PDA

View Full Version : QEW as Clay Lubricant?

manuels_madness
12-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Is it safe to use QEW as a Clay Lubricant? I was going to use regular car wash and water or diluted detailing spray. What do you guys recommend? Also any tips for claying would be great since this is my first time. Thanks in advanced.

imported_chpsk8
12-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Hmmmm... QEW seems slimey I mean slick enough to be a lube. If you have a decent car was solution you can use a highly concentrated solution of wash and water. Just put it in a spray bottle and use plenty of it!

Regular detail spray works good also (don`t dilute it). You just want to use enough of it to give the clay a slick surface to glide on.

Basics steps of clay is to wash the car first, then using liberal lube work in small areas and straight lines work the clay on the paint. Stop and knead the clay frequently.

Light pressure on the clay is best. Any more and you risk marring. You`ll feel the grit through the clay. The first couple times it`s freaky the way the clay grits and grinds along the paint. Just keep lubing and kneading. Work a small area, then clean and inspect it afterwards. Once you feel the paint go slick you`re done in that spot. I usually workt he clay, then run my hand over the spot to see how slick it is. It`s a pretty dirty wet job, dont` be afraid to get your hands into it. It`s the best way to gel with the paint. Claying is a very Zen function. Be the clay... be the clay.... :D

I have clayed using car wash solution and it works really well. I`ve also used QD with similar results. The nice thing about car wash solution is that it`s cheap and you can use liberal amounts of it.

Oh... and don`t drop the clay!!! In fact, the best bet is to take the bar and cut it in half or 1/4 size, that way you don`t contaminate the whole bar. Just use what you need. Once you get the hang of it you`ll be fine. :D

4830Deuce
12-29-2005, 03:34 PM
im yet to try it...though im sure i will one day, try it out and if it starts to drag across the paint switch to a normal lube...

-Justin

Kenney
12-29-2005, 04:25 PM
I think Sean ( GSRstilez) posted a detail when he used a QEW solution for a clay lube, you should ask him about it.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56212

(Shows in the 4th post.)

manuels_madness
12-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Thanks for all the great tips chpsk8. I will defintely follow the words of wisdom. I may try the QEW down the line since I`m a noob at Clayin I`ll just go ahead and use regular wash to be safe. Once I become better at it I`ll venture off with the QEW. Looks like there shouldn`t be an issue. On a side note chpsk8 and 4830Deuce where did u guys get your south park characters from? Did u guys make those yourselves? Thanks guys.

SVR
12-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Yes you can but I find it best to mix it with AIO

Scottwax
12-30-2005, 06:29 AM
I use QEW all the time to clay. Saves on QD. :)

4830Deuce
12-30-2005, 09:58 AM
On a side note chpsk8 and 4830Deuce where did u guys get your south park characters from? Did u guys make those yourselves? Thanks guys.

I made mine...its suppose to look like me...i stole the idea from scott without asking...i feel bad so i might stop using it...

-Justin

imported_chpsk8
12-30-2005, 10:06 AM
There`s a site online where you make characters. I use the same one for most of the forums I visit in case I run into other forum adicts. :D

Google "south park characters" or something like that. My "fun blocker" at work is blockng those sites. I can get it for you when I get home.

After you get the character you put it in some photo editing software (photoshop) then you can chop it up, resize it, add to it, etc... I like 4830dueces, adding in the car is pretty cool.

ya gotta wonder though.. does Scottwax really have a foo man choo like that? LOL :D

imported_topnotch
12-30-2005, 11:02 AM
I have used it as a clay lube with no problems, I have used 2 cap fulls to 32oz, is this too much?

imported_chpsk8
12-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for all the great tips chpsk8. I will defintely follow the words of wisdom. I may try the QEW down the line since I`m a noob at Clayin I`ll just go ahead and use regular wash to be safe. Once I become better at it I`ll venture off with the QEW. Looks like there shouldn`t be an issue. On a side note chpsk8 and 4830Deuce where did u guys get your south park characters from? Did u guys make those yourselves? Thanks guys.

Found the site I used for the SP Characters... South Park Link... (http://images.southparkstudios.com/games/create/)

manuels_madness
12-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I may try QEW down the line I have a ton of car wash solution to eat up for now. :) I`ll save my QEW to wash my car. chpsk8 thanks for the link. I will have fun making a SP icon for myself. I do think though that scottwax was one of the first. I don`t think he minds if we use them too? Do you mind Scott? Anyway thanks to everyone on their input.