PDA

View Full Version : In need of help. (swirls)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Raptor2k
01-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi, I have a red rx-8 and I`ve been babying since I first got it.

Unfortunately, I have fine swirls all over the hood, roof, and the top of the trunk. They`re only noticeable in a lot of sunlight and under flourescent light (i.e at parking lots at night). When I first got the car, I would re-use a sponge while washing, and of course, I regret it. I now understand the importance of microfiber towels and waxing.

At first, I attempted using Zaino`s ZPC, then their wax. I didn`t see any difference. Then I tried Meguiar`s Scratch-X and that didn`t seem to help either. Also, it`s a pain to do the entire top of the car just by hand.

I understand that Porter Cables can help. Would this put my clear coat in any danger? Is it easy to use? Is it worth the money? How long does it take to use it?

Would this one suffice?

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/pc-7424.html

Thanks for the help.

imported_Neothin
01-12-2006, 08:11 PM
to answer your questions, not really, yes, most definitely, depends on the severity of swirling. I love my PC. Given enough time it does what you want it to do, and that`s all i could ask for. I can keep my car in great shape relatively easily and I don`t have to worry about screwing anything up. a PC with a few pads and some decent products will go a long way in keeping your car in tip top shape.

Raptor2k
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
What products do you suggest? Like I said, I have ZPC and Scratch-X with me. I believe I know where to get the PC and pads. What products do you use?

imported_Neothin
01-12-2006, 08:29 PM
I use the optimum line of polishes and menzerna PO85RD. I would look into menzerna or poorboy`s polishes when using them by PC, optimum takes too long to break down via DA machine.

White95Max
01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I use the Poorboy`s polishes on my Mazda and they work great.

http://www.poorboysworld.com

http://www.exceldetail.com

The PC is most definitely what you need. A rotary is the better choice for experienced detailers, but they can easily put your clearcoat in a LOT of danger if used improperly. So yes, order that PC 7424 and the swirls will slowly disappear from your paint.

While you`re at it, buy some waffle weave drying towels and a nice sheepskin wash mitt. If you can`t wash your car properly, you`ll never win the battle against swirls.

MyZmZm
01-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi, I have a red rx-8 and I`ve been babying since I first got it.

Unfortunately, I have fine swirls all over the hood, roof, and the top of the trunk. They`re only noticeable in a lot of sunlight and under flourescent light (i.e at parking lots at night). When I first got the car, I would re-use a sponge while washing, and of course, I regret it. I now understand the importance of microfiber towels and waxing.

At first, I attempted using Zaino`s ZPC, then their wax. I didn`t see any difference. Then I tried Meguiar`s Scratch-X and that didn`t seem to help either. Also, it`s a pain to do the entire top of the car just by hand.

I understand that Porter Cables can help. Would this put my clear coat in any danger? Is it easy to use? Is it worth the money? How long does it take to use it?

Would this one suffice?

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/pc-7424.html

Thanks for the help.

Raptor, I soooo envy you! I am in love with the RX8 :drool: Got lucky enough to take one on a 1hr jaunt (stick of course), and now I`m trying to figure out a way to at least get that engine into my Protege5. I think I`ll be working on that for a while lol

I have the same situation as you - used to use a sponge (but not anymore) and I`ve never really been shown how to properly look after the paint. All my efforts are through trial and error.

As a result, I have a lot of fine swirls and scratches on my beast. I do have the Zaino products, though I`ve not yet tried the ZPC. Because my car is the midnight mica blue, it`s nearly as bad as black for showing everything. I do not have a PC yet, though I am looking into getting one (apparently a tough thing here in Canada). In the meantime, what can be done, and what are the best products to use to at least help minimize the swirls?

Also, through experience, what is the best wax/product combo for use on a dark car? I do like the durability of the Zaino (especially through the winter), and for me it`s given nice shine and depth, but it hasn`t given the jaw-dropping, liquid/wet look I`ve seen on other vehicles. This is what I want for my baby.

White95Max
01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
In the meantime, what can be done, and what are the best products to use to at least help minimize the swirls?

Wash properly to avoid adding more swirls. Use a wax with fillers to hide some of the swirls for the time being.

Also, through experience, what is the best wax/product combo for use on a dark car? I do like the durability of the Zaino (especially through the winter), and for me it`s given nice shine and depth, but it hasn`t given the jaw-dropping, liquid/wet look I`ve seen on other vehicles. This is what I want for my baby.

If you have $100 to spend, Wolfgang sealant + Souveran. :) Hey, you said the best!

Tasty
01-12-2006, 09:27 PM
How do you like your P5? I am interested in getting one, or a Vibe or Matrix or something of that sort.

Raptor2k
01-12-2006, 09:49 PM
I use the Poorboy`s polishes on my Mazda and they work great.

http://www.poorboysworld.com

http://www.exceldetail.com

The PC is most definitely what you need. A rotary is the better choice for experienced detailers, but they can easily put your clearcoat in a LOT of danger if used improperly. So yes, order that PC 7424 and the swirls will slowly disappear from your paint.

While you`re at it, buy some waffle weave drying towels and a nice sheepskin wash mitt. If you can`t wash your car properly, you`ll never win the battle against swirls.

Thanks, which SSR would you recommend?

MyZmZm
01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
How do you like your P5? I am interested in getting one, or a Vibe or Matrix or something of that sort.

How do I love my P5? Let me count the ways... :D Honestly though, if you`re looking for a practical car, with a good amount of room for hauling stuff (or not, as the case may be), that is an absolute blast to drive, hands-down I`d recommend it. And definitely over the Matrix or Vibe; they are boats compared to the nimbleness of the Protege5. :xyxthumbs Find one and take it for a test-drive, then take a Matrix or Vibe over the same course. The P5 will be the clear winner.

Maxi, I thought you were recommending Natty`s or Poorboys to me before?? You`re going to get me so mixed up!!! :lol

Raptor2k
01-12-2006, 10:34 PM
MyZmZm, instead of swapping for the Renesis rotary, why not just buy the rx8? It would definitely be easier, and in my opinion, worth it. Engine swapping, in my opinion, comes close to rocket science ;)

White95Max
01-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Maxi, I thought you were recommending Natty`s or Poorboys to me before?? You`re going to get me so mixed up!!! :lol

Nattys is made by Poorboys. It`s a great choice IMO because it`s a great wax for an affordable price. If you`d rather get Souveran for 4 times as much money, that`s up to you.

Raptor... That depends on how bad your swirls are. SSR2 would hopefully be enough for your RX-8 since it`s pretty new. But SSR2.5 is by far the polish I use the most on my clients` cars.

Raptor2k
01-13-2006, 12:21 AM
White95...could you recommend an alternative to Poorboy`s...at the moment I`m having trouble with Paypal =/

Raptor2k
01-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Actually, nevermind, I found an alternative site. I`ll try out the SSR2 with the Porter Cable and some pads as soon as I get them. I really hope it`s worth the money, thanks for the help.

White95Max
01-13-2006, 10:57 AM
If I were you, I`d pick up SSR2 and SSR2.5. Then get a blue pad, green pad, and yellow pad. That way you should be well-prepared to tackle those swirls. People often underestimate how deep/severe their swirls are. That leaves a lot of people disappointed in the results, because they`re trying to remove the swirls with a product that is too gentle.