PDA

View Full Version : Road Salt Stain

Pages : [1] 2

exile
01-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I have tried washing several times and used ScratchX once to try and get the white stain off behind the front wheels on my Torch Red Chevy. The stains remain. Before I do anything else (polish, glaze), I thought I ought to check with you good people. What`s the best way to get rid of these stains? I have an assortment of Menzerna products (FPII, FTG, FMJ). I don`t want to seal the stain under a wax or sealant. What do I do?

Setec Astronomy
01-11-2006, 03:00 PM
That doesn`t sound like a salt stain, are you sure it isn`t road paint or something? Pictures?

zippymbr
01-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Have you tried clay or an APC yet?

White95Max
01-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Was the car sealed/waxed before winter?

I have never had a problem with staining from salt. I often get a film built up on the paint from the salty slush, but never anything that is really stubborn.

Pictures would help.

exile
01-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. No, not paint, and sorry, camera is missing or lost so no pic`s. This stain is like a ash colored haze right behind the front tire, and to a lesser degree the back tires as well. The paint wraps around into the wheel well about two and a half, may three inches. Yes, I put a sealant on the car before the road salt was laid down the first time. It does seem to be the film you speak of, but this is stubborn. I have plenty of PO85RD and unless we can figure out a better solution, I will attack it with that. I`m hoping it`s not pitting from the chemicals and pea gravel they spread around here. I have not examined close enough to determine if that`s a problem.

Thanks again for your quick replies and if anyone else has suggestions, please do.......Tom

PS: The pea gravel is mostly a problem on the street I live on here at the top of Soco Mountain and I crawl through it, never exceeding 5 MPH to keep the gravel from hitting the car with any velocity.

Accumulator
01-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Since you`re gonna be redoing the LSP anyhow, you might try some vinegar. I`d also try claying while the vinegar is dwelling, but expect it to eat/dissolve the clay pretty badly.

You could cut through it (and a bit of clear too) with the Menzerna polish but I`d consider that a last resort. I`d also hate for you to wate the now-discontinued product on something where you could use a different approach.

I`d aslo consider a different LSP, something that`ll provide protection against this happening again.

I agree that this is a weird problem...I`ve never had it happen and I`ve lived in Ohio all my life (some nasty winters here). Any chance it`s some kind of sling from the stuff you dress your tires with?

imported_Gears
01-11-2006, 04:59 PM
I`ve never seen a salt stain that didn`t come off with water. Is it possible that its not salt but a

de-icer? Here in western PA they use a liquid de-icer on bridge decks. The stuff sprays out automaticlly when the temperatuire drops below freezeing.

Still I`ve never had any staining from this.

Intercooled
01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Maybe try an AIO or like product first. Test a small area. I will get a film on my car from the salt over the winter. When I do my spring clean-up/detail, AIO will remove it instantly.

exile
01-11-2006, 06:01 PM
OK my friends, I will try each of these suggestions. Maybe a dilute APC, vinegar, then clay. If any of these steps works alone, I will report back with the solution. I have practically a full 32oz`s of PO85RD and the small amount I`d use on the quarter panes would be well worth it if I need to go that far. LSP`s I have include NXT liguid, FMJ, and Natty`s Blue. I know the insulator wax would be excellent protection for this but I don`t have it and don`t want to pay the freight considering I am moving to Sarasota in a week or ten days and should be able to find it in one of the many marine shops there. In the meantime, I will try your suggestions. I`d love to arrive in sunny Florida with a nice clean car. .........Tom

PS: I dress the tires with Stoner`s "More Shine Less Time", I usually give the product plenty of time to dry. I don`t think that is the problem, but I`ll leave that open for discussion. Seems I have recently read some disquieting remarks about Stoner`s MSLT on this forum.

Louie
01-11-2006, 06:46 PM
I came across a ash colored haze behind the wheels on the paint of a Toyota Sienna that would not wash off. I used Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner #1 and it came right off. You might try that or a similar chemical cleaner. This was in south Florida - definitely not a result of road salting.

exile
01-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks Lou, I`ll keep that in mind too........Tom

MorBid
01-11-2006, 07:29 PM
I know (or think I know ) what he`s talking about. I first noticed it the first winter with my Brilliant Black Audi (last) and began noticing it this Winter too.

Rear of the front wheel wells (bottom), all along the bottom of the rockers, and the rear wheel wells (bottom). It has to be coming from the road salt cause it only happens in the winter.

I tried bug & tar remover, polishing and Prep-Sol. Nothing takes it off.

My good friend and neighbor has a Black Jag and I noticed it on his car in the same areas while detailing it. He`s a State Policeman and he said he would ask the guys who work the Salt Trucks on the Thruway if they are doing something with the salt or adding something to the mix before it`s spread.

exile
01-11-2006, 07:32 PM
MorBid, Yep, I think that`s it. Now, if we can find a good way to remove it. I will try the suggestion above and report back.........Tom

MorBid
01-11-2006, 07:49 PM
I have some Pinnicale Bodywork Cleansing Lotion but I think I tried it last time and it didn`t work. I`ll try it again then and report back too.

exile
01-13-2006, 12:23 AM
OK, I tried claying today, only about ten minutes on one side behind front wheel well. I can report there`s considerable improvement although I have a ways to go. I used the standard clay that comes in the Mequiar`s OTC Clay Detail box. Looks like if I go another ten minutes on that wheel well I might have it. Just checking, but this clay , used with lots and lots of lubricant can`t hurt the paint assuming I am using the clay correctly, right? I have used clay several times before on other vehicles and I think I have the technique down pretty good, but I`m curious if there are any thoughts on paint damage by claying. Thanks for your consideration and help.........Tom