PDA

View Full Version : A red Elise, what to use

Pages : [1] 2

Corey Bit Spank
12-27-2005, 10:29 PM
So as a favor for a friend I`m going to detail his new Elise. He trailered it from Chicago to Buffalo, but he said (and it didn`t look like) it got that dirty. Anyway....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ctnewman2/lotus_WC.jpg

I had originally thought the paint looked pretty good. It appears that this paint may not be clear coated. It looks slightly oxidized and he said there is some swirling.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ctnewman2/lotus_in1.jpg

I have an assortment of polishes and waxes, but I`m having an Autopian fix and I would really like to order some new things. I`ve been thinking about Optimum polish and Jeffs Werkstat, but I don`t know how those do on non-cleared and red paint. I`m a little out of the loop. I miss detailing, this may be the year for me to start something. :)

For reference, what I have done with red in the past:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/jeepsrule1/Sam08.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/jeepsrule1/100_0264.jpg

The Eclipse has DACP, wolfgang pre polish (I think...long time ago), NXT, and #16

The 3000GT was DACP, woflgang pre polish, VM, and #16.

I not very confident if you couldn`t tell.

chevyguy28
12-27-2005, 11:58 PM
The Elise`s paint is indeed clearcoated AFAIK. Try 4" pads for your polishing step, it helps with all the curves. Good luck.

Corey Bit Spank
12-28-2005, 04:51 AM
Well actually I`ll be using my cylco, so some of it I will definitely have to do by hand.

s2skimon
12-28-2005, 09:14 AM
i like the optimum , with Prime and AJ

just be sure to apply the AJ thin, and wipe off immediately

for brand new reds, i really like Clearkotes` VM, RMG, then EX-P topped with Natty`s Blue.. wooaa!!

s2skimon
12-28-2005, 09:22 AM
if you like, I`d be happy to drive down and help you :D

Corey Bit Spank
12-28-2005, 04:36 PM
haha! That`d be fun, but I think I can handle it. I`m just looking for advice on reds. :) Maybe we can get a nifty detail meet going this summer.

imported_NHBFAN
12-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Sweet ride!!!!!!!!!!!

If that bad boy were mine I`d give it a good dawn washing and slap a few coats of NuFinish on it.

j/k

Corey Bit Spank
12-28-2005, 06:28 PM
NHB you don`t have to--NuFinish has a wash!

White95Max
12-28-2005, 08:37 PM
So he went to celebrate the arrival of his new Lotus by going to White Castle?

Scottwax
12-28-2005, 08:50 PM
The Werkstatt twins look very good on red.

Mad iX
12-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Clear-coated or not, OCP will work fine.

VM and Natty`s Blue should look deep and insanely wet.

Corey Bit Spank
12-29-2005, 12:41 PM
The Werkstatt twins look very good on red.

Do they look bad on anything? :D Are they at all like Wolgang? I was/am disappointed by Wolfgang. I almost want to purchase Blackfire again.

imported_Reflections
12-29-2005, 02:11 PM
So he went to celebrate the arrival of his new Lotus by going to White Castle?

ROFL!!!!! I was wondering the same thing!!!

Corey Bit Spank
12-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Oh he`s vegan so I think it was his brother that wanted to go there. Yuck.

Anyway....maybe it`s time to try Zaino?

imported_animes2k
12-29-2005, 08:30 PM
I think it`s time to apply your right foot, and heavily! :D

Aren`t the front ends of those clear bra`d from the factory?

Maybe it`s just that the local dealer installs that on every Elise to get extra markup...

I would personally take it easy on the polish until you have an idea how the paint`s going to react... Work your way up from a gentle combination to a more aggressive one.

As far as sealing/waxing? Well, red certainly does react well to the whole VM/RMG combo... topped with a slick carnauba like Natty Blue or Souveran would be very nice, assuming it`s not going to be seeing any winter road use... If it`s definitely going to be a nice sunny-day only car, that sounds good.

Otherwise I`d definitely start with some synthetic - but not over RMG...

like a couple coats of Zaino or a treatment of AIO + a couple of coats of SG, followed by a nice carnauba (as mentioned before) would also look good.

That`s my 2c.