PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Proposed Process

E55
12-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Some quick background:

1) I purchased a brand spanking new E55 :spot in mid August of this year (photo below, I hope). Dealer had not installed any swirls or scratches, so paint was in excellent condition.

2) I am new to detailing, as I have not previously owned a car that I cared about enough to keep really clean.

3) In September, I did a "full" exterior detail, as follows:

- wash

- clay

- Megs #1 (paint cleaner)

- Megs #2 (polish)

- Nxt Tech Wax x 2

Since then I have washed weekly & boostered with spray wax & sometimes topped with various carnauba waxes (so far my favorite is Signature Series).

I must say I have been very happy with this so far. But, I can`t resist the urge to tinker & see if I can improve things. So, as soon as I get a warm day to spare I can going to redo the entire process. I am alittle confused, however, after polishes/glazes/cleaners, so I could use some advice on the following proposed steps (all done by hand for now):

1) Wash

2) Clay

--- Here`s where I`m confused :think: ---

3) Paint Cleaner

4) FPII

5) AIO

--- end confusion ---

6) EX x 2

7) Booster & top as needed

I have some very, very faint swirls that I`d like to try to remove, which is why I`m thinking of using FPII (see this thread (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65613)).

What I`m unclear on is

- Do I need a paint cleaner before using FPII?

- Do I have the order right with AIO after FPII?

- Who played Lumpy on "Leave it to Beaver"? :chuckle:

Any comments/advice appreciated.

--

Hook

imported_Neothin
12-28-2005, 08:27 AM
A few things-

1. Is your paint the new ceramiclear paint or is it conventional? I think someone said you can look in the doorjam at the paint code and if it ends with a C it`s ceramic. If it is ceramic GOOD LUCK correcting anything with FPII. Your going to have to go buy Menzerna`s PO106FF, a polish formulated specifically for ceramiclear finishes.

2. You can eliminated step 3 in your process. A paint cleaner before you polish is unnecessary. The abrasive polish will clean the paint. I would use AIO after you polish though. Even after buffing the polish off, oils from the polish may still be present and AIO will remove these and leave a great base for your LSP`s. and just so you know, AIO is a paint cleaner.

Other than that, nice car :D good luck

imported_flatstick
12-28-2005, 09:13 AM
[quote name=`Neothin`]A few things-

1. Is your paint the new ceramiclear paint or is it conventional? I think someone said you can look in the doorjam at the paint code and if it ends with a C it`s ceramic. If it is ceramic GOOD LUCK correcting anything with FPII. Your going to have to go buy Menzerna`s PO106FF, a polish formulated specifically for ceramiclear finishes.

2. You can eliminated step 3 in your process. A paint cleaner before you polish is unnecessary. The abrasive polish will clean the paint. I would use AIO after you polish though. Even after buffing the polish off, oils from the polish may still be present and AIO will remove these and leave a great base for your LSP`s. and just so you know, AIO is a paint cleaner.

I would agree that you may need the 106FF but in * my * experience with 106FF you do not need to use AIO after the 106FF. you should go right to your LSP. this polish will produce a very clean finish that will make your clear look 1/2 inch thick. it looks so good that I hate to use an LSP after the polishing stage. just my two cents. I am sure others will chime in with their view.