PDA

View Full Version : Autopia 2006 Roadmap

Bobby G
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
AUTOPIA 2006 ROADMAP

With the coming of each New Year I try to take stock of the previous year and where we’re going in the months ahead. This is my roadmap for 2006.

This year my primary focus will be getting back to basics with new and better education, including:

Articles

Video

Technical Sessions

IT’S ALL ABOUT SHARING KNOWLEDGE… AND SHINY CARS!

In 2001 I introduced the Autopia Guide to Detailing ebook as my primary tool for education. Since then, it has been updated several times and I will continue to add enhancements and updates for several more years.

The book does an okay job providing basic information, but it’s not the same as seeing live demos. For this reason, I will be publishing a video how-to series starting in February. The video shorts will show detailing processes step-by-step with narrative to support the video.

For those who live in or near the San Diego area, I will be conducting hands-on Detailing Tech Sessions and Detailing Clinics. Seating is limited and will be by RSVP only.

Autopia Tech Sessions will be held the last Thursday of every month (starting January, 2006). Each session will cover a different topic in an auditorium area with hands-on work being conducted on test subjects (See my Paint Test/Training Mule (http://autopia.org/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=69)). Tech Sessions will be 2 to 2.5 hours long, with plenty of hands-on time.

Autopia Clinics will be held 1 or 2 Saturdays each month, and will be “Open Registration” or “Club Members Only”. Open Registration Clinics will be highly focused training (e.g., chip and scratch repair, wet sanding, engine detailing, etc.), whereas Club Member Only Clinics will focus on a broad base paint care lesson. Clinic dates will be posted at least 30 days in advance of the event.

In support of clinics and tech sessions, I will add a “Roll Call” feature to the Autopia.org calendar and create a new forum area called “Detailing Events”. Both of these features will be open to anyone who holds detailing technical training events and car show events. The specific purpose of the Roll Call calendar and Detailing Events is to share the event. Use of these new features for selling will not be tolerated.

I will work with anyone who wishes to put on an event in their area. Please contact me via email on david@autopia.org.

BEYOND TRAINING

In 2005 several features of Autopia.org fell victim to software upgrade bugs. I am very committed to fixing and advancing these resources, including:

Autopia Reviews

Autopia Chat

Autopia aBay

Autopia Sponsor Support

In 2006 I will update each of these capabilities, starting with Autopia Chat.

To help pay for the new enhancements and on-going support costs of the community, I will be changing sponsor opportunities and advertising. I don’t want to (and won’t) turn Autopia into a billboard, but The Perfect Shine, LLC can no longer foot the full bill for the community. Like so many others, we will use Google advertising to bring targeted advertising into the community. We will also bring back private sponsor forum areas for sponsors who wish to use Autopia.org to support their products and services (previously Autogeek, CMA and Autopia Car Care had such areas).

MANY THANKS!

I would like thank all of you who made a significant contribution to the Autopia.org community in 2005, in particular the Autopia Moderators. The Autopia.org community remains one of the best places on the internet largely due to how well we conduct ourselves. Sure, we’re all human, and every once in a while will slip and have our small spats, but most differences are handled with civility and respect. That’s as it should be. Thank you.

Looking forward to 2006 in Autopia!

David Bynon

Autopia Mayor