PDA

View Full Version : anyone else worry about rubbing through paint?

imported_steveo3002
01-02-2006, 11:02 AM
i own two 15 yr old vw`s that i try my hardest to keep imacualte, knowing that the cars must have seen some rotary action in the past , im worried that i will rub through the clear one day :(

ive just ordered the pc :waxing: from autopia along with sonus sfx-2 , is that kind to paintwork??

anyone else with a older car worry about wearing the paint/clear off?? i dont want to kill the car with kindness, id sooner keep a few minor swirls than wear the clear off

imported_Neothin
01-02-2006, 11:42 AM
If your worried about rubbing through the clear, you could always go the filler route. A good glaze like one of those made by clearkote, #7, etc etc topped by a heavy wax like #16, insulator wax, 476S, etc will hide a good deal of swirling.

Accumulator
01-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah, "horses for courses" as they say. You gotta tailor the products/process to the individual car. Much as I go on about keeping my S8 and MPV marring free and using a rotary freely on both our Audis, my older cars (all with original paint) can`t take much more abrasive polishing. So on those I use very mild abrasives to take the sharp edge off the marring and then use the kind of fillers/wax approach that Neothin recommended.

But I dunno if I`d automatically assume that your VWs have been polished a lot in the past. It *is* better to err on the side of caution when you don`t know a car`s history though.

And note that it`s not just a matter of rubbing *through* the clear- you can have terminal damage just from thinning it too much (you lose the UV protection which depends on the thickness of the clear).

imported_steveo3002
01-02-2006, 12:39 PM
okay guys, well im getting the sonus sfx 2 in with the deal...so should i use it??

my car only has very light spiderwebbing, i planned to use the pc with sfx 2, then aio/sg and top with insulator wax. id only planned on using the sfx once a year in spring

Lowejackson
01-02-2006, 02:56 PM
SFX-2 is a relatively mild polish and therefore it should be safe to use, assuming the paint is normal thickness. Then I would concentrate on washing safely ie minimising swirls by carefully washing the paint.

ceiol
01-02-2006, 04:26 PM
sure -- use the Sonus polish. Get that car looking as sharp as possible and then, like 90% of the people on this board, keep applying LSPs every other week.

Sheeet -- I admit it, even though it`s raining here in LA, my car that`s in the garage (M3) just received another coat of Souveran.

It`s a disease -- seriously, a damn disease.