PDA

View Full Version : My Findings with Poorboys/SSR

BLK_03
01-15-2006, 05:41 PM
I have been lurking on the forums here for a while now, learning as much as possible. I don`t post much, but thought I would after today`s findings.

I have always used the Poorboys lineup (SSR 2.5/2/1) and have been happy for the most part. In virtually ALL light sources including bright sun, gas station lights, etc. the finish is swirl and scratch free. It is the kind of finish that when you see the car makes you say, "that car is clean..." Quick pic, not the best, but finish looks good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/BLK_03/WAX004.jpg

However, in the synthetic light in my garage(huge overhead fluorescent lights, a halogen work light on a tripod, and a high powered flashlight I carry around), you could still see some micro marring and slight imperfection in the paint. The surface always seemed just a bit hazy and I always felt I could improve on my results. You had to get your face REALLY close to the paint and catch it in just the right angle, but imperfections were there.

Here it is after I taped off a section and used Optimum polish on a white pad, then black pad (lake country brand) on the left side of the tape. For whatever reason, the flash of the camera REALLY accentuated the micro marring. It doesn`t look this bad to the human eye.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/BLK_03/WAX001.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that I have been waaaaaaaay overusing the SSR 2.5. I will use it in the future, but only on more severe imperfections or more heavily neglected finishes. For routine maintenance and a complete detail a few times a year on my baby, Optimum polish is what I`ll use, followed up with Clearkote Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze and S100 or other quality Carnuba.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Vast improvement, and nice products to work with. With black, your going to see the imperfections more easily, thats something your probably just going to have to get used to. Its (I think) impossible to have a black daily driver perfect all the time. And without a Halogen, Flourescent lighting or a hi powered flashlight, no one but me, you and the other readers will ever know you have not a perfect finish! Great looking Cobra!

aaron33
01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Don`t you use SSR1 on a polishing pad after SSR2.5 on a light/med cutting pad?

BLK_03
01-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Don`t you use SSR1 on a polishing pad after SSR2.5 on a light/med cutting pad?

I tried it and still had some imperfections.

BLK_03
01-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Vast improvement, and nice products to work with. With black, your going to see the imperfections more easily, thats something your probably just going to have to get used to. Its (I think) impossible to have a black daily driver perfect all the time. And without a Halogen, Flourescent lighting or a hi powered flashlight, no one but me, you and the other readers will ever know you have not a perfect finish! Great looking Cobra!

Thanks Patrick. I don`t know if you remember or not, but I ordered the Optimum from you, per your advice. Thanks.

imported_Gears
01-16-2006, 04:44 AM
Blk 03 car look great. I can tell you got it bad... your Lawn-Boy looks like you it gets the Poor Boys polish also. I thought it was new until I saw the dirt on the tire.

DM101
01-16-2006, 06:58 AM
I have a red car and if you look hard enough you will always find a few micro scratches. It is something I am going to have to live with because I don`t want to take any more of the finish than I have to. But Men. PO85RD does a good job when I need it.

SilverLexus
01-16-2006, 07:10 AM
I have had good luck with SSR2.5 but I use a light or finishing LC pad. I think that may help prevent micro-marring. I`m also careful not to polish for too long.

SSR2.5 is still my favorite polish but I am starting to play with Optimum and Z-PC.

BLK_03
01-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Blk 03 car look great. I can tell you got it bad... your Lawn-Boy looks like you it gets the Poor Boys polish also. I thought it was new until I saw the dirt on the tire.

:lol

You`re not lyin`. I clean that thing all the time!!!!

Otravez
01-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Really great results. I say if black can pass the three foot rule, that`s an accomplishment.