PDA

View Full Version : Tufted Foam Pads?

RAG
01-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Has anyone yet tried the Lake Country Tufted Foam pads?

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foampad_tuft.html

Accumulator
01-03-2006, 11:28 AM
I`ve used them on single stage, especially when I knew I was gonna be cutting a lot of paint off. They didn`t *quite* leave a final finish for me (had to follow up with a conventional pad) and I can`t see any reason to use them on b/c. See what others say as YMMV.

RAG
01-03-2006, 12:16 PM
So they cut similar to a lambwool pad?

Accumulator
01-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Not in my limited experience. They might stay a little cooler than a regular foam pad but they didn`t cut anything like wool for me and I even tried the yellow cutting pad on the rotary with Meg`s #2 (old, rotary-only version). IMO when you need a wool pad you need a wool pad.

JustinR32
01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I`ve tried them, I don`t think there`s any difference between a tufted pad and a plain pad, other than that you pay more for a tufted pad.

There may be a small incremental advantage, but it is really minor, not worth remarking on.

Tom

imported_NYV6Coupe
01-05-2006, 08:53 AM
I`ve used them & was very pleased with the results.

I was doing my Dad`s totally neglected black Mercury & I felt I needed more OOMPF than a std. foam pad. A friend gave me his old 2-speed WEN rotary but I had never used a wool pad or a rotary buffer before so, at the suggestion of Scott P. from specialitymotoringproducts, I opted for the tufted pads.

Same aggressive-to-fine color scheme as the std. Lake Country pads and my Dad`s car turned out great.

Anyone that has used wool pads with a rotary may find that the tufted pads don`t cut quickly enough but, for someone who was chicken to use wool for the first time, it was an excellent "baby step" introduction to using a rotary.