PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba cleaner wax on top of NXT?

Pages : [1] 2

HardcoreHehaw
01-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Well i`m trying to learn about detailing and I`m wondering if this process is ok.

Wash and Dry

Clay bar

Meguiars NXT

Mother`s Carnuba cleaner wax.

I`m not being counter productive by topping the NXT with carnuba cleaner wax am I?

This is the process I just used and i`m happy with the results.

I did it a little backwards though because I just picked up the clay today

I washed and dried then did a single coat of NXT.

Then 5 days later washed and dried again, clayed, then Mothers Carnuba Cleaner.

In the future i`ll try to do it in the order above.

I guess I could add a polish, but without a PC it gets too tiring doing this all by hand.

DM101
01-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Wash, clay, then mcguires Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner, NXT Generationâ„¢ Tech Wax Paste......

Mad iX
01-15-2006, 03:43 PM
The cleaner wax is compromising your layer of NXT. I definitely wouldn`t recommend continuing with this process. Just layer NXT if you want more protection.

You can also try a product like Poorboys Pro Polish, which is easier to use as it isn`t abrasive so you don`t have to work it in much.

HardcoreHehaw
01-15-2006, 03:48 PM
So should i just throw out the carnuba all together? It was only like a 4ox bottle that came with the clay bar, so it`s not a big loss.

I`ve only done the hood so far and i`m not exactly sure what caused this but the hood when it was all said and done was much smoother/shinnier after the carnuba compared to after the NXT.

Maybe cause I didn`t clay or maybe the carnuba had the advantage because it had already been clayed and waxed once with NXT.

HardcoreHehaw
01-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Wow Madix You have quite a collection of detailing stuff!!

DCT
01-15-2006, 03:51 PM
You won`t get much layering out of NXT. I would put two coats on (about 24 hours apart) for complete coverage, and then put on a good carnauba (one without much cleaning ability) if you want.

Another option would be to use one of the new fine spray sealants to maintain the NXT.

HardcoreHehaw
01-15-2006, 03:58 PM
A sealent such as??

atticdog
01-15-2006, 04:05 PM
the Mother`s Carnuba cleaner wax looked better because it cleaned the paint better than the nxt the prep work is the most important step in getting the best results

Mad iX
01-15-2006, 04:09 PM
HardcoreHehaw> There are so many choices when it comes to pure sealants or waxes without cleaning ability. Based on my own preferences, I`d recommend something like EX w/Natty`s Blue or keep the NXT and top with #26 or P21S. Too many things I like to list.

Carnauba waxes do tend to leave the paint feeling smoother as they fill in the paint and level it, but they aren`t as slick-feeling as sealants.

Using LSPs with no cleaning ability, you will need to polish the paint once in a while. Pro Polish as I mentioned earlier, AIO also works very nicely. If you like Meguiar`s then you can go with ColorX.

DCT
01-15-2006, 04:26 PM
A sealent such as??

Mothers` FX Spray wax should work fine over NXT. Optimum Car Wax (carnauba/polymer blend) would be another good choice. Even Finish Kare #425 would probably work nice and add a bit of protection. If you really wanted to go crazy, you could try some Zaino Z8.

ajmrn30
01-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Wow Madix You have quite a collection of detailing stuff!!

That`s an understatement! :)

Wow, what a arsenal of products. Nice, Madix.

imported_Neothin
01-15-2006, 11:38 PM
I`ll also say to ditch the cleaner product and switch to a nice cleaner free LSP to go on top of the NXT. If you want to go along the spray product route, I`d recommend OCW. Easy application and if the looks start to diminish, it`s as as easy another quick 10 minute application to revive and rejuvenate the finish.

White95Max
01-15-2006, 11:44 PM
How about you switch the NXT and cleaner wax...use the Mothers Cleaner Wax first, then top that with NXT. It`s actually not a bad product, so no, don`t just throw it away. You can always use it for door jambs or something.

Ed Fisher
01-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Why a cleaner after NXT ?? Don`t you have a straight carnauba wax ?

Alfisti
01-16-2006, 07:09 AM
The Mothers Cleaner Wax is quite a good one-step product. I actually like the look it creates and leaves a nice slick finish with better durability than the *original* formula NXT. As Paul suggested, use it (or the NXT) for door jambs, etc. Use one or the other, but not both.

If it was me, I`d use the Mothers as a base (good cleaners) and top it with a quality LSP without cleaners. Any of the LSP suggested above are good.

Don`t worry too much about some of the comments above...they`re just winding you up. :D

Welcome to the Autopia journey. Soon you`ll be as obsessed as the rest of us and max your credit card on products. :bigups