PDA

View Full Version : Thank You

bortass
01-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Just wanted to thank all the members who have posted in these forums. I`ve never been interesting in detailing but I found you through a Lexus forum. I bought a used GS over a year ago and just did the normal car wash. I`ve never waxed a car in my life. I thought my car looks pretty good but now I know better.

I did my first ever 2 bucket wash today. It`s been in the 50s up here in the NorthEast, so I figured why not. I dried my car for the first time ever. I even used some TW Bug/tar remover and got some bugs off my front bumper that had been there for 6 months. I know it`s not much but I hope that it`s the first step into getting the most out of my cars finish.

I hope to clay, polish and wax the car this spring. I didn`t have enough day light to attempt to work on any scratches with scratch-x or even putting on wax. Would it hurt anything to apply a paste wax to the car over the hard to remove dirt and scratches. My thought is the wax would help reduce additional paint damage this winter until I can get it all straightened out. The wax should wash/polish off later or will it somehow make it even harder to fix the finish?

I have some real nice scratches and alot of rock chips in the hood area. I`ll see what i can get out by hand unless I get a PC. I think I may need to have a pro deal with some of the scratches and chips but I`ll see what I can do myself.

So thanks to all of you who have posted here. You have shown me the light of MF, lambskin mitt, good shampoo, and technique. :clap:

I`m sure I`ll be searching these forums and asking how to resolve some of the issues.

exile
01-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Bortass, I haven`t been here long either, I already have a closet full of detailing supplies, a PC, shopping rotary buffers, and a long list of other stuff I`d like to have in the closet. Actually, I`ll probably need another closet. Beware, this is addicting. If you have any difficulty with oppressive compulsive disorder, stop now. :wavey

Glossmaster
01-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Welcome Bortass! This place can do a number on your wallet if you`re not careful. (lol) There`s plenty of valuable info here in the land of "Autopia" & plenty of people who really know their stuff. Detailing might be an addiction for some of us, but it`s also a passion!! Just remember.......It`s all in the prep!

White95Max
01-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Would it hurt anything to apply a paste wax to the car over the hard to remove dirt and scratches. My thought is the wax would help reduce additional paint damage this winter until I can get it all straightened out. The wax should wash/polish off later or will it somehow make it even harder to fix the finish?

My suggestion, is that you buy a paint cleaner or a cleaner wax, and apply that first to remove the "hard to remove dirt". If you just apply a pure wax over dirt/stains/contaminants, you will sacrifice the durability of the wax. You can use all the protection you can get during the winter.

:welcome to Autopia! :wavey

bortass
01-13-2006, 07:48 PM
My suggestion, is that you buy a paint cleaner or a cleaner wax, and apply that first to remove the "hard to remove dirt". If you just apply a pure wax over dirt/stains/contaminants, you will sacrifice the durability of the wax. You can use all the protection you can get during the winter.

:welcome to Autopia! :wavey

The reason I asked is being in Maine I`m not sure how likely it`ll be that I`d have enough warm weather to get it all off. The only reason I`d just do the wax is to get something on the car until I can get it done right. Of course the weather`s gonna get bad again starting tommorow, so I have to wait for another warm spell anyway :sosad

imported_Neothin
01-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Rocks chips aren`t going to be fixed by a detailer unless you pay him big bucks to touch them all up. Deep scratches are also going to be an issue. If they`re thru the clear, they will have to be touched up. everything else should be fair game though :dance

Welcome to the boards, as others have said though, this can quickly put a hurting on your checkbook so be careful *remembers the several $250+ orders made at various vendors in the later half of 2005*