SilverLexus
01-09-2006, 01:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/fc/Business/Automobiles_and_Driving/

SilverLexus
01-09-2006, 01:44 PM
A better link: http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/

BobD
01-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Now lets just hope Chevy doesn`t ruin the production model like the Impala, Malibu, Nova, and Monte.

pontman43
01-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Yep, knew about this a while ago thanks to Camaroz28.com. Looks like it should be cool, just wish it had more power, maybe 500-600hp. ;)

I hope the build quality is good and the price too. Think my dad found his new car!

SilverLexus
01-09-2006, 02:58 PM
400 hp is not enough? I guess it depends on weight...I`m sure any number of aftermarket folks will offer 500hp.

TN9thSi
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Don`t count on it having an insane HP rating. Keep in mind that it can`t be more powerful than the Corvette. That would just be morally wrong. As for the concept, I really like it a lot. It has enough classic Camaro cues and still manages to look modern and powerful. I just hope GM doesn`t water it down for production and take away all the great lines of the car. I also hope for a fresh, modern interior, unlike the Mustang.

4830Deuce
01-09-2006, 03:15 PM
im sure the hp is underated. A buddy of mine on the GM design team said the only real life version they have is one or two clay models and a fiberglass body model/car thats at the autoshow, it really is just a car in theory at the moment...if u look at the current car/model the interior is way too `out there` for anything GM is willing to pay for, my best guess from the info my buddy can tell me is that it is almost a for sure thing and they are already gearing up on the future design plans...how watered down its going to be is yet to be seen, its really sad that concepts are really so cool these days and the production models are just crap...thats one of the reasons the Mustang has done so well in my mind... it really kept a good deal of its concept design...

-Justin

WSUcommuter
01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
This is not the first Camaro concept that had the entire ruckus kicking up dust. I just hope GM learns from Ford and copies the Mustang in terms of what works versus what caused the F-bodies to die in the first place. Just my .02

Setec Astronomy
01-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Um...the F-Bodies died because everybody buys trucks and SUV`s...and GM needed the F-Body plants for that.

WSUcommuter
01-09-2006, 05:08 PM
F-Bodies died because of more than the need for trucks and SUVs. Otherwise that same logic would have killed the Mustang, right?

Setec Astronomy
01-09-2006, 05:18 PM
How about GM blinked before Ford? The pony-car market is a lot more viable with one make, instead of 3. Elighten us as to the other reasons.

WSUcommuter
01-09-2006, 05:28 PM
There is no Camaro-only magazine or Firebird-only magazine, but there are at least FIVE Mustang magazines. I think this alone should speak to what Ford had going right versus what GM had going wrong.

Setec Astronomy
01-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Sheesh, you said that GM shouldn`t make the same mistakes over, so I was just curious what those were....I don`t think there not being any magazines was the reason, but what do I know, I`m not a car exec.

1 Clean WS6
01-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Don`t count on it having an insane HP rating. Keep in mind that it can`t be more powerful than the Corvette. That would just be morally wrong.

The LS2 in the current GTO is rated exactly the same as in a C6. This is a big thorn in f-body folks side since we got the "can`t be stronger" than the Vette crap for 35 years.

WSUcommuter this is a great magazine that has 4-th gen f-bod`s for about 90% of its features.... http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/

I`m glad they are bringing this car back BUT....I like Pontiacs and alas I think the Firebird is KIA for good. :sadpace:

FYI...the rumor mill has it that this concept car will be at the annual f-body "Gathering" car show here in Atlanta this spring.

WSUcommuter
01-09-2006, 06:00 PM
GM needed the F-Body plants for that.

PLANT not PLANTS, if you are referring to the end of the F-Body production run in 2002. F-body sales had dropped consistently since the mid-80`s as the Mustang outsold year after year. The last production plant was Ste. Therese in which opened in 1991, if I recall correctly.

I`m not saying the F-body was a horrid car, I`m just saying it would be foolish of GM to produce the new Camaro in the same manner that caused the very demise of the previous generation.

The magazine point I was trying to make intended to display the higher aftermarket for the Mustang compared to the F-body. (I am not stating F-bodies had no aftermarket either.) American culture plays an important role in pony cars, and to deny this will end up with loss of profitability. Consumers in our economy dictate production needs. It made no sense to keep an entire plant open for less than 50,000 cars a year.