PDA

View Full Version : good bug remover?

Pages : [1] 2

polo708
01-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Hey guys, great site and the cars look great! I recently had my car shipped and it was untouched for about 3 months... good for my mileage but bad for the bugs that were left on my front bumper. I tried a few over the counter "bug and tar removers" (products like turtle wax and meguires) but it`s just not doing the job. Any recommendations for me or do I need a bit more elbow grease?

DrSauekraut
01-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Ouch! Bug guts can be very stubborn. Try diluted APC cut 50/50, but don’t scrub too hard. If that doesn’t work, use vinegar or clay. Be sure to re-wax afterwards :xyxthumbs

polo708
01-15-2006, 01:05 PM
APC cut 50/50?? What is it and where can I find it?

Mikeyc
01-15-2006, 01:10 PM
APC cut 50/50?? What is it and where can I find it?

APC is short for All Purpose Cleaner. There are many brands that make an APC. I have Meguiar`s APC which I like and also seems to be very popular among Autopians. I have tried it for bug removal though. Other popular APCs are Costco (Kirkland brand?) APC and Poorboy`s APC.

Also, when he says cut 50/50 he means a spray bottle filled half with APC and half with water.

Also, I`m curious which Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover you used. They seem to have multiple formulas. The one that comes in the white metal can with a plastic pry top is one of only two Turtle Wax products that I still use. This one has always taken care of every drop of bug/sap/tar I`ve ever had with no problem.

Pats300zx
01-15-2006, 02:04 PM
I have always had great successs with Stoner Tarminator.

ajmrn30
01-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I`ve used this product with very good results....

http://www.seafoamsales.com/bugsBGoneConsumer.htm

Sherman8r44
01-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Also, I`m curious which Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover you used. They seem to have multiple formulas. The one that comes in the white metal can with a plastic pry top is one of only two Turtle Wax products that I still use. This one has always taken care of every drop of bug/sap/tar I`ve ever had with no problem.

^^What he said...the black and green spray bottle of Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover doesn`t do a thing to bugs, but the stuff with the same name in a white can is pretty good. APC 50:50 is also a good option, and if nothing else works a pre-wax cleaner (also known as a chemical polish) like Meguiar`s ColorX or Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner should do the trick.

Louie
01-15-2006, 07:55 PM
I`ll second Stoner`s Tarminator. I`ll spray it directly on the bumper, let it soak for a minute and then wipe, turning my microfiber several times as I go.

stilez
01-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover is the strongest/safest tar remover I`ve used...Absolutely blows away Tarminator.

For something stronger, but I`m not sure about how safe it is...Goof-Off...Takes em off with a couple quick swipes.

aaron33
01-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Use a clay bar. I had a piece of bug guts that had insect wax over it. Nothing took it out, not even methylated spirits or WD40! I even tried the fingernail. In the end, I bought my first claybar and it took the bug off in just 1 minute!

lagniappe
01-15-2006, 10:40 PM
I use Sure Scrub which is made for getting bugs off paint. It looks like Scotchbrite (I know this sounds scarey) but it is safe for clear coat. All you have to do is let it soak in your soap bucket for five minutes before use. This is one of the best products that I have ever used.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/bayoutitan/SureScrub.jpg

getright
01-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Poorboy`s world bug squash and call it a day!

imported_Neothin
01-15-2006, 11:55 PM
I`ve also used bug squash to great success.

Alfisti
01-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover is the strongest/safest tar remover I`ve used...Absolutely blows away Tarminator.

I had the opportunity to use the AG yesterday and was totally impressed. Best tar remover I`ve tried short of straight turpentine. I don`t know how it would go with bugs though. :think:

I use the TW trigger spray and its very average on squashed insects. I`ll have to try the one in the can next.

SVECobraR
01-16-2006, 02:45 AM
I love bug squash, but at its price its not practical for everyday use, even cut 50:50, on a regular basis you`ll go through a bottle a week if not more.