PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mom - I finally tried Mothers Synwax

schoi
12-27-2005, 06:47 PM
And let me tell you, it`s some ... interesting stuff.

Mom, call Mothers (!) and complain about the packaging, PLEASE! It`s absolutely horrid. It`s nice to look at and maybe dance with, but obviously, form > function here. The cap/flip-top, as some of my friends at Autopia said, is terrible. It`s awkward to dispense the product on a brillo pad (or a foamie even), and it tends to make a mess of the cap and retain a bit of product underneath. But hey, at least it smells really nice - not like your yummy baking, but nice nonetheless, and its thin, milk-like consistency and color is nice.

After slopping some of it on the pad, I decided to just try the roof and sideviews of the `Vette, you know, just to "try it" in spite of the fact that I used some other stuff called "Insulator Wax" (made by a company called Collinite that obviously wants squirrels on power lines to have a nicely-finished surface on which to run) about a week ago; the first thing I noticed was that it really doesn`t seem to spread as well as I thought it would, but maybe that`s just me. It`s not hard by any means, but it`s not nearly as spreadable as that other Collinite stuff was.

So, after applying it to the roof and mirror housings, I waited maybe a minute or so since I wasn`t used to the product; after finger testing it, it was a wee bit smeary, but came off mostly clean pretty quickly. I grabbed my trusty microfiber towel, and my God does that buff off easily, even the stubborn spots where I applied the stuff like cake frosting. It`s even easier than some other stuff called P21S that I use!

Another company, Meguiars, manufacturers a similar market product called "NXT", something having to do with being in my ex-girlfriend`s tea or something. I tried that a long time ago, too, and it doesn`t seem to be quite as good or "complete" as Synwax is. Application is similar, but buffing isn`t quite as easy as Mommy`s stuff.

I didn`t have the best lighting - it was already dark out after I finished washing (with the NXT wash), so I was working with just garage lighting consisting of a couple of overhead panels. Daytime and complete evaluation will have to wait until tomorrow, but unless my eyes are deceiving me, Synwax definitely seems to have a more vibrant look than Collinite! Reflections are more clear and everything just seems to be a bit more sharp and crisp, true to the sealant stereotype. The gloss is definitely awesome; I can`t wait to see it tomorrow afternoon in the sunlight. Obviously, its effects on water and whether it lasts as long as my appetite when eating those chocolate chip cookies will have to be determined later.

(That`s not to say that Collinite is bad, but ... wow.)

Uhh, so yeah, this stuff definitely seems like a real winner so far. More to come when it`s light out :)

Love,

veri

Alfisti
12-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I look forward to your daytime impressions. :)

BTW, its best to allow atleast 5 min before removal to ensure proper adhesion. Don`t remove it while it`s stil smeary.

And yes, the shampoo-type flip lid is awful...the only bad thing about Synwax.

imported_Bence
12-27-2005, 07:42 PM
I`d suggest you to try the excellent FX SynWax/845/FX Spray Wax combo!!!

schoi
12-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I do have the FX spray, but now I don`t want to use anything more difficult than Synwax :P

Of course, I went over the entire car after doing that little bit, can`t wait to see it tomorrow.

imported_Bence
12-28-2005, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I do have the FX spray, but now I don`t want to use anything more difficult than Synwax :P

Of course, I went over the entire car after doing that little bit, can`t wait to see it tomorrow.

"I don`t want the physical discomfort of making love; it must be tiring. I could try at home but never did yet - although I have a suitable wife on the shelf."

Ahem...

If you apply the correct amount with the right technique, 845 is a very easy product as well. The FX spray is the easiest imaginable. Spritz, buff lightly. Just like QD-ing.

AlexRuiz
12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Funny review! :lol

Veri, you are absolutely right in all your points:

1) The flip top sucks bit time.... :mad

2) It doesn`t spread as easily as the 845, but I wonder if there is a product that spreads easier than 845.

3) Removal is so easy it is ridiculous. As you said, thick or thin, no matter.

4) Smell is great

5) Looks.... well, if you want shine this is it.

6) Durability is decent.

You will love it!

Alex

schoi
12-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Ahh, I did.

I`m also going to go move the car out of the garage to see how it looks, back in a few :)

[edit]

Not bad, not bad at all. In spite of a bit of a heavy-handed application, there was very little streaking or smearing to be seen - just in a spot or two where I did a lousy buffing job - and its overall look is actually a bit reminiscent of the results of a cross between Wolfgang`s sealant and NXT, at least to my eyes.

Like NXT, Synwax has this interesting effect of producing a look that`s not completely "sterile" and otherwise close to KSG or similar, but not like straight carnauba; I`m sure it`s not as deep as Reflections would be, but it`s definitely somewhere in the middle, with a bias more towards the lighter, typically sealant-like side. Of course, I think we all expected that.

Unless the car was in better shape than I thought, it does seem that Synwax is at least somewhat capable of hiding minor defects, again on par with NXT. I don`t know if that`s just me or how long that`ll last - we`ll see after a wash or two.

So, all in all, I believe I`m just confirming popular opinion up to now - it`s ridiculously, stupidly easy to use, and the results are quite nice. Durability remains to be seen, I suppose, but I`ll definitely be using this one for awhile. :)

RCBuddha
12-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Veri, I concluded almost the same things that you have mentioned. I put mine on a few months back: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54571 I got about 8 weeks, but that`s with mild SoCal weather and infrequent washings. One thing that I`ve found though: depending on the cleaning power of your wash soap, FX durability may or may not be as long as I got.

Alfisti
12-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Did you end up trying the Reflections? Any feedback?

tweeker43
12-29-2005, 02:06 PM
i use a lightly damp applicator and it goes on much better.