PDA

View Full Version : Steamer Users

Pages : [1] 2 3

ZaneO
01-12-2006, 10:47 PM
I`ve recently started using my Piccolo steamer, but I don`t seem to be very effecient with it.

What do you guys/gals have in the way of tips and tricks for using a steamer (mainly for interior cleaning)?

Thanks!

3Dog
01-13-2006, 12:05 AM
I would be interested also.

Mine takes a very long time to heat up.

imported_Reflections
01-13-2006, 01:35 AM
I use my steamer with my triangle brush attachment with a microfiber clipped to it to clean the dash, seats, headliner, and carpets (if they are not too dirty). I use my steamer to spray off the wheels after I scrub them with wheel cleaner (then I wipe with a towel afterwards). I use it to remove sap from the paint (it liquifies it in about 1.5 seconds). I use the daimer steamer (www.daimer.com). I`d rate their service average to below average but their mchine sure is powerful. It takes 15-20 minutes to heat up. I also spray the vents with it, and around the knobs and stuff, then I follow with a quick wipe with an mf towel.

EBPcivicsi
01-13-2006, 07:31 AM
I have onlyused mine on one detail so far, so knowledge is a bit limited. :)

I spray my regular APC mix on the cracks and crevices, then blast the gunk out with the steamer, wipe with MF. The steamer absolutely blows ALL of the "crud" out of the cracks and saved a little time--I typically have to agitate each crevice with a denture brush.

The steamer also works great in vents, simply blast the vent and wipe what you can.

I also used it with great success cleaning cup holders that had *a lot* of coke spilled in them. Again, I sprayed with APC, blasted with the steamer, and wiped with MF. FWIW, you will want to do this before cleaning the surrounding areas to avoid "overspray." :)

I will be playing around with the steamer a little more over the weekend as I have a few *really* dirty interiors scheduled.

Spilchy
01-13-2006, 08:47 AM
I use it the same way. You can even use it without the APC to loosen and clean away dirt and grime.

I also lightly spray my carpet cleaner on carpeting, allow it to dwell and slowly make a pass over it with a terry towel wrapped in the triangle attachment. Then I attach the window squeegy and do the same thing to ensure it`s all clean. It is a larger attachment in which the terry towel fits nicely around lying flush with the carpeting. I also use it for cloth and leather seats like this since it has no stiff bristles to poke through and harm the seats.

Just a tip, when you blast interior cracks and crevices, you may want to hold a towel over it because the steam will shoot out every which way because of the pressure. Also if you use an APC it can possibly spray back up in your face in the steam so the towel trick can be helpful.

wannafbody
01-13-2006, 03:39 PM
how would you guys suggest using it for hard floors- with a cotton cloth clipped over the floor attachment?

PadawanPrime
01-17-2006, 03:43 AM
I also lightly spray my carpet cleaner on carpeting, allow it to dwell and slowly make a pass over it with a terry towel wrapped in the triangle attachment.

Just be careful using the triangle attachment. Someone on the other thread snapped off the end of the steamer nozzle. The steamer nozzle is actually pretty sturdy, but I would be careful, since the Piccolo is being discontinued (Saeco is concentrating on cappucino machines and such) you can`t just buy a replacement steamer nozzle. The person who broke the steamer nozzle had to RMA the whole unit back.

So be careful.

BTW, I love the steamer, can`t beat it for the price. There are better steamers, like the one Anthony has, but they are much more expensive.

Peace.

twitch
03-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Sorry to bring this back but I just received my steamer and tried it on a few things around the house. I was not really satisfied with the results but I don`t know to use it which is how I found this thread ;)

Did anyone elses steamer stink when they used it? I am hoping this is because it was the first time but if it smells the way it did last night, all the time, I am sending it back.

thanks.

ZaneO
03-08-2006, 07:23 PM
It does have a little odor to it, but I think it`s just the "clean" smell of the vapor.

Ron Harris
03-08-2006, 07:50 PM
My advice would be to start with a Quality Machine.

boehljed
03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
I just got the McCullough Steam Cleaner from Harbor Freight. I have used it on my couch cushions with very good success. I spray the steam through a MF and scrub back and forth. It seems to do a good job of removing stains on the couch, I can`t wait to try it on my floorboards.

DocHoliday
03-08-2006, 09:34 PM
My advice would be to start with a Quality Machine.

I just picked up this monister!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4444819838&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

SamIam
03-08-2006, 09:58 PM
I would agree, for a pro, the Piccolo isn`t powerful enough. However, I think for the price, its a great buy for the average guy. I used mine to blast crap embedded in the door threshold. Also, took off lots of dirt and oil on the soft plastic sunroof switch. Also used on my wheels and it seemed to do a good job there. Concur on the cupholder, works great there also.

I used it on my hardwood floors with the microfiber attachement. That worked pretty well. Liquified pet stains on the carpet.

For the money, I`m happy. But then, I don`t do the amount of work that the pros do.

twitch
03-09-2006, 08:01 AM
I would agree, for a pro, the Piccolo isn`t powerful enough. However, I think for the price, its a great buy for the average guy. I used mine to blast crap embedded in the door threshold. Also, took off lots of dirt and oil on the soft plastic sunroof switch. Also used on my wheels and it seemed to do a good job there. Concur on the cupholder, works great there also.

I used it on my hardwood floors with the microfiber attachement. That worked pretty well. Liquified pet stains on the carpet.

For the money, I`m happy. But then, I don`t do the amount of work that the pros do.

^^ Exactly, I am in the same boat as you are.

Appreciate the advice Dent`s & Details however I can not justify the cost of a “professional†unit. I am not using this machine on a commercial level as I might detail 1-2 cars a week and will not use the steamer every time.

The Piccolo should suffice for the tasks that I intend to use it for. I realize that the reason it didn`t work when I cranked it up the first time is due to my own lack of knowledge on using a steamer. With research and practice I am sure this tool will work out fine for my needs.

Thanks.

BigO
03-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Anyone try their steamer on brake dust? How about in the engine compartment?