PDA

View Full Version : Removing Zaino using AIO

Pennypacker
01-14-2006, 09:35 AM
May I please get some advice on using AIO to remove Zaino? If I`m going to be doing a full detail, including claying, would the procees be:

wash

AIO

clay

wash

polish

AIO

(then glaze, sealant, wax, etc.)

The rationale being..using the AIO to get to the actual paint, then the clay to remove whatever contaminants are there. I did clay originally before Zaino`ing, but that was 9 months ago, so I think I`d like to do it again for a fresh start.

Or, would the clay do the Zaino removal itself? In which case, I could skip the first AIO application.

Lastly, would IPA be of any use here instead of, or in addition to, the process outlined above? I have about 6 layers of Zaino on my car right now.

Thanks very much!

Setec Astronomy
01-14-2006, 10:42 AM
I think you should skip the first AIO.

Lowejackson
01-14-2006, 10:48 AM
If the polish is an abrasive one, this should remove the Zaino

imported_memnuts
01-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Wash

Clay

Polish :buffing:

Apply Protectant. If you are re-applying Zaino and if you use a oil/silicone based polish a 2nd wash or isopropyl alcohol wipedown will finish the prep.

The polishing step will remove any wax/sealant presently on your paint. :idea

HomicidalSloth
01-14-2006, 11:10 AM
May I please get some advice on using AIO to remove Zaino? If I`m going to be doing a full detail, including claying, would the procees be:

wash

AIO

clay

wash

polish

AIO

(then glaze, sealant, wax, etc.)

The rationale being..using the AIO to get to the actual paint, then the clay to remove whatever contaminants are there. I did clay originally before Zaino`ing, but that was 9 months ago, so I think I`d like to do it again for a fresh start.

Or, would the clay do the Zaino removal itself? In which case, I could skip the first AIO application.

Lastly, would IPA be of any use here instead of, or in addition to, the process outlined above? I have about 6 layers of Zaino on my car right now.

Thanks very much!

You`ve got the basic idea, your order is just off. :D

The AIO, IPA or polish will all remove the Zaino. No need for all three. Clay will also remove most all of it.

If your paint doesn`t need polishing, then you can just wash, clay, AIO if you want, and top it with a wax.

If you wash with dawn instead of car soap, that will remove the zaino right there, eliminating the need for anything else to remove it.

You could simplify it to the point of this even:

Wash with dawn

Clay

Seal and/or Wax

Also, I noticed your order at the end is "glaze, seal, wax", keep in mind that sealants generally don`t do too well when put over a glaze as they can`t bond to the paint correctly.

Intercooled
01-14-2006, 11:27 AM
I would

wash

clay

polish (no oils)

Reseal with Zaino :grinno:

SilverLexus
01-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I`m not sure that mixing AIO and Zaino is a good idea since they are different polymer systems. I would just use a mild polish.

Pennypacker
01-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I won`t be using Zaino this time around. Although I do like it, I`m just itching to try something new. The only abrasive polish I have is SSR1. After that, it`s just the Professional Polish and AIO. I think I will try claying real thoroughly or using Dawn for the first wash instead of AIO.

Regarding the glaze, seal, wax part...the original plan was VM, RMG, UPP, then Natty`s. I recall reading a few threads where RMG under UPP topped with a carnauba worked nicely looks-wise, although I understand that durability will suffer.

Pampering my car is stress-relieving, so I don`t mind going over it again every few weeks.

Thanks again for the advice! I`m glad I asked. Now I just need it to stop raining!

gmblack3
01-14-2006, 01:17 PM
You`ve got the basic idea, your order is just off. :D

The AIO, IPA or polish will all remove the Zaino. No need for all three. Clay will also remove most all of it.

If your paint doesn`t need polishing, then you can just wash, clay, AIO if you want, and top it with a wax.

If you wash with dawn instead of car soap, that will remove the zaino right there, eliminating the need for anything else to remove it.

You could simplify it to the point of this even:

Wash with dawn

Clay

Seal and/or Wax

Also, I noticed your order at the end is "glaze, seal, wax", keep in mind that sealants generally don`t do too well when put over a glaze as they can`t bond to the paint correctly.

Dawn wil not remove zaino.

severe
01-14-2006, 01:28 PM
wouldnt the claybar remove any surface contaminants including wax. i thought thats what the entire point of a clay bar was.