PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the car in the rain

Flynn
12-30-2005, 02:30 PM
OK. I have a confession....

After a 20 miles trip to my in-laws and back I got the wife and kids out of the 4x4 and then proceeded to spend 20 mins pressure washing it to get all the snow, ice, salt, rain, etc off of it. (High pressure in wheel arches and underneath, low pressure on bodywork and glass)

The wife thought that I was crazy because it was quite windy and definitely still raining but I really couldn`t stand to leave the car covered in all that cr@p.

I have now admitted to her that keeping the car looking nice is going to be an obsession now .......

(I`m thinking of trading in the Supra for a moped so that I can spend more time on the Landcruiser... it`s got near prestine paintwork....)

temposs
12-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Supra for a moped? :nervous:

cwcad
12-30-2005, 03:43 PM
take out a loan... the obcession has only just begun :spot :2thumbs:

LightngSVT
12-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Supra`s are such cool cars, how could you think of geting rid of it?

imported_Neothin
12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
I`ve had to wash in the rain before. With Florida`s crazy weather I`ve started in a perfectly clear day and then 20 minutes later after washing a panel or two it`s suddenly downpouring. I wasn`t about to have a car with just two clean panels so I went inside, switched to a bathing suit and finished. I was rather pissed off an hour after I was done it was clear skys again and the sun baked all the water into a bunch of ugly spots. figures...

Flynn
12-31-2005, 01:52 AM
Supra`s are such cool cars, how could you think of geting rid of it?

You have a point. They are cool cars and I love it but it`s 12 years old and costs a small fortune to keep going. Plus I get precious little time for detailing and I have to split it between two cars.

I shall see what happens in 2006 and if it continues to cost a fortune then I`ll have to get shot of it.

Flynn
12-31-2005, 01:54 AM
Supra for a moped? :nervous:

Very short commute to train station..... the Supra was always going to be over the top for that journey. Moped would be better suited but I do love the Supra.

I think maybe I need talking out of this silly idea.... :confused:

Carl Anderson
12-31-2005, 04:57 AM
There is no cure! I live in Seattle so have to wash my car in between rain showers. I generally do not wash in the rain because this makes drying difficult.

Ed Fisher
12-31-2005, 12:08 PM
Hahaa...!!

I am called "the rainman" because each time I wash and detail it rains the next day or the other day the latest... That is why I wash every other day and QD twice a day...

Wife is fond however; she need not to bother to do anything since I take care of her pocket rocket...

Lowejackson
12-31-2005, 12:14 PM
I would say sell the Supra and buy the bike. Cheap insurance, great fuel efficiency and perfect for short trips. Or keep the Supra as a garage queen for that nice weekend in the summer when it is not raining

Flynn
01-01-2006, 12:27 PM
I would say sell the Supra and buy the bike. Cheap insurance, great fuel efficiency and perfect for short trips. Or keep the Supra as a garage queen for that nice weekend in the summer when it is not raining

I think that might be the plan. I could then spend twice as much time on detailing the Landcruiser and not just trying to keep clean two cars.

Much as I`d like to keep the Supra in the garage that plan would never get past the "Committee of One" ... i.e. my wife. :)

The other alternative to a moped would be an old style Mini. They`re a car I love and cleaning that wouldn`t take too long at all.