PDA

View Full Version : Simple Green and Brake Dust

Pages : [1] 2

Malachi71
01-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Does anyone know if Simple Green will remove brake dust on Alloy Wheels?

Would it be safe to use on them since they are factory clear coated?

Accumulator
01-09-2006, 10:10 AM
People use Simple Green on brakedust, but some have reported that it messed up the finish of the wheels. I`d stick with a regular wheel cleaner for jobs like this.

BobD
01-09-2006, 10:16 AM
People use Simple Green on brakedust, but some have reported that it messed up the finish of the wheels. I`d stick with a regular wheel cleaner for jobs like this.

Amen to that! I have seen Simple Green mess up a lot of engine parts..it turns the aluminum parts white and same thing for the rubber. Although I use Simple Green all the time for cleaning pads and other items. I would never use it on the exterior of the car will it will show.

imported_Neothin
01-09-2006, 10:41 AM
If your set on using an APC, those made by poorboy`s and Meg`s are both great (there are more, but these are the only ones I`ve used :D ). As accumulator said though, why not just use a conventional wheel cleaner?

Malachi71
01-09-2006, 01:20 PM
If your set on using an APC, those made by poorboy`s and Meg`s are both great (there are more, but these are the only ones I`ve used :D ). As accumulator said though, why not just use a conventional wheel cleaner?

What does Megs sell that is good for cleaning brake dust. Is it safe for clear coated alloy`s?

DuMouixe
01-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I used it at 40:1 or 20:1 ( fill the bottle with water and top it off with cleaner )

And never just let it set until it dries, doh. Keep it wet and things moving. Wipe down the

wheels with a microfiber before they spot. You will have to re-apply a quick-wax every time.

If you feel your brakes are filthy, which happens, you could try a 5:1 solution the first time.

Beyond 5:1 or even 3:1 I haven`t ever seen an improvement of it`s cleaning power.

It is pretty caustic stuff so I`d recommend the 40:1 and weekly cleanings. I also think it does a nice job of closing up the vinyl pores on sidewalls.

If you just use Simple Green straight out of the bottle or even 5:1 on a regular basis, it will be too strong and eat through the clears and chew stuff up.

But that`s me, I`ve been using it for 13 years and I`d like to find something easier and milder myself.

But brake dust, yeah Simple Green will get it.

ceiol
01-09-2006, 02:15 PM
What does Megs sell that is good for cleaning brake dust. Is it safe for clear coated alloy`s?

try this

http://www.cruzinonchrome.com/Meguiars_Hot_Rims_large.JPG

that should work fine

DuMouixe
01-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, unless someone shows you how to use Simple Green on wheels in person, it`s real easy to screw it up.

I used it at 40:1 or 20:1 ( fill a sprayer bottle with water and top it off with cleaner )

Never just let it set until it dries, doh. Keep it wet and things moving. Rinse thoroughly. Rinse thoroughly. Rinse thoroughly. Wet wheel, tire and brakes prior. Wet all brushes prior to touching the wheels. Wipe down wheels before they spot.

It does strip wax and it does eat clear. But it`s A no. 1 on brake dust.

DuMouixe
01-09-2006, 02:22 PM
And rinse your brushes immediately, BEFORE THE WHEEL, or you will be tossing the brushes, goodnight.

Mikeyc
01-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, unless someone shows you how to use Simple Green on wheels in person, it`s real easy to screw it up.

I used it at 40:1 or 20:1 ( fill a sprayer bottle with water and top it off with cleaner )

Never just let it set until it dries, doh. Keep it wet and things moving. Rinse thoroughly. Rinse thoroughly. Rinse thoroughly. Wet wheel, tire and brakes prior. Wet all brushes prior to touching the wheels. Wipe down wheels before they spot.

It does strip wax and it does eat clear. But it`s A no. 1 on brake dust.

And rinse your brushes immediately, BEFORE THE WHEEL, or you will be tossing the brushes, goodnight.

Sounds like it`s just not worth it to use Simple Green. It just seems too easy to screw up. I think people are better off if they don`t know what they`re doing to just to use a conventional gentle wheel cleaner.

Malachi71
01-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Sounds like it`s just not worth it to use Simple Green. It just seems too easy to screw up. I think people are better off if they don`t know what they`re doing to just to use a conventional gentle wheel cleaner.

Is Simple Green worth using in the engine compartment?

Accumulator
01-10-2006, 10:13 AM
I don`t use it in the engine compartment because of the way it can permanently stain aluminum and some plastics. I haven`t used it on *anything* automotive since the time I used it to degrease a thirty year old Jag`s undercarriage. Worked well for that, but it was an extreme situation (first time it`d ever been cleaned, so you can imagine...).

There are plenty of APCs/degreasers that don`t hurt anything, so I just don`t see a reason to use Simple Green for detailing. Yeah, it`s cheap, but having one component refinished would wipe out the savings....

BobD
01-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I don`t use it in the engine compartment because of the way it can permanently stain aluminum and some plastics. I haven`t used it on *anything* automotive since the time I used it to degrease a thirty year old Jag`s undercarriage. Worked well for that, but it was an extreme situation (first time it`d ever been cleaned, so you can imagine...).

There are plenty of APCs/degreasers that don`t hurt anything, so I just don`t see a reason to use Simple Green for detailing. Yeah, it`s cheap, but having one component refinished would wipe out the savings....

I totally agree with Accumulator.

captainkeys
01-10-2006, 02:13 PM
I usually use it in a bucket of hot water with a scoop of oxi-clean to pre-soak all of my MF`s

After that run them in the washer with some Tide free and they come out like new! :spot

Asonyexec
01-10-2006, 02:23 PM
I think Meg`s APC (all purpose cleaner) works great on break dust, best part is that you can use it on just about any part of the car, making it very cost effective - just dilute the product appropriately. It`s part of their professional line so you won`t find it at pep boys or kragen`s. Try looking online or at the local autobody/paint supply store.

even works great around the house, I use it for just about everything.