PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Durability

Neo62381
12-27-2005, 11:35 AM
How many uses do you think an average wool wash mitt such as the ones from Wal-Mart, hold up to. I noticed today that there was some wool strands in the rinse bucket, and that it didnt feel as plush as it used to. I`m going to go buy a new one but I was curious as to what everyone else thinks, I`ve gotten maybe 15 uses out of mine.

jfelbab
12-27-2005, 11:38 AM
I always replace my mitts every quarter. I relegate the older ones for use on the wheels and wheel wells.

Spilchy
12-27-2005, 11:41 AM
I`ve had all mine going for a couple years used bunches of times. I rotate between a dozen or so, but with proper care, they should last and last.

I hang mine up after each wash without really cleaning them allowing air to get into the mitt to prevent mold. Once I have a few that I`ve used, they all go into the wash on cold water, light agitation and no soap. Then I hang them to dry.

I`ve yet to throw one out. If I feel they aren`t plush enough anymore, I use them for wheels and stuff. But that takes a long time and many washes.

Accumulator
12-27-2005, 12:54 PM
My mitts from the Autopia store are holding up great. No apparent wear after more than a year and I don`t take any special care of them. I do wash them in Woolite if I think they need it but I just let them air-dry.

Richt
12-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Not got a clue on how many washes.

But my Autopia supplied ones are as good as new 10 months on.

Same can not be said for my Eurow one which is dying after 3 or 4 uses.

brownkc
12-27-2005, 02:18 PM
I lose the occasional tuft of wool around the front license plate and they sure ain`t that purty anymore but they have lasted about a year (one car - 40 washes?).

When I finish using them, they go directly into the washer on cold/delicate for a single rinse cycle. They come out clean and soap free. I put my hand in and shake it about to open the fibers and inside and then hang them out in the garage. They are dry in no time.

imported_Neothin
12-27-2005, 03:34 PM
I`ve had my wal-mart eurow mitts since july and they`re still just as plush/soft as they were 5 months ago. After I use them I make a new rinse bucket and throughly rinse the mitts out. After this they go straight on the wash line to dry.