PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Car Wash / Shampoo - to be used on a weekly basis

Pages : [1] 2

oak3x
01-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Even though my car is a garage queen, I am addicted to washing it every week or two. Understanding how frequent washings can strip wax, I want to use the most gentle product available.

I have read alot of the threads on this topic, but there are four (4) products I was wondering if anyone has compared:

Exclusiv Glanz Shampoo

P21S Bodywork Shampoo

TOL Bubble Bath

Optimum QEW (used as a wash)

Additionally, any thoughts about using these products in a Foam Gun...how they would work? I was thinking about the method of Foam Gun, Rinse, and Leaf Blower to dry.

Thanks

Dave

aaron33
01-08-2006, 06:26 AM
If you wax your car every month, I think the shampoos your described shouldn`t take off too much of your wax to leave no protection.

imported_Neothin
01-08-2006, 07:35 AM
TOL`s soap is awesome, especially by foam gun. Gentle on LSP`s and enough cleaning power to get off whatever is on your car. You may also want to try poorboy`s super slick and suds. This is very similar to bubble bath but has a little more cleaning power.

ZaneO
01-08-2006, 08:13 AM
I`ve used TOL Bubble Bath and P21s. Both are great options for a very mild soap that leave a nice finish. I haven`t used either with my foam gun, but I`d imagine they would do well with the way they suds/foam in the bucket.

cgc2
01-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Upon receipt of my Foam Gun, I ran some 1z Pearl through it, along with Smart Carwash.

While almost out of the 1Z product, the Smart Carwash will replace it as it performs for me much like 1z, and works great in the foam gun.

I recommend your approach of using the Foam Gun, and then a leaf blower(electric).

I myself have come to the conclusion that I can "generally" get by with a wet wash once every two weeks using the Foam Gun, while maintaining a clean car between those washes by California Duster, followed by either using QEW or a QD/Detail Spray.

Then I just hit it with some OCW if I am in the mood or time permitting.

Hope this helps.

docker
01-08-2006, 08:52 AM
I agree with aaron33 that if you are waxing monthly weekly washing should not be a problem. You should be cautioned, however, not to use too much soap or else you might leave a soap film on the car, thus covering the slickness.

Typically I use just a little less soap then recommended and wash each section 2x using sheep skin mits and the 2 bucket method. Also, when I am done washing & drying I go over the entire car, lightly, with PB Spray & Wipe to make sure all the soap film is off and the surface retains it`s slickness. Before I started using PB S&W I thought for sure that the sealant or wax was gone because it wasn`t slick after w&d, however, it apparently was the soap film.

Also, IMO, just about any name brand soap will be gentle enough for your wax if you don`t use more than recommended. Being the paranoid that I am, I typically will only use soap from the same manuf as the top coat on the car, somehow believing there is better compatibility this way (WG Sealant->WG Autobath, Nattys->PB SSS, UPP->Ult Auto Wash, etc)

Hope this helps.

Accumulator
01-08-2006, 09:55 AM
I usually wash my garage-queens with the same Griot`s Car Wash that I use on the drivers, I just dilute it a bit more. But the mildest shampoo I`ve ever tried is Meguiar`s #00. I used to use that on the Jag just for the mildness.

Oh, and I`d always try any shampoo at a milder dilution than recommended. The makers want you to use as much as you can as fast as you can (so you buy more, among other reasons).

Spilchy
01-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Mildest? I`d say Meguiar`s #00 or Meguiar`s #62. Especially given your wash frequency on a garage queen. The #62 would work better in the foam gun as #00 does not really sud up, but it is super lubricated. I would definately use the foam gun and leaf blower method to greatly reduce the chances of marring the paint given the frequency of washings.

You sound like my neighbor who has a garage queen, car covered, 1978 Mercedes 450SEL w/ 24,000 miles on it. But, his has not been driven in almost 2 years except out of the garage for me to do bi-weekly washes in warm weather and coats of Pinncale Crystal Mist when it`s too cold to wash. I`ll take the $30 for the 20 minute QD job! It`s crazy. (In fact I`m doing it tomorrow - 50 degrees out).

Accumulator
01-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Spilchy- If your neighbor`s SEL were a 6.9 I`d be asking for his phone number ;) Might want it anyhow if he ever decides to sell.

I never tried #00 in the foamgun...no suds huh?

imported_DARKSTI
01-08-2006, 12:41 PM
TOL BB FTW! My favorite wash, very gentle but cleans great and works well with a foam gun.

tom p.
01-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Meg`s #00 (1 oz per 2 gallons of water) :getdown

SilverLexus
01-08-2006, 01:29 PM
P21S and Poorboys Super Slick are my two favorites. Much better than any Megs in my opinion.

Spilchy
01-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Much better than any Megs in my opinion.

Yeah, if you`re talking about Gold Class or NXT which can be harsh on LSP`s if too concentrated.

The Meguiar`s #00 Hi-Tech Wash from the Mirror Glaze line is a detregnt free wash and is used in body shops to clean fresh paint and as lubricant for wet sanding. I think it`s one of the most lubricating washes I have used. It does not foam, so there are no suds.

All the recommendations are good ones, but if he wants a true delicate wash, it`s hard to beat #00.

jfelbab
01-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Maybe if it`s a garage queen you might consider using a car cover. All you need is something light to keep the dust off, right?

Mad iX
01-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Since it hasn`t been mentioned yet, I`ll say Poorboys SSS. Feels very gentle and slick to me.

QEW would be good as well, as it leave some protection of its own.

Otherwise you could use a QD that enhances protection.

I think I`ll try some #00 as well.