Post Thanks / Like

What is the difference in 3D and HD?

I was just curious what determines what products are branded under 3D vs. HD?

For example, there is HD Dress and then there is 3D Ultra Protectant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the difference in 3D and HD?

At one time the HD line was the retail/enthusiast line, while 3D was the pro/bulk/dealer line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phareous View Post
    I was just curious what determines what products are branded under 3D vs. HD?

For example, there is HD Dress and then there is 3D Ultra Protectant
    HD products are targeted more directly to detailers.

Very similar to how Meguiar`s has the mirror glaze line and the detailer line.

Post Thanks / Like

I simply hate this! I see zero reason to differentiate into two different product lines. Eh, guess it`s because I haven`t bothered to memorize which stuff is in which Dept.

I feel exactly the same way about the various Meguiar`s lineups. Silly silly silly, what?!?..."I want some *consumer* level carwash, not some shampoo made for a Pro"...yeah, right [/sarcasm]

There`s an implication that some of their stuff is better than others, maybe justified by price differences, but I guess I don`t think that way.

When I was a kid, my mother and her sister swore by Mirror Glaze stuff...if it`s right for a Pro it`s right for a woman who wants a well-detailed car. That`s how I learned about M07/M16/etc., their take was that only dummies bought consumer-level stuff for much of anything (house/car/whatever) when better products were available (they`d say "professionals know what stuff is good for the money"), and these were *NOT* Autopian-type people. This was back when Mirror Glaze stuff was only sold in Paint stores and Autobody Supply places too. Guess which 3D/HD line those ladies would look into...
    Likes ernman, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can it like the difference in their polishes that 3D is bodyshop safe and not HD? It`s the use of silicone that is different between them and maybe more stuff that can interfear in a bodyshop. But think it`s more with the other products in their lines.

Skickat från min SM-T585 via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

One way to tell is to look at a manufacturer`s Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Sometimes the two products lines (IE; Collinite 845 Insulator Wax for cars and 925 Fiberglass Wax for boats) are listed on the same sheet. One catch is "proprietary material or chemicals", which means just that: they are chemicals so as not to give away that manufacturer`s secret formulas or blends that are unique to its product characteristics and performance and lend itself to a market edge over its competition OR not having to divulge it is exact patented materials and process.

Another key phrase is "patent pending". This is a legal term that a patent MAY be in the works (it has NOT been legally filed and a patent search done, though) or it has actually been filed AND the patent search has been done, but not approved by US Patent Office. That term "Patent Pending" has been a misnomer to me for marketing. Kind of like "Lifetime Guarantee or Warranty"; the "lifetime` is only as long as the company stays in business AND it has sufficient funds to cover warranty claims. There is no law that requires a company to set aside an escrow account to cover such claims in the event of a product failure.
    GB detailer

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I simply hate this! I see zero reason to differentiate into two different product lines. Eh, guess it`s because I haven`t bothered to memorize which stuff is in which Dept.

I feel exactly the same way about the various Meguiar`s lineups. Silly silly silly, what?!?..."I want some *consumer* level carwash, not some shampoo made for a Pro"...yeah, right [/sarcasm]

There`s an implication that some of their stuff is better than others, maybe justified by price differences, but I guess I don`t think that way.

When I was a kid, my mother and her sister swore by Mirror Glaze stuff...if it`s right for a Pro it`s right for a woman who wants a well-detailed car. That`s how I learned about M07/M16/etc., their take was that only dummies bought consumer-level stuff for much of anything (house/car/whatever) when better products were available (they`d say "professionals know what stuff is good for the money"), and these were *NOT* Autopian-type people. This was back when Mirror Glaze stuff was only sold in Paint stores and Autobody Supply places too. Guess which 3D/HD line those ladies would look into...
    I think there is some justification for having both a consumer and a pro line. Such as a consumer product trading away a little bit of effectiveness for ease of use. A good example of that would be Opti-coat vs. Gloss-coat,
    the former is more durable and more difficult to apply and the latter is less durable but easier to apply. Also simply for marketing purposes. You need a consumer version in a fancy bottle to compete for retail shelf space.
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.

Post Thanks / Like

Nutbread- Eh, this might just be another topic where I`m, uhm...an opinion of one, but I just don`t see the need for the differentiation into Pro/Consumer; rather I`d just have one line with different products having different attributes. Heh heh, when I`m running the planet we can do it that way, and until then I`ll just have my opinion... which won`t get any traction

Thread Information