Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed and Poxy First Timer

I used Speed and Poxy for the first time today.

I have a TorRed 2016 Charger. Paint is in good shape,no major and few minor issues,(swirlies).

I have a Cyclo that is about 20 years old. Still works like a champ.

I used the green pads for Speed. I used the white pads for Poxy.

Super easy on/off. Temp of 83 and humidity of 50%.

I noticed a few light swirlies that weren’t worth trying to remove. Next time,maybe. The paint is harder than I thought.

I’ll definitely use them until they’re gone.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed and Poxy First Timer

Speed is probably my favorite polishing product to use. I would like to try Poxy.

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post a couple of pics Older so we can all admire your results! Speed and Poxy First Timer
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy

Post Thanks / Like

that`s a good combination. hd speed can rescue some pretty beat up finishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Speed is amazing

I tried that combo once. Lasted 2 months at best. Hopefully you see better results!
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had it out in bright sunlight today. Found more swirlies than I saw originally. That paint seems to hide them well. It still looks great from 5 feet away.

Next time,I`ll use a more aggressive pad.

I`ll throw another coat of Poxy on it and hope it lasts the summer.

No pics for this somewhat mediocre job.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m late to this party, but ran across the part that mentioned a "20 yo Cyclo"....

Older- Welcome to Autopia! That`s a great polisher you have there, and it shouldn`t even be close to broken in yet.

Yeah, sigh...paints generally seem harder to correct that people expect. And paints that hide flaws in daily life are also a pain to inspect when you`re trying to do that correction. Sounds like you might need an Inspection Lighting upgrade

If you go with a more aggressive pad, I`d *NOT* use the yellow foam cutting pads. If the orange ones aren`t aggressive enough I`d use MF (those colors are for the Cyclo brand pads). The green pads are very versatile (for decades they were the only foam pads made for Cyclos).

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thinking on how Older might up the cut...how much correction *can* Speed do anyway? Does it cut a lot more than, say...HD Polish? Much as I *really* like the latter, I`d never expect it do to actual correction; to me it`s merely a (genuine) Finishing Polish to use when any significant marring has already been corrected.

Post Thanks / Like

Along with speed and poxy,
    I really like like HD polish and cut also. They are user friendly and effective.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Speed can do a lot of work, dependent how aggressive the pad is. I don`t typically go for perfect paint, if at 5 ft in bright sun it looks good, I`m usually content. My mindset is keep the car and paint forever vs. perfection and risk repaint down the road. My daily is at 9 years and going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m late to this party, but ran across the part that mentioned a "20 yo Cyclo"....

Older- Welcome to Autopia! That`s a great polisher you have there, and it shouldn`t even be close to broken in yet.

Yeah, sigh...paints generally seem harder to correct that people expect. And paints that hide flaws in daily life are also a pain to inspect when you`re trying to do that correction. Sounds like you might need an Inspection Lighting upgrade

If you go with a more aggressive pad, I`d *NOT* use the yellow foam cutting pads. If the orange ones aren`t aggressive enough I`d use MF (those colors are for the Cyclo brand pads). The green pads are very versatile (for decades they were the only foam pads made for Cyclos).
    I really like that Cyclo,it has little vibration,(the weight helps with that,I`m sure),and it`s a great carpet cleaner with the brushes. It is a bit heavy on vertical panels. But since we don`t own Suburbans or F-350s,the weight is no big deal.

I have all those old quick-disconnect pads that snap on/off via a center post. I don`t even remember who made them. They work great and you can flip them over so you have twice the pad surface. They have the same color/cut specs as the stock Cyclo pads.

I`ve never used the yellow pads,never needed to.

I used to use the orange pads every spring on my wife`s first Infiniti. It came out great with little effort and little pressure. It had that "self-healing" paint. Yeah,sure. What a bunch of BS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    I think Speed can do a lot of work, dependent how aggressive the pad is. I don`t typically go for perfect paint, if at 5 ft in bright sun it looks good, I`m usually content. My mindset is keep the car and paint forever vs. perfection and risk repaint down the road. My daily is at 9 years and going strong.
    I agree with "My mindset is keep the car and paint forever vs. perfection".

And the older I get,the lazier I get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    that too . If a customer wants perfect, they will get it. In reality for a daily driver around me, it does not make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    "My mindset is keep the car and paint forever vs. perfection".
    IME it`s not impossible to come awfully close to meeting both criteria, but only if you get the vehicle in undamaged condition and can maintain control over what happens to it. That last one is crucial and for practical purposes maybe insurmountable in most cases.

I do think it`s odd that so many dedicated Detailing enthusiasts, including Autopians, have to do correction so often, or have to choose between that and having marred paint all the time, but I kinda think that "available resources" might be the deciding factor.

In my case it`s just that hearing "Time`s winged chariot..." makes me more careful about prioritizing. Easy to spend a gazillion hours fussin` over a car when you presumably have many decades left. But when you can realistically count the years until you`re dead, not so much, at least in my case.

Even if I were still young and immortal....our older dog won`t be here in five years; what to do with the Tahoe today? Should I take the dogs for an outing or give it some detailing? Easy call for me, who cares if my SUV isn`t concours for its trip to [the unclean areas where I park it when I take the dogs out]?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Hey, thinking on how Older might up the cut...how much correction *can* Speed do anyway? Does it cut a lot more than, say...HD Polish? Much as I *really* like the latter, I`d never expect it do to actual correction; to me it`s merely a (genuine) Finishing Polish to use when any significant marring has already been corrected.
    It does have some cut to it. I have a thread on it when used with a rental vehicle. If I recall, the white pad wasn`t getting the results I wanted, but the orange pad did.

When I was first getting into this, I attended a 3D Car Care seminar and had a chance to play with some of their products (It`s when I picked up a bottle of Speed). I was getting along with one of the 3D guys, and asked him about Speed. He said it`s like having a small amount of Cut, a big amount of Polish, and a small amount of Poxy, all mixed in the bottle.

Come to think of it, I don`t think I`ve ever used Polish on it`s own; only as a follow up step to compounding. Hmm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information