Thread: Gallon Jugs

Post Thanks / Like

Gallon Jugs

Anyone figured out how to cut these open without chopping a finger off (or contaminating the contents)? Dang 1/8 of a gallon of product is always stuck to the sides.
    Whoever came up with the idea of using such a heavy plastic is a genius and has got to be secretly laughing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gallon Jugs

What product are you referring to in a gallon jug? Apparently a polish or compound???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    What product are you referring to in a gallon jug? Apparently a polish or compound???
    It`s definitely Peanut Butter.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Two things I’ve done:
    Soak the gallon jug in very hot water, boiling if you dare, to thin the product so that it will pour out. This process may or may not alter the chemistry of the product, but worked for me with tire gel.

Spin the jug in a centrifuge. I’m betting you don’t have one, so, attach a light rope (or thick string) to the bottle with duct tape so that the string hangs from the bottom. Make sure neighbors aren’t looking, then go outside and spin it in the air. It’s the silliest you’ll ever feel to reclaim $4 of product.
    Likes JRW67, bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

3D One & Speed to be specific
    Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    It`s definitely Peanut Butter.
    Might as well be
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    Two things I’ve done:
    Soak the gallon jug in very hot water, boiling if you dare, to thin the product so that it will pour out. This process may or may not alter the chemistry of the product, but worked for me with tire gel.

Spin the jug in a centrifuge. I’m betting you don’t have one, so, attach a light rope (or thick string) to the bottle with duct tape so that the string hangs from the bottom. Make sure neighbors aren’t looking, then go outside and spin it in the air. It’s the silliest you’ll ever feel to reclaim $4 of product.
    I`ve tried hot water before but can never get the jug to stay under water.

Your second idea sounds like it just might work! Thank you for that suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if screwing a hole in the jug, then running a kite string thru it with a washer holding the bottom of the jug would give you a better whirl??

Post Thanks / Like

I just keep them upside down for a day or 2 and call it at that. I have cut them with a sharp utility knife and used a rubber spatula in the past tho...
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn`t standing them upside-down for a while take care of it? I`m wondering why I`ve never found this to be an issue, though I`m sure *NOT* saying it isn`t!

Post Thanks / Like

Screwing holes, cutting the bottle, etc, is way too dangerous. Imagine, here you are, all smiles, polishing with your "reclaimed" product, when suddenly a huge pigtail appears, courtesy of a stray piece of plastic. Even micro-plastics deposited into the product will cause havoc.

Speaking of the "hot water method": the way I did this was with a big Le Creuset (ask your wife) pot. I boiled water, then put a rack down into the pot, then held my bottle of Forever Black down in the water using an oven mitt. Waited a while, then poured out probably 8 ounces of product that I was about to throw in the trash.

The spinning method is more fun and easier. I have used this on my quart-size polish, which was like $45 a quart so I wanted those last few ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Doesn`t standing them upside-down for a while take care of it? I`m wondering why I`ve never found this to be an issue, though I`m sure *NOT* saying it isn`t!
    No Accum. I know this because I sawed a bottle open once and was surprised at all of the product sticking to the sides and trapped around the "corners" of the top. The product was useless though, and hence my new methods to reclaim product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    ..No Accum...[you`re wrong].. I know this because I sawed a bottle open once and..[looked inside]...
    Ah, OK..learn something new here every day

Gee, this has me wondering when the last time was that I used up a plastic bottle of something thick like a polish...IIRC I usually ran hot water over `em, but it`s been forever...next time I`m gonna spin it

Anyhow...I sure agree about *not* cutting/etc. the plastic and expecting nothing nasty to end up in the product! That could end up being one of those penny wise/pound foolish ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point about the debris from cutting open. Hence why I stopped doing that.

Holding the product upside down and tapping it on a solid surface will also help get some of the product out or at least closer to the opening in the bottle.

If only we had a spare centrifuge lying around huh!?!? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

If only we had a spare centrifuge lying around huh!?!? Lol
    Heh heh, yeah...hey, stick the right brand-name label on it and it could be the latest must-have Detailing accessory!

Post Thanks / Like

Flip it upside down top on and bang the $h!t out of it. You’ll get most of it. So it at sifferent angles to get it out of the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information