PDA

View Full Version : computer trouble

jchetty
01-08-2006, 03:32 PM
:angry :angry omg omg..my desktop is one :hairpull so i go to help a friend out the usual :grinno: he got cable (finally) :grinno: and when i come home my desktop wont boot :work: so i start in safe mode nothing :wall my desktop previously had a back up hard drive with linux but i gave it to a friend who outgrew their hard drive and traded for some stuff...fast forward to today, man i wish i had my back up hard drive...but so i go to my contigency plans. a few cd`s of backup things + install cd`s = me having a long night :furious: ...guys make sure u have a back up hard drive, or backup the things u really cherish like pics. u dont get a 2nd chance...sorry for the long post had to vent :sadpace: i`ll be replacing my hard drive soon, prior to wiping it it wouldnt even start in safe mode sob..sob ***make sure when u buy upgrades or anything..keep all install cds..the most important being the restore that come with ur computer :woohoo:

atticdog
01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
before you do anything to your HD get another one and install windows then hook your old one up as a slave and boot into windows off the new one then look at the old drive in explorer and you might be able to save files

Just because it wont boot doesnt mean you lost all your data

jchetty
01-08-2006, 05:13 PM
before you do anything to your HD get another one and install windows then hook your old one up as a slave and boot into windows off the new one then look at the old drive in explorer and you might be able to save files

Just because it wont boot doesnt mean you lost all your data

i would of done that but the few files i do have on my computer are unimportant..im thankful to have a laptop..i use my desktop to upload photos *it has gigabit ethernet card* and to rip ppl new ones in halo :), my bros computer though i did exactly what u said when his starting acting up last year, im guessing ur in the industy :D

WSUcommuter
01-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I save all my "non-replaceable" files on discs and once a year completely reformat the hard drive, reinstalling from scratch. I have done this for years now and have yet to have a drive crash :)