PDA

View Full Version : Need Computer Help ASAP

6']['9
12-30-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop, and it keeps locking up on me. This happened after I tried running Photoshop CS, and it locked up, so I did the Ctrl+ALT+Delete, to see if that would work. It didn`t. Now, every time you turn it off, then back on, all I get is a black screen with a blinking icon, and none of the functions work :confused: . When I plug the power into a wall socket, the battery light blinks green once, and orange 3 times. Any suggestions? :think:

stilez
12-30-2005, 02:50 PM
If its Windows XP, press "F12" repeatedly AS SOON AS YOU TURN IT ON. Don`t wait for any specific screen.

Using your arrow keys and enter, select "Diagnostics". This will tell you if your hardware is bad; it sounds like a bad harddrive to me.

ramp
12-30-2005, 02:55 PM
What operating system is installed on your computer? How old is it? Did it operate properly before/For how long? What other programs do you use on a daily basis? What other programs were running when you started Photoshop? Do you always have to shutdown your computer by turning the power off? How did you shutdown your computer before this problem occured? Have you tried hitting the F8 or F2 keys after you power-up? Have you called Dell?

I can`t imagine why Photoshop would cause this type of problem, but I would need a lot more information to even begin assessing possible causes of the problem.

jchetty
12-30-2005, 04:50 PM
has anyone recently opened it up, to install ram or anything else..its definetly sounds like a hardware problem...if you have a s video output or moniter output, connect it to a moniter and fire it up, maybe the moniter might be done..dont know..wish i lived closer

lagniappe
12-30-2005, 04:53 PM
If you have XP and get it booted up, use an earlier restore point when everything was working OK.

6']['9
12-30-2005, 06:50 PM
i dont know what happened. I was using IE and i didnt have anyother programs open but tried to open up PS then it froze for a minute. I alt,cntrl dlted and then the window came up and from there it froze. I dont use that many programs on a daily basis just IE and media player. The dell guy said he thinks it might be the video card or the LCD went out. How do i go about booting it from another computer?

jchetty
12-30-2005, 07:29 PM
also..maybe remove the battery and just have computer plugged into the wall, maybe the battery is dead...many laptops batteries dont last more than 2 years

Tasty
12-30-2005, 09:40 PM
I have posted your problem in the Dell Inspiron forums. There are some very capable people there, just like in this forum, and I will post their thoughts. The flashing LEDs is most likely some kind of code for whatever issue is affecting your system. Browsing other similar posts, it sounds like a major power issue that can`t be fixed and a piece of hardware will have to be replaced. We shall see...

MorBid
12-31-2005, 02:44 AM
I work on this stuff all day, try this.

Take the battery(s) out and see if the machine will boot up off the AC power supply. The batteries will go sometimes and even if your on the AC power the machine will have a probelm booting.

If your only getting a blank screen and not seeing the "Dell logo" or the System Boot up screen (where the RAM gets counted and a display of various system information. Then the machine is not clearing the POST. That`s a hardware/bios issue.

Remember there are 3 stages to a PC/Laptop starting and only the last one is the OS. The first two are related to the System hardware and the BIOS. When those clear the system is said to have "Post" then the machine will try to start off the OS

Scottwax
12-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Restart, keep hitting F8 until you get the diagnostic screen and then bring it up in safe mode. Run a virus and spyware scan to eliminate those as a cause. Also select CHKDISC to run upon next start up and see if that can correct any possible corruption of your hard drive. When is the last time you defraged?

I am having a similar problem with mine, try to do more than a couple things at a time and my computer locks up. My brother has his own computer repair and service business but he is in Tucson until Wednesday. :( He thinks my hard drive might be going out.

6']['9
01-02-2006, 09:13 AM
well i talked to the dell guys and they said its a memory issue, when i took out the memory card and re-inserted it it came up but then froze again. I remember a couple of days before that happened that i got a pop up window telling me "virtual memory low"

anyone think otherwise.

imported_chpsk8
01-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Its not the virtual memory. Thats a different function. I assume you took out the physical RAM and reinserted it back in the slots. Have you done a hard reboot by removing the battery for 5 minutes, then reinserting and rebooting under power?

Have you had any problems with coming out of standby in the recent past?

I have a 5150 and have many little issues with mine.The Dell forum can usually answer it better than the tech people. Are you still under Dell warranty?

jchetty
01-02-2006, 10:05 AM
[`9"]well i talked to the dell guys and they said its a memory issue, when i took out the memory card and re-inserted it it came up but then froze again. I remember a couple of days before that happened that i got a pop up window telling me "virtual memory low"

anyone think otherwise.

i would say its a memory issue..question do u know the amount of ram you computer has, either the ur ram is garbage (<happens but rarely) or something like that. if you know anyone that has the same type of memory lying around, install it and see if that fixes it, if not go to a repair shop let them install the memory to see if that fixes it