PDA

View Full Version : Polishing exhaust tips w/a Dremel

lakid042
12-28-2005, 07:22 AM
I got a Cordless Dremel & the Polishing Kit for Christmas and want to polish my exhaust tips as they are looking pretty horrible. However, the directions for this specific project aren`t very good and more specific to cleaning jewelry & the like.

Anyone have good tips on how to do this right? Right now (after about 20 minutes of work) I have brighter, shinier exhaust tips but there are a lot of "burnishing" marks all over the metal that I can`t seem to make go away :wall . Did I use too much pressure?

TIA,

Derek

imported_Neothin
12-28-2005, 08:19 AM
try a metal polish on them to remove those scratches.

pt91
12-28-2005, 08:51 AM
What type of metal are the tips?

What polish are you using?

Glossequation
12-28-2005, 09:25 AM
I have aluminum rims (not clearcoated) and I am wondering how to get the surface stains off as well. I was thinking of using my DeWalt with an aggressive attachment and some compound, then finishing with a straight polish and soft cloth. What about a wet sand with 1000 grit?

It is my thought that the Blue Magic and NXT metal polishes ARE NOT aggressive enough for my wheels and lakid`s exhaust tips

s2skimon
12-28-2005, 09:26 AM
becareful as the dremel may be overly aggressive. i do all my exhaust tips by hand with polish

3Dog
12-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Burnishing marks...key word being BURN. Dremel if not cut back to minimum is running very fast.....would you touch your paint with it? Agood example would be if you have a rotary or RO..place a used foam pad on it and try it on a 2x4..you will see no difference in the wood.....now do it with the Dremel......my point is be very careful with the tool!!

You might try a cordless drill with a felt wheel and some light polish to repair the damage.