PDA

View Full Version : Just got new rims, what should i do?

HardcoreHehaw
01-14-2006, 06:55 PM
I just recieved my new rims and I have some time until I get the mounted and balanced (still waiting on tires and lift)

So I was wondering what can I do before I put them on to help protect them? Wax, polish?

They are Chrome Mazzi Hulks.

I have in stock Meguairs NXT, Meguairs cleaner wax and Meguiars gold class wax.

I also Have some kind of chrome polish, I believe it`s turtle wax, or would that be better to use later to help bring the shine back.

I just wanted to apply a protective coat of something while it`s still easy to do so.

Is there anything I can do to help keep brake dust off of them? Like a certain product I can apply that won`t let the brake dust stick?

DuMouixe
01-14-2006, 07:31 PM
I`d guess something along these lines - (( ouch, can`t seem to get that pencil out of my eye , I need some too ))

Wheel Wax or DP Wheel Glaze

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/creativepen/everythingautomotive_1876_4885502.jpg

Apply three coats, over the course of a week, front and back, if you wanna have the sickest, tightest and shiniest wheels around.

White95Max
01-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Any sealant will do the trick. NXT will work OK, but not as well as a more durable product like SG.

getright
01-14-2006, 10:23 PM
^^^i agree, but you might want to hit them with kaio first then ksg for maximum durability. I have also heard good things about poorboy`s world wheel sealant. It looks similar to the dp stuff pictured above. The poorboy`s wheel sealant will leave a lasting coat of protection that will make it simple enough to remove brake dust with a simple wash. The klasse twins will have the same affect with probably even more shine.

Don
01-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Any sealant will do the trick. NXT will work OK, but not as well as a more durable product like SG.

Try the NXT All Metal Polysh instead of the car wax...it has been been very effective in keeping my rims clean.

imported_Neothin
01-15-2006, 07:45 AM
I would look into getting either a durable sealant or durable wax to put on the rims. Your current selection will work fine, but it doesn`t last all that long. I doubt your going to want to be reapplying wax to your rims every month or two... Collinites 845 insulator wax is a very hardy wax that will work well on your rims. jeff`s werkstatt Prime and Acrylic Jett would be a good sealant choice. Either of these products will also be able to be used on the paintwork, so that`s always a plus :D

Accumulator
01-15-2006, 10:06 AM
.. you might want to hit them with kaio first then ksg for maximum durability. .

Exactly. I put 4-6 coats of KSG on our rims and then just wash with regular carwash shampoo. It lasts at least six months, often until I switch to the winter wheels/tires. Be sure to do the back sides, I`d rather have a lot of layers back there than on the front faces, which can be easily redone most any time. Collinite isn`t bad (I use it on the winter rims) but in my experience it doesn`t last like multiple layers of SG.