PDA

View Full Version : need help: hazing on a black miata

manmanSS
01-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 02 black miata thats in pretty good paint shape but around the hood/fender on the passenger side I have noticed hazing of product. I cant seem to get rid of it.

I used

wash

mothers clay

Meg glaze

Meg yellow wax

But around that area there always seems to be some product left or something that causes a wierd reflection, it is definately not a paint defect as when I wipe it the pattern changes.

I dont know how to get rid of it, any help would be great and sorry for the newb question

zippymbr
01-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Looks like you need to do a light polish. Like maybe FP or OCP with a finnish pad. If you get a chance post some pics.

manmanSS
01-11-2006, 08:47 AM
I have a feeling its Meg 7 not being removed properly, can I use something to remove all previous products and start with a clean slate.....

I normally use neg gold class wash, would it be a good idea to use some dawn or should I just get some sort of a cleaner

thanks

I will try and post pics

BobD
01-11-2006, 09:02 AM
The Meguiar`s could be leaving a film behind do to not removing it properly.

aaron33
01-11-2006, 09:04 AM
#7 is pretty tough to remove once dry, but it is water soluble and should come off with your car shampoo. Otherwise, it is good to have AIO or even ScratchX as a paintcleaner. Good for those shoe scuffmarks on the skirting area that a claybar has difficulty removing.

You know the proper way to buff #7? Let it skin (not dry), wipe off the top layer, leave it for a few minutes to skin again and then wipe off. Do it about 3-4 times and you will have a nice smooth surface without residue or weird reflections.

Accumulator
01-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Or just use a different glaze. #7 looks nice when all goes well, but #3/#5/#81/Deep Crystal step #2 all look pretty good too, and they`re a lot more user-friendly. Sometimes a certain vehicle just doesn`t seem to take to a certain product and rather than beat myself up I just use something else.

imported_Neothin
01-11-2006, 10:37 AM
I have a feeling its Meg 7 not being removed properly, can I use something to remove all previous products and start with a clean slate.....

I normally use neg gold class wash, would it be a good idea to use some dawn or should I just get some sort of a cleaner

thanks

I will try and post pics

A 50/50 water/IPA spray down will bring you back to bare paint if you want to redo your process.

manmanSS
02-16-2006, 07:15 PM
I know its been a while, but just tried again and some product is hazing, I dont think its something I am uing since all I used is Meg`s Cleaner wax..... I am frustrated how do I remove whatever product that was on and start with a clean slate....

Thanks guys

Also I have some swirl removal to do, would SSR2.5 be a good idea to use with hand or a regular random orbital buffer....or is it a PC job only....

manmanSS
02-17-2006, 09:53 AM
help guys please :)

racingbeat
02-17-2006, 10:05 AM
I had a smiliar deal so I put away the Klasse and Automagic

and went for the 3M rubbing compound (by hand).

Followed up with the 3M swirl remover (by hand) and the usual Klasse twins.

these are some results, again I did this by hand, and I got rid of that hazing on the corner of the hood near the fenders. I ended up doing the whole car instead of just the problem areas. A familiar disease to many I`m sure.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/278000-278999/278357_23_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/278000-278999/278357_12_full.jpg

with the summer racing wheels and Falken Azenis.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/278000-278999/278357_109_full.jpg

Louie
02-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Seems like you are comfortable with over the counter products. Meguiar`s Deep Crystal #1 cleaner is a chemical cleaner that should remove any residue on the paint by hand. AIO works the same way, though I have not compared the 2 products back to back. Meg`s DC#2 is more user friendly than #7 as a glaze, the results are similar.

manmanSS
02-17-2006, 10:32 AM
I was very comfy with Over the counter products but I am picking up some SSR products and maybe a PC soon so.....time for some new toys :)

I will try the cleaner or should I just go at it with SSR2 once I get my PC

Louie
02-17-2006, 07:56 PM
The mantra you will hear over and over again here is to always try the least aggressive product first. It would be foolish to immediately try SSR2 and a cutting pad when SSR1 and a polishing pad (and a little time) will get the job done. I`d start with Meg`s DC #1 or AIO first, if it doesn`t work, move to SSR1 and a polishing pad then up to SSR2 - I`d start with a polishing pad before I moved to a cutting pad, especially if it is only certain areas and not the whole car.

manmanSS
02-18-2006, 10:09 AM
that NA is beautiful....

I will try with SSR1 and a polishing pad