PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use belt dressing when detailing engines?

stilez
01-01-2006, 02:12 PM
$2.99 for a 8 oz. bottle from a local car care store.

I had a mild squeak from my serpentine belt after a couple minor spills of rad fluid from a leak. The belt is in great shape except for a couple spots I guess. With the colder weather, I would get a squeak for the first 5 seconds when the car was started.

I decided to do a few applications of the dressing as per instructions (apply and run engine for 3-5 mins) over a 15 minute period. It reduced the squeak to pretty much non-existent.

I will start to use this stuff on my details. I think it will add an extra selling point and its cheap and easy to use/apply.

Are there any negatives about this product I should know about?

For those who don`t know, this is far different from standard dressings. It makes the belt grab better and conditions it too.

Djmigs
01-01-2006, 03:29 PM
yes i have, a buddy of mine who is a mechanic uses it and told me about it.....it will help either lessening the sound or elimanting it completely but just remember for those who have worn out belt it not a miracle solution.....ive used it for sometime with no adverse affect but then again i didnt need to use it often and i always replaced it when needed.....

danwatt
01-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Using belt dressing means you are putting off replacing the belt or tensioner. It`s squealing for a reason. And don`t use it to shine trim up. Get some of that stuff down the intake, goodbye sensors. Just stick to 303 and proper maintenence on your vehicle.

az57chevy
01-02-2006, 08:58 PM
A bar of soap will eliminate the squeak as well :spot

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-03-2006, 06:00 AM
I will start to use this stuff on my details. I think it will add an extra selling point and its cheap and easy to use/apply.

[/i]

Hey Sean,

Personally, I would stay away from doing anything that may affect the mechanical operation of the vehicle. Just imagine what would happen in a case where everything was fine (no squeaks prior to detailing) and then a few weeks after you apply your belt dressing the belt now begins to squeak. I`m not so sure applying a belt dressing during an engine detail is such a good idea.

stilez
01-03-2006, 06:28 AM
Frank: Thanks.

Dano: Thanks for your insight as well.

It seemed like a good idea, but after speaking to some other people it sounds more like those pellets you put in your radiator to make it stop leaking. I was more under the impression it was made to strictly condition the belt to a "like new" condition.

Setec Astronomy
01-03-2006, 08:50 AM
No, it`s more akin to using pine tar on the handle of your baseball bat, it`s sticky stuff to give the belt more grip, which helped for glazed v-belts, but I`ve never needed it on a serpentine.

Horseman2475
01-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Replace with http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.com/cars/gatopoly.html :2thumbs:

66#1
01-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Belt dressing slings like heck too. I fought a squeaky belt for way too long, and I finally broke down and bought a new one.