PDA

View Full Version : Gilmour Foam Gun vs. Wash Gun...the difference?

Pages : [1] 2

oak3x
01-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Does anyone know the difference between the GILMOUR FOAM GUN and GILMOUR WASH GUN. I would like to purchase one to assist in washing my car.

For anyone who uses the Gilmour Guns, I am curious which model you bought.

Thanks

Dave

Bill D
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
I`m not sure if there is a difference other than the verbiage used to describe the product. I do know the same product cn come with two difference size cups, one being larger (32oz. ?-- has been offered online recently) than the other (16oz.?)Can you provide a photo/link?

oak3x
01-14-2006, 08:12 AM
The two Gilmour Guns are linked below:

http://www.gilmour.com/Cleaning_Maintenance/Washguns/washgun.asp

http://www.gilmour.com/Cleaning_Maintenance/Washguns/foamaster.asp

atticdog
01-14-2006, 08:18 AM
the wash gun only dilutes the soap it doesnt have the nozzle to make it foam up

i just got my foam gun yesterday i think it was $63 with shipping

http://gsa.simplegreen.com/images/gsa_prod_con_img_multi.gif

Bill D
01-14-2006, 08:25 AM
The one discussed and sought after is the one in the second link. As you can see, it has two different size cups. My suggestion is to try to get the smaller one for better ease of use while washing. However, if that`s not available, the other will do just fine.

In fact, if you really want the smaller cup, I wonder if the one from one of those garden sprayers found in a hardware store may even fit. :nixweiss

Accumulator
01-14-2006, 09:31 AM
I *knew* that nonfoaming nozzle looked familiar! I have one in my collection of foamgun parts. It sprays a decent mix of soap solution in a fan-spray pattern. No foaming because of the lack of aeration. Spend the extra money on the foamgun model.

DuMouixe
01-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Seems like a good time to ask. Accumulator, do you prefer the 32oz or the 64oz unit?

Easy of use?

Duration of product?

What ratio is working well these days?

Is this the same gun they foam the runways with? (cause that would be a good foam gun)

(( my brother jury rigged a garden sprayer, but haven`t tried it yet, he has it set up

to do a 4x4 fan spray, he installed some sort of deflector plate, foams like crazy with

just H2O. It`s real easy to use, natural thumb control position on off, so I might pick up some quick offs and try it ))

$63 shipped, not bad

Setec Astronomy
01-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Is this the same gun they foam the runways with? (cause that would be a good foam gun)

Um...maybe a Lego runway for your kids...a runway foamer is a big truck with a water cannon on it...and uses fire retardant chemicals, not car wash soap. :D

DuMouixe
01-14-2006, 12:45 PM
doh -

It`s gonna rain here today, free acid rain car wash, free acid rain car wash... oy...

atticdog
01-14-2006, 12:46 PM
58 degrees and raining and tomorrow snow

i wanna try out my foam gun

Accumulator
01-14-2006, 01:34 PM
DuMouixe- I prefer the smaller bottle as it`s easier to manipulate using my wash technique, especially when using it on the hood/roof/etc.

These days I`m mixing about 5 pumps of shampoo from my gallon jug (of Griot`s Car Wash) for a gallon jug of foamgun mix so that`s about 5 oz shampoo per 123 oz water. I then vary the dilution via the mixing valve to suit the task at hand- low concentration for not-too-dirty surfaces, a higher concentration for those that *are* very dirty.

imported_Neothin
01-15-2006, 07:13 AM
I`m on the other side of this topic, I actualy prefer the larger bottle. I find that it`s really not that much more of a hassle to deal with the larger bottle. Also, with the larger resivoir size, I can go for a longer duration of time washing the car without having to refill the foam gun than I could with the smaller bottle.

my god, could you image what using a runway foamer on a car would be like!

Bill D
01-15-2006, 07:29 AM
I recently washed a Porsche Cayenne without much noticeable decline in the amount of soap solution in my smaller cup.

Accumulator
01-15-2006, 10:22 AM
I`m on the other side of this topic, I actualy prefer the larger bottle. I find that it`s really not that much more of a hassle to deal with the larger bottle...

If you`re not using the foamgun the way I do, I`d imagine the large bottle *is* more convenient. With my technique, I have enough trouble not hitting the roof/hood with the smaller bottle. All a matter if matching the equipment to the technique so IMO we`re both doing it right :D

I usually don`t have to refill either foamgun unless I accidentally dump the solution, which happens more often than I`d like to admit :o But I`d say I *do* use more than half a bottle out of each one, at least on big, dirty vehicles like the minivan. Sounds like I use a lot more solution than Bill D does though.

cgc2
01-15-2006, 10:35 AM
I know I use more solution that Mr. Bill.

A full large bottle will do two cars, with about a little less than 1/2 the large bottle left.

Must be my technique or lack there of.