Post Thanks / Like

HD Speed, and HD Adapt questions

I have a few detail jobs coming up and I want to make sure I`m getting the most out of my HD Adapt and Speed. Coming up I have a black 2015 Sierra Denali, red 2014 Silverado, black 2008 Silverado, and a silver 2010 Tacoma. Right now I for Speed I am using a GG6 on speed six with moderate to heavy pressure, 4-5 passes with slow arm speed. For a pad I am using LC 5.5 CCS orange pads. I have not had the chance to try the HD Adapt yet, but I have yellow, orange and white LC CCS pads in my arsenal. Is my technique for Speed correct? Is there room to improve. The vehicles I used Speed on look great, but I am still learning and want to make sure I am doing the very best that I can do. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed, and HD Adapt questions

I use speed with my 3401 and cyan HT pads, usually on a higher setting. Always gives me a great result, so your approach sounds right to me.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Detail Impressions Detail Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Craig, IMO I have destroyed many pads by running on speed 6. It generates large amount of heat, if I add to much product spells pad failure for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Impressions View Post
    Craig, IMO I have destroyed many pads by running on speed 6. It generates large amount of heat, if I add to much product spells pad failure for me.
    Ok thanks I will keep an eye on my pads. I was told by a local pro that when correcting paint to use max speed and strong pressure to achieve maximum results. I know that speed isn`t technically a correcting product but I am trying to remove imperfections.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically do at 4.5-5 on the Flex without issue. Not sure how that speed compares with the GG.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

I typically run my machine speed between 4-5 when using an AIO such as Speed. If you feel that you need to run it on speed 6 and use heavy pressure, you might be trying to ask for too much correction from the product/pad. You will find that when you step up to Adapt that you will see a major increase in the ability to remove defects. I absolutely love Adapt. It cuts really well and finishes down really well. Its a great one stepper for corrections on most paints.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m looking to make a pad order soon and want to make sure I choose the best ones. So for HD Speed is it the LC white, green, B&S blue, or B&S green? And for adapt are the LC Orange ok or should I order something less aggressive (maybe more LC white)?

Post Thanks / Like

LC orange should work great for a lot of different paints as a 1 step with Adapt. It would still be a good idea to have some of the white pads also in case you run across some softer paints. I have actually had real good success using the orange B&S Pad with Adapt on med to hard paints. It cuts great and finishes down really well. Paints vary so much it is just a good idea to have a wide selection of various pads to experiment with.

Detail Impressions Detail Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Craig, Adapt is pad dependent so if you use orange LC will cut harder, than a LC white.
    So just do a test spot.
    I suggest not running the DA wide open, you should be able to remove defects on speed 4 to 5 with the correct pad and adapt.
    Each paint maybe different, but what others are sharing is a baseline that works for them. So you may like to start with their suggestions.

I like microfiber for cutting and foam for finishing. But that is just me.....Sometimes there are paints that outside the box thinking works example Men. FG 400 and LC wool works great for me on most paints. Finishes out great but i finish with Men. 4500 and foam that just me.

I hope this helps, but no one has the crystal ball for what will work for you and the paint your polishing. Just try with a test spot and try a couple different pads/polishes to see what works for you.

Thread Information