PDA

View Full Version : 5ft Rule

Pages : [1] 2

zey
12-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Dear Autopians, I would like to know whether most of you follow the "5ft Rule" when it comes to evaluating detailing result. Any of you observe the finish to the extent of using magnifying glass? Thanks.

danwatt
12-29-2005, 12:05 AM
I use a maginifying glass to determine the extent of some scratches and paint chips.

Alfisti
12-29-2005, 02:52 AM
I tend to use the `5mm rule`. :faint:

cuekaje
12-29-2005, 03:24 AM
I use it for my car. Its daily use and have to park in outside when i go to office :wall . So its not gonna be a perfect car............

Carl Anderson
12-29-2005, 06:10 AM
I eventually adopted this rule regarding my Jet Black BMW. The alternative was insanity. I recently sold this car and now have TiAg and I can now look very close and still be happy.

Black car now = insanity later.

imported_mirrorfinishman
12-29-2005, 06:15 AM
Dear Autopians, I would like to know whether most of you follow the "5ft Rule" when it comes to evaluating detailing result. Any of you observe the finish to the extent of using magnifying glass? Thanks.

What is the 5ft Rule?

Alfisti
12-29-2005, 06:24 AM
Evaluating your paint from 5ft away. If it looks good from that distance, you walk away.

I`m too OC to not look at it closely...5ft is not good enough, even knowing that no one will notice...I will!

Scottwax
12-29-2005, 06:33 AM
My car is about perfect at 2-3 feet, I try to get my customer`s cars as close to perfect as possible.

I have a black car that was not well taken care of cosmetic-wise before I bought it and the car is a daily driver. Too time consuming to keep it perfect.

imported_Neothin
12-29-2005, 09:16 AM
I like keeping my car as close to perfect as I can get it. Instead of using abrasives all the time to remove defects though, I use the glazing routine to hide everything. I can get my car 99% perfect glazing the hell out of it. It`s when glazes can`t hide stuff that I polish things out. but for distances? When i`m glazing I get right up on the paint in direct sunlight and if i can still find defects I continue to work the area.

Accumulator
12-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I inspect my S8 and even the minivan with magnification when I polish them. Which is hardly ever since I`m *VERY* careful how I wash `em and they don`t get touched between washes. Don`t think I`m gonna keep the minivan flawless, just too much work on a daily driver, but the S8 I *do* want virtually flawless (I plan to trade it over tiny flaws from the deer-incident repairs; my "good" car I want better than showroom). IMO even a beater oughta look virtually flawless from five feet away so that`s not a very tall order and generally wouldn`t be close to what I expect our cars to look like.

stilez
12-29-2005, 11:29 AM
My car is about perfect at 2-3 feet, I try to get my customer`s cars as close to perfect as possible.

I have a black car that was not well taken care of cosmetic-wise before I bought it and the car is a daily driver. Too time consuming to keep it perfect.

Bingo!

Some paint defects (deep scratches, water spots, swirls) require removing too much clearcoat/paint to be 100% perfect. On the newer vehicles I work to a higher stature, but on older ones, I let the customers know in advance where they should expect it to go. I have never had any complaints with this logic.

cuekaje
12-29-2005, 07:11 PM

Good point Scot, it is not in the polishing process that make me use the rule. It is in the maintenance routine that make it really a PITA to keep a daily driver in perfect condition, especially if it stay outdoor for most of the day.

4830Deuce
12-29-2005, 07:53 PM
I think the 5ft rule is kind of a little joke around here, some use it to rule weather a reg. customer needs another deep polish, but really i think we all try to get customers cars as perfect as possible. As for my car, its perfect when i detail it every spring, then i glaze it every two months or so, and by the end of summer it has a little marring in some places...I have learned to deal with it...getting your car perfect is impossible... :getdown

-Justin

Ed Fisher
12-31-2005, 12:52 PM
I use a maginifying glass to determine the extent of some scratches and paint chips.

Yup so do I... Especially on wife` s metallic jet black 2006 Hyundai Getz 1.4 16V...

I also use the "under the streetlight" method which an old man taught me. He was wiping his 64 Impala (he said it was his first car since the car was brand new from the dealer and they grew old together)

Here you park the car under a street light and inspect the car under the yellow light of the mercury lights after sundown... (I tried it and found the light to be ruthless in showing blemishes but it was of no use to me because there is no remedy at that very moment)

Also fluorescent light gives away a lot...

I always look at the car from different angles and try to see from all around.

Accumulator
12-31-2005, 01:45 PM
..I also use the "under the streetlight" method ..

I always look at the car from different angles and try to see from all around.

Try using a high-wattage incandescent trouble light in an otherwise dark garage, using your method of varying the viewing angle. I`ve found I can pretty much duplicate those unforgiving lights that way- no surprises when I inspect under the lights at the local gas station that always show everything. Put a 200-300W bulb in the trouble light and you won`t miss much; I see a *lot* that I can`t find under halogens, let alone fluorscents.

I know I`m always talking up the high-wattage incandescents :o but it`s like discovering a whole new way of inspecting paint. I always used to get those unpleasant surprises after I had a lot of LSP layered on. It`s a drag to find out you quit polishing too soon...