PDA

View Full Version : Any dermatoligists in the house?

Pages : [1] 2

III
01-15-2006, 03:48 PM
When someone has very dry/chapped skin, should one look for a lotion that contains vitamin E, or A, or both? I`ve noticed some lotions contain these ingredients while others don`t.

Mr. Clean
01-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I`m not a dermatologist, nor do I play one on TV. I received a recommendation second hand. Eucerin, a cream. I use that product and also Cetaphil, also a cream. Both seem to be effective for me. I would have to look to see if the products contain E or A or EIEIO :lol

a.k.a. Patrick
01-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Kent, where ya been ???

John, Aloe Vera, Shea Butter to name a couple more. I hate to draw a similarity, but skin care is like surface care. It needs constant care to reveal its best side. Exfoliate (polish) rejuvinate (moisturize & Seal). Seriously, when you live in dry and harsh climates, such as you do this time of year, daily moisturizing seems necessary....

SpoiledMan
01-16-2006, 12:43 AM
What Patrick said AND drink lots of water!

spotter
01-16-2006, 07:53 AM
I had a skin condition for years and tried lots of things, including cortisone shots and a host of other crap, then I saw a dermatologist that highly recommended changing the soap I use to Cetaphil......I couldn`t believe how much difference it made. Now I use nothing but Cetaphil soap and use some of the Cetaphil cream (it is cheaper than the lotion ......... especially if used while your hands are still wet).

imported_hadboosttroy
01-16-2006, 08:15 PM
cetaphil as recommended by my derm.

Dave N
01-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Where do you guys buy the Cetaphil soap? I looked it up online and can`t ever remember seeing it in a store.

SpoiledMan
01-16-2006, 09:47 PM
I get it from Costco.

EDIT: I almost forgot that there is Aquaphor that is available from Target.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-16-2006, 10:05 PM
I usually find it at the local grocer....

Chris, WTH is a Aquafor ? Or is this a trick question !! Have you laid a trap for Ol Patrick me boy ??

imported_truzoom
01-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Hard water may be to blame, along with drying soaps that you shower with, and excessively hot water (all related to colder weather).

But as others have stated, getting your skin back to normal must be followed by a regular routine of using creams or lotions, otherwise your hands will crack and your knuckles will HURT SO BAD. :(

Dave N
01-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Hard water may be to blame, along with drying soaps that you shower with, and excessively hot water (all related to colder weather).(

I agree completely. My skin does much better since I installed a water softener (and stopped spending so much time under a very hot shower).

I`ve also found that running a humidifier in the winter helps, if you live in a cold region. I recently bought a hygrometer to monitor the humidity in my house for guitar reasons, and found that if I keep it around 40% my skin does much better. It can get down into the 20%`s inside when the outside air is really cold and dry. If you have radiant heat then your air will not dry out as much as with forced air heat like I have though.

Of course someone has yet to actually answer III`s original question... :rolleyes:

SpoiledMan
01-17-2006, 07:39 AM
I usually find it at the local grocer....

Chris, WTH is a Aquafor ? Or is this a trick question !! Have you laid a trap for Ol Patrick me boy ??

Aquaphor is a moisturizer that will keep your hands soft even after repetitive use of QEW! I keep a little in my car to use after my hands have been wet for an extended amount of time to keep them from getting all dried out. My son has to have this applied all over him every night as his skin is both dry and sensitive. Aquaphor was recommended to me by his pediatrician.

zippymbr
01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
I have battled this for years and finnaly asked my Doc at my last check-up. Turns out I have Exima sp? He perscribed a steroid cream that has worked wonders. I also use a hand sanitizer instead of washing my hands all the time. I aslo reccomend the Eucerin, but I buy the generic Target brand.

06E90
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
I`m a pediatrician, not a dermatologist, but we deal with eczema on a daily basis. A lot of the products mentioned are very good. The idea is to use a mild cleanser (not soap, too haesh) such as cetaphil. Dove and caress are also mild, get the white, unscented kind. Moisturizers such as Eucerin and Aquafor are very good. Vaseline and even Crisco will work well in the winter (too thick for warm weather). Best time to use moisturizers is right after ashower while the skin is still moist. Moisturizers with added ingredients such as aloe, cocoa butter, and lanolin can sometimes be irritating.

For severe break outs the only thing that will help is a steroid cream, sometimes even have to add an antibiotic.

autoweenie
01-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Eczema sucks.

My younger one has it.

She can only use unscented Dove and followed up by Eucerin lotion everyday.

No fragrant in the detergent either.

Even with the regiment, she will have severe breakouts during winter.

I use Aquaphor. I use it on my dishpan hand.