PDA

View Full Version : Is it easier to mar the paint with a machine?

imported_Guido
12-31-2005, 01:14 AM
I used to put my zaino on by hand. Lately I`ve been doing it with a PC and one of the finishing pads that was recomended in another thread. I`ve found a few small micro scratches in the paint that are in an even loop design. I put the polish on between 5 and 6. Would spraying detailer on the pad help?

thanks

White95Max
12-31-2005, 01:41 AM
I doubt a finishing pad would cause any marring. It`s more likely that there was some dust on the pad/car or something. Or maybe the pad was used in the past with a polish, and the abrasives weren`t completely broken down, leaving some abrasives in the pad?

DCT
12-31-2005, 06:23 AM
When using any tool to apply product (hand applicator, PC pad, or rotary pad), make sure the pad is "primed" before it touches the paint. Using a QD will work "sometimes"... depending on the product being applied. I like to make sure the pad is fully primed with the product that I`m going to apply... whether it be a paint cleaner, polish, wax, or sealant.

imported_Guido
12-31-2005, 10:30 AM
yeah i figured it was dust on the pad or on the car but the pad is brand new, I put the z2 on and let it sit for 45 minutes and covered the pc w/ finishing pad with a plastic ziplock bag. How much more dust free can I get?

white f150- what do you mean prime the pad?

Accumulator
12-31-2005, 11:14 AM
I can`t see how *what`s moving the pad around* could make a difference. Whether the machine moves it or your hand moves it, it`s still just a matter of the pad contacting the paint. Must be either something between the pad and the paint or the pad being/becoming dry at some point. IMO the "loop design" of the marring almost guarantees that some contamination caused the problem.

But light sealants are one thing I prefer to do by hand anyhow, easier for me to get `em on very thin.

White95Max
12-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Priming the pad refers to using water, QD, or the product to get the pad moist before using it on the paint. The idea is that a dry part of the pad may cause marring on the paint. Also, with products like AIO, a light mist of water on the pad helps to spread it thin.

Mike-in-Orange
12-31-2005, 09:36 PM
I put the polish on between 5 and 6.

FWIW I apply waxes/sealants using my PC at a much slower speed, like 3, and just let the weight of the machine sit on the surface, if that even. I`m able to put a much thinner, more uniform layer on this way than I can by hand. I do prime the pad before hitting the paint.

Scottwax
12-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Must be either something between the pad and the paint or the pad being/becoming dry at some point. IMO the "loop design" of the marring almost guarantees that some contamination caused the problem.

Agree 100%. I learned the hard way on my own car when I got something caught under a Meguiars burgandy cutting pad. Took quite some time to get about 90% of the scratches out, the other 10% you can only see from certain angles.

zey
12-31-2005, 11:36 PM
I used to put my zaino on by hand. Lately I`ve been doing it with a PC and one of the finishing pads that was recomended in another thread. I`ve found a few small micro scratches in the paint that are in an even loop design. I put the polish on between 5 and 6. Would spraying detailer on the pad help?

thanks

Guido, I term that "micro scratches in an even loop design" as micro marring.