up

Oh yeah, another, perhaps less popular brand in that $200 range is Bulova. I usually scour Overstock, Froogle, and Ebay for starters to get an overview of the makes and models out there at a discounted price.