Post Thanks / Like

New car... polish or not?

I have a new Mercedes on order that will be finished in obsidian black. Will I benefit using aat 502 finishing polish after taking delivery or better just using a high quality wax from the start? Can a da polisher be used with this product? All recommendations considered and appreciated... thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car... polish or not?

tell the dealer not to touch it
    leave the protective film on it

take it to a good detailer
    let him do it
    a little touch up polishing may be required
    imo a coating is the way to go

I have an AMG c63s in basic black
    hard to take care of
    but looks great
    yours being metallic will be a little easier
    ////AMG

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whytlotus View Post
    I have a new Mercedes on order that will be finished in obsidian black. Will I benefit using aat 502 finishing polish after taking delivery or better just using a high quality wax from the start? Can a da polisher be used with this product? All recommendations considered and appreciated... thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the Forum, whytlotus !

Congrats on such a beautiful car - what model ?

To answer your question, tell us what your experience level is with that 3D AAT502 Finishing Polish and the Random Orbital model you are going to use..
    Do you have lots of pads? What brand, color, and size ?

In my experiences with lots of Black Mercedes vehicles, their paint is pretty darn hard ..

I use only Rotary Power with correct compounds and polishes actually made by Menzerna and other German manufacturers, for Mercedes paint and never have an issue..
    There are probably a lot of other products that work well and some of the guys here will chime in on them..

I have never used 3D AAT 502 finishing polish, so cannot comment on that, but will do research and see what I can find out about it..

Hopefully, the people who sold you the Mercedes have people who know how to deliver it to you in Flawless Condition, so all you have to do then is think about what to put on it to help keep it protected..

It is black and coming from decades of many personal black vehicles, and Detailed hundreds more, the most important thing you can do to it is to not touch it as much as possible, and then when you have to , it needs to be a really good car wash soap that is very slippery and maybe leaves a little protection on there..

Drying it is where a lot of defects can also be put into the paint that will show up, so I only use a Metro Master Blaster to get as much water as possible off the car with the air, and then use a good QD like Optimum Opti-Seal sprayed on a very soft, clean microfiber to gently get whatever little tiny droplets are left..
    Opti-Seal at Store here --- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/opti...l#.WpoKFmpzb3g

Good luck with the Delivery of your new car !!!
    Hope it all goes well !
    Dan F
    Likes dschribs, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Welcome to the Forum, whytlotus !

Congrats on such a beautiful car - what model ?

To answer your question, tell us what your experience level is with that 3D AAT502 Finishing Polish and the Random Orbital model you are going to use..
    Do you have lots of pads? What brand, color, and size ?

In my experiences with lots of Black Mercedes vehicles, their paint is pretty darn hard ..

I use only Rotary Power with correct compounds and polishes actually made by Menzerna and other German manufacturers, for Mercedes paint and never have an issue..
    There are probably a lot of other products that work well and some of the guys here will chime in on them..

I have never used 3D AAT 502 finishing polish, so cannot comment on that, but will do research and see what I can find out about it..

Hopefully, the people who sold you the Mercedes have people who know how to deliver it to you in Flawless Condition, so all you have to do then is think about what to put on it to help keep it protected..

It is black and coming from decades of many personal black vehicles, and Detailed hundreds more, the most important thing you can do to it is to not touch it as much as possible, and then when you have to , it needs to be a really good car wash soap that is very slippery and maybe leaves a little protection on there..

Drying it is where a lot of defects can also be put into the paint that will show up, so I only use a Metro Master Blaster to get as much water as possible off the car with the air, and then use a good QD like Optimum Opti-Seal sprayed on a very soft, clean microfiber to gently get whatever little tiny droplets are left..
    Opti-Seal at Store here --- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/opti...l#.WpoKFmpzb3g

Good luck with the Delivery of your new car !!!
    Hope it all goes well !
    Dan F
    It`s an AMG C63S coupe. Goes into production next week. No experience with 3D ATT Finishing polish and I use a Porter Cable 7424 polisher. Used it on a car I had to get rid of scratches. Very pleased with the results. I haven`t discussed with them about their pre-delivery prep, but plan to do so very soon. I doubt I would meet my approve.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artm3 View Post
    tell the dealer not to touch it
    leave the protective film on it

take it to a good detailer
    let him do it
    a little touch up polishing may be required
    imo a coating is the way to go

I have an AMG c63s in basic black
    hard to take care of
    but looks great
    yours being metallic will be a little easier
    That`s what I ordered... a C63S coupe. I was also considering a coating/ sealant, but whatever I do, I plan on doing it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

The basic answer to your question is YES, you should polish it if it needs to be polished. If the level of defects doesn`t cross your personal threshold of what you consider ok, then don`t polish. Save the clear coat.

Most new cars sit in dealer inventory for a while, outside, with the birds and the rain and the lot boy with his red shop rag wiping off the morning dew. Those cars always need a polish.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s an AMG C63S coupe. Goes into production next week. No experience with 3D ATT Finishing polish and I use a Porter Cable 7424 polisher. Used it on a car I had to get rid of scratches. Very pleased with the results. I haven`t discussed with them about their pre-delivery prep, but plan to do so very soon. I doubt I would meet my approve.
    Whytlotus ---
    Oh, that is a very beautiful Mercedes !! Love those AMG models -

I Detailed a Jet Black E63 AMG for a Doctor once, and it was so scratched up, he thought he was going to have to get a new one...
    When I was finished, it looked so great, he was so thrilled that he didn`t have to go buy another one, he gave me a great tip...

Sounds like you are confident in your ability with the machine and have already removed defects, so go do it !

I read up on 3D AAT502 and looked at a friends website who uses 3D all the time and he makes paint look outstanding with 3D, so I would have to say that the product appears to be a good one and you should have similar results..

Mercedes will still have harder paint than most others, so look out for that if it becomes an issue..

Pad rotation is the name of the game, whatever machine or product is used; I would run that Porter Cable all the way up to 6, if I had to use one..

Enjoy that beautiful C63S Coupe !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Whytlotus ---
    Oh, that is a very beautiful Mercedes !! Love those AMG models -

I Detailed a Jet Black E63 AMG for a Doctor once, and it was so scratched up, he thought he was going to have to get a new one...
    When I was finished, it looked so great, he was so thrilled that he didn`t have to go buy another one, he gave me a great tip...

Sounds like you are confident in your ability with the machine and have already removed defects, so go do it !

I read up on 3D AAT502 and looked at a friends website who uses 3D all the time and he makes paint look outstanding with 3D, so I would have to say that the product appears to be a good one and you should have similar results..

Mercedes will still have harder paint than most others, so look out for that if it becomes an issue..

Pad rotation is the name of the game, whatever machine or product is used; I would run that Porter Cable all the way up to 6, if I had to use one..

Enjoy that beautiful C63S Coupe !
    Dan F
    Thanks.. I`m also looking at another company that appears to supply Mercedes with products. Either way I know it will shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    The basic answer to your question is YES, you should polish it if it needs to be polished. If the level of defects doesn`t cross your personal threshold of what you consider ok, then don`t polish. Save the clear coat.
    This is my first thought too. It all depends on the caliber of the detailed at the dealer and your personal eye/threshold for defects. Most often it seems that even at high end dealers the detailers are focused on production work vs the level you see done by members here.

While your car is being made, I’d take that chance to go to the dealer and see other cars that are up front for delivery to the client (not just cars sitting on the lot getting pressure washed and wiped down). See what you think of the paint condition. You could also ask the staff what products they’re using - often it seems they’ll use a product focused on filling defects instead of providing long term protection. Your car will look great for a few washes, then the true state of the paint will be apparent. If you find out what they’re using, let us know! I’m sure someone here would be able to tell you what to expect.

The dream (well, my dream anyway) is to take delivery without having their detailers touch the car, then you do all aspects of correcting, protecting, and dressing to your liking. It all just depends on your time, skill/comfort level, and equipment/products you have on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

whytlotus- Welcome to Autopia! I`d sure put on your "most critical judge" hat when looking at examples of anybody`s work. Heh heh, I can probably count on my fingers the number of unmarred new vehicles I`ve seen over the last 40-some years. There`s a good reason why so many of us here will only accept new vehicles that are "still in the wrapper"..even letting a dealership remove the transit-wrap is fraught with risk.

Wonder if MB still uses ValuGard stuff like back during the DC days (thanks to Ketch, I got some ValuGard products with Diamler-Chrysler labeling gratis after they split up).

FWIW, I`ve never been all that impressed by whatever products a manufacturer "officially sanctions"...some have been OK (e.g., a few of the ValuGard products, and lots of German makers touted/hawked P21s stuff over the years), while some have been..well, not so great. Those choices are based on all sorts of factors that might not be relevant to DIY detailers. Other than the ValuGard ABC system and their Rust Inhibitor, and a few Wurth products, I doubt I use *anything* that the OEMs sanction.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

??
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPomp View Post

If you are serious about your new car, you need a premium glass coating. Xtreme9h is the highest certified endurance protection for your vehicle’s paint, glass, and wheels. One application of the Xtreme9h line is all you need to keep your car shining and protected for up to five years.

Not only will your vehicle be protected, but it will require much less washing and maintenance because the self-cleaning effect repels dirt, grime, and water. This means five years of freedom from the day-long task of washing and waxing your vehicle! After application, simply maintain with mild soap and water - do not wax your vehicle.

Xtreme9h is hydrophobic, meaning rain simply beads off the windshield and windows for better visibility and safer driving.

In addition to a deep, glossy, mirror finish, your vehicle will be protected from conditions such as:

- UV light

- Scratches

- Bugs and bird droppings

- Road tar

- Brake dust

So how does it work?
    Xtreme9h creates a chemical bond to your paint, filling any microscopic pores on the surface as it hardens.

For the body of the vehicle, the first element of this three-step process primes the paint and creates an adhesive for the gloss. Step two creates that beautiful shine and luster and protects the paint from elements. Step three locks in this protection, preventing damage and keeping your paint job looking pristine.

The wheel and window sealants work in the same way, but have been designed for each respective surface and don’t require the three-step process.

If you want to learn more, check out https://xtreme9h.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    ??
    He`s a spammer posting something similar in another thread.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Marine Clerk, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia! Prior to polishing make sure to decontaminate your paint with an iron-x type of product. Even brand new cars can be victims of industrial fallout. It’s a cheap insurance policy to make your paint as smooth as possible prior to claying and polishing. Enjoy the new ride!

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Black cars need a polish, then a coating.....so much easier to take care of.......
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Thread Information