PDA

View Full Version : Same cars, same color - different results. ?s

GTO Pete
01-02-2006, 09:30 PM
My friend and I both maintain the paint on our cars very well. We had our 00 Silver Frost SVTs end to end to compare the paint today and he wasn`t thrilled of how his looked next to mine.

Him:

Mother`s California Gold Pre-Wax Cleaner

Mother`s California Gold Sealer & Glaze

Mother`s California Gold Carnauba

Me

Zaino line

Both cars looked very clean. The difference was in the color they appeared to be:

Mine was a solid, fairly sharp silver.

His was shiny, but appeared to have a yellow hue to it - it was very obvious sitting next to mone.

Now I`ve heard on some other forums that carnauba can have this affect on certain colors. Is this the reason for the yellow hue? Is it the brand used? Can someone elaborate on this please? My friend and I are both curious.

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
01-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Has his car been clayed? Given the brown crap that usually comes off on the clay, I can see that giving it a yellow hue.

pontman43
01-02-2006, 09:55 PM
I dont know...but I know I wanna see your car. :D

jchetty
01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
:showpics

always wanted to say that :LOLOL i love svt focuses.. :grinno: pics pics...esp if one has the 5 door drooldrool :woohoo:

cwcad
01-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Pictures would have helped in this discussion. have not noticed a yellow hue with Mother`s carnuaba. Very interesting. have used both but never side by side with identical vehicles.

Setec has a good point also.

Don
01-03-2006, 03:25 AM
It COULD very well be the carnuaba causing the tint, but again Setec has a good point. The only way to know for sure is to have your friend start from scratch, clay the car and use YOUR process to see if the cars match in color.

With me, it seems like no matter what I use, carnuaba OR synthetic, I always get a yellow hue to my car too...

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Collinite_topped_NXT_paste_004.jpg :lol :lol :lol

Alfisti
01-03-2006, 05:12 AM
With me, it seems like no matter what I use, carnuaba OR synthetic, I always get a yellow hue to my car too...

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Collinite_topped_NXT_paste_004.jpg :lol :lol :lol

:funnypost

Sealants tend to have a clearer *brighter* look compared to carnauba and glazes.

Some glazes, like Mothers S&G, Megs #3,7 etc, contain china clay as a filler, which I assume would have a colour of its own - perhaps an earthy colour like the liquid looks. Perhaps that can create a hue noticable on some colours. :nixweiss

GTO Pete
01-03-2006, 10:20 AM
- Sorry, i hsould have been a little more detailed with the prep:

Both were washed thoroughly and clayed with Mother`s.

- Unfortunately there are no pics as I did not have my camera as "my" car was being picked up by the new owner. :sadwavey:

- I like the suggestion of "redoing" his car with my process. I will try that on one of his doors and leave the one with the Mother`s 3-step.

I`ll be sure to take pictures of the results. I`m interested to see the results and will be sure to have a camera and post the results.

Thanks.