PDA

View Full Version : QEW or Spray & Wipe vs. Quick Detailer during winter

joeyb7
01-04-2006, 07:05 PM
I was just hoping someone could clear this up for me. Is QEW and poorboys Spray & wipe more or less cleaners, not quick detailers?

If I were to go to a touchless wash during the winter, would you go with spray & wipe then mf`s after the wash vs a QD? I`m wondering this because I would think that all the dirt wouldn`t be off the paint after a touchless wash.

Lastly, if I don`t want to polish/wax after every wash in the summer, do I simply use a QD and wipe off with MF`s after a wash? Or can you spray a QD on the car while it`s still wet before drying it off? I`m assuming I wouldn`t use spray & wipe in the summer when I can use a good two bucket wash.

Thanks everyone!

Sherman8r44
01-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Lastly, if I don`t want to polish/wax after every wash in the summer, do I simply use a QD and wipe off with MF`s after a wash? Or can you spray a QD on the car while it`s still wet before drying it off? I`m assuming I wouldn`t use spray & wipe in the summer when I can use a good two bucket wash.

Thanks everyone!

Can`t answer the first questions, but yes S&W after a wash is redundant. It would be excellent in between washes, though! Certain QD`s can be applied wet, my favorite being the easily available Mothers FX Spray Wax. It looks great, is easy to use (just spray and wipe dry), and leaves some polymer protection behind.

Also, QEW more similar to a wash than a QD--the only difference between QEW and other washes is that it requires no rinsing before drying. S&W though is a QD that excels at cleaning.

joeyb7
01-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Can`t answer the first questions, but yes S&W after a wash is redundant. It would be excellent in between washes, though! Certain QD`s can be applied wet, my favorite being the easily available Mothers FX Spray Wax. It looks great, is easy to use (just spray and wipe dry), and leaves some polymer protection behind.

Also, QEW more similar to a wash than a QD--the only difference between QEW and other washes is that it requires no rinsing before drying. S&W though is a QD that excels at cleaning.

Thanks - so I would assume that in the winter, QD`s are basically out of the question (if you don`t wash by hand), but in the summer, a good QD would be a great alternative to whipping out the PC on a weekly basis... especially if you already have a nice few coats of wax/polish, and use a wash that will be gentle on all your hard work from the last week! Also, is a product marketed specifically as a spray wax exactly the same thing as a quick detailer?

Sherman8r44
01-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks - so I would assume that in the winter, QD`s are basically out of the question (if you don`t wash by hand), but in the summer, a good QD would be a great alternative to whipping out the PC on a weekly basis... especially if you already have a nice few coats of wax/polish, and use a wash that will be gentle on all your hard work from the last week! Also, is a product marketed specifically as a spray wax exactly the same thing as a quick detailer?

You`re welcome! Well, there are many types of quick detailers, some having lots of cleaning ability and very little gloss/protection (like S&W) while others, which can be called spray waxes, have no cleaning ability but quite a bit of gloss/protection (like FX). Then, there are some QD`s, like Mothers Showtime, Eagle One Wipe n Shine, etc. that do some of each. Waxes and sealants can last for quite a while, but to extend their shine, protection and slickness a spray wax QD like FX would be perfect. Really, if you used it weekly it could be a standalone wax!

QEW might be your ticket through the winter. I haven`t used it, but many like it because you can use it in a garage and without a hose, yet it still does a good job of washing the car. If you do use it, you could use a gloss QD like FX immediately afterward. Or you could use S&W extremely often to keep your car clean, and a gloss QD afterward.

Bioman
03-18-2006, 04:34 PM
1) Doesn`t the directions for FX Spray Wax say spray on, rub in, let haze and then wipe off?

2) Isn`t it the same for all spray waxes?

3) Is Mother`s Reflections Spray Wax as easy to use as FX?

imported_Larry A
03-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Mothers Reflection Spray Wax is a spray on , wipe in, let dry to a haze, wipe off . Mothers FX Spray wax is a spray and wipe product.

tailwind
03-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Spray & Wipe isn`t a bad idea after going through a touchless. I find that the touchless washes sometimes don`t get the car perfectly clean in the winter. They`ll get the tough stuff, but leave a haze of dirt behind that S&W could clean up.

Sherman8r44
03-18-2006, 08:50 PM
1) Doesn`t the directions for FX Spray Wax say spray on, rub in, let haze and then wipe off?

2) Isn`t it the same for all spray waxes?

3) Is Mother`s Reflections Spray Wax as easy to use as FX?

1) Just spray and wipe like any QD

2) Nope...some need to haze, some don`t

3) NO, it`s needs to haze and you might as well just put on another layer of regular wax

gmblack3
03-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Spray & Wipe isn`t a bad idea after going through a touchless. I find that the touchless washes sometimes don`t get the car perfectly clean in the winter. They`ll get the tough stuff, but leave a haze of dirt behind that S&W could clean up.

I agree.

Even touchless before QEW if the salt is really loaded up on the paint.

Even in the winter a QD is nice after SnW or QEW.

Bioman
03-18-2006, 11:49 PM
I`ve heard some people just apply their spray wax after a wash when drying a car. Can you do this with Reflections SW?

Chan
03-19-2006, 01:30 AM
I`ve heard some people just apply their spray wax after a wash when drying a car. Can you do this with Reflections SW?

With Reflections no, since you have to let it haze.