Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Am I using HD Polish the right way?

I`m starting to learn how to use a DA and have been paint correcting my car for the past few weeks using HD Polish. I believe there has been quite a difference in some sections, lesser so in others. I`ve been using HD Polish with a DA orbital machine using medium cutting pads.

The way I prime the pad is to apply 5 small drops and then touch the small section of the paint I will work on. I then use fast movement to spread the polish. Then I proceed to do the section slowly, applying firm pressure. After that, I usually apply 3 drops and work another section or so. Then I move on to a different pad because the pad I`m using gets dusty. (The brush that I used seemed to damage the pads so I stopped using it). I`m not sure if this is the most effective way or not. I have seen improvements in the car but I feel I can do better.

My goal is to remove the vast majority of swirls out of the car. After a closer look, there are more swirls present than I thought so I`m thinking my technique needs work. I`m tempted with using a compound but I think I would like to stick with HD Polish and continue working at it.

I would appreciate any tips so I can look more closely at my technique and the way I`m using the product. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I using HD Polish the right way?

I would try a more aggressive polish (or pad) then step up to a compound if needed.

Some questions that might help you get more responses:
    - What DA are you using?
    - Which pad are you using (make model)?
    - What make and model car is it (different thicknesses and hardness for each manufacturer and in some cases per car or panel)?
    - Any Pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

You seem to be doing things correctly as far as the HD Polish is concerned ie not too much polish. What speed are you using on the DA? I typically use 5 or 6 on hard VW paint. When you say "medium cutting pad" are you referring to orange? I have great results with a B&S orange on the hard VW paint, but the marring is light wash marring. HD Polish is pad dependent so you can always step up to a more aggressive pad if you have to. Also, be patient--perhaps a couple more passes will do the trick. If you`re trying to do the correction with fewer passes perhaps you need HD Adapt-a mild compound.

As far as cleaning the pad--I use a denture brush from the Dollar store--it`s quite stiff and causes no damage to my B&S pads as well as a towel after every section. You shouldn`t have to be replacing the pad after every section.

There a couple of great links here-- trouble shooting and cleaning your pad on the fly.

Car detailing articles by Mike Phillips - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Work a small 18" X 18" area with slow arm speed ( 1" per second).

Post Thanks / Like

Doing serious correction on most paints just takes a more aggressive approach, and a lot more time, than people usually expect.

Even with very aggressive products and (brand-new) aggressive pads, it can *still* take longer than one might expect.
    Likes mshu7 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
    ... You shouldn`t have to be replacing the pad after every section...
    I don`t disagree, but I`d rather somebody swap pads frequently than either 1) use a loaded-up/clogged/glazed-over one, or 2) work too hard at on-the-fly-cleaning. I`ve sometimes used a *LOT* of pads on a correction, simply because it was quick and easy (if pricey).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl View Post
    I would try a more aggressive polish (or pad) then step up to a compound if needed.

Some questions that might help you get more responses:
    - What DA are you using?
    - Which pad are you using (make model)?
    - What make and model car is it (different thicknesses and hardness for each manufacturer and in some cases per car or panel)?
    - Any Pictures?
    4u2n,

-It`s a Griot`s Garage orbital
    -I have various Buff N Shine pads. I mostly use the orange pads
    -It`s a 2008 Mazda 3

I will post a picture soon. What aggressive polish do you use? I appreciate it.

You seem to be doing things correctly as far as the HD Polish is concerned ie not too much polish. What speed are you using on the DA? I typically use 5 or 6 on hard VW paint. When you say "medium cutting pad" are you referring to orange? I have great results with a B&S orange on the hard VW paint, but the marring is light wash marring. HD Polish is pad dependent so you can always step up to a more aggressive pad if you have to. Also, be patient--perhaps a couple more passes will do the trick. If you`re trying to do the correction with fewer passes perhaps you need HD Adapt-a mild compound.

As far as cleaning the pad--I use a denture brush from the Dollar store--it`s quite stiff and causes no damage to my B&S pads as well as a towel after every section. You shouldn`t have to be replacing the pad after every section.

There a couple of great links here-- trouble shooting and cleaning your pad on the fly.

Car detailing articles by Mike Phillips - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
    pwaug, I`m using the B&S orange pad. I think I will try again and see how it goes. If the swirls are still there, I might step it up to a more aggressive polish/compound though I prefer not to. I have the Ultimate Compound so I`m wondering if that`s the way to go if my next session doesn`t do it or another polish?

For the denture brush, do you simply hold it against the middle/outer part of the pad while the DA is spinning? I tried that with a pad cleaning brush and it did some damage to the pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Work a small 18" X 18" area with slow arm speed ( 1" per second).
    I try to stay within a limited area. I will try to slow it down too but if I slow it down too much then dusting happens because of the longer working time. I think I may need to get more pads or learn how to clean them properly. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Doing serious correction on most paints just takes a more aggressive approach, and a lot more time, than people usually expect.

Even with very aggressive products and (brand-new) aggressive pads, it can *still* take longer than one might expect.
    I heard someone say that it took him 6 months to fully paint correct his car and that one should not expect to do it in a weekend. Haha, I thought I could do it. Now a couple of weeks later I`m figuring out that isn`t the case. But it`s fine. I`d rather do it slowly and learn from the whole experience. I`m going to try not to go the more aggressive route but if the next session doesn`t produce results, I might step it up.

I don`t disagree, but I`d rather somebody swap pads frequently than either 1) use a loaded-up/clogged/glazed-over one, or 2) work too hard at on-the-fly-cleaning. I`ve sometimes used a *LOT* of pads on a correction, simply because it was quick and easy (if pricey).
    I have 9 orange pads that are still wet even when I leave them out in the sun for several hours. I`ve also got some white B&S ones too that I could use. I`m thinking for a non-professional, this is enough pads; though often times, I do wish I had more

Post Thanks / Like

Nav45- I trust you first blotted/squeezed the pads somewhat dry using a cotton towel...

Sounds like another good reason to buy an air compressor! Blowing pads (somewhat) clean, blowing them (somewhat) dry, along with all the other stuff a compressor is handy (or essential) for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nav45 View Post
    pwaug, I`m using the B&S orange pad. I think I will try again and see how it goes. If the swirls are still there, I might step it up to a more aggressive polish/compound though I prefer not to. I have the Ultimate Compound so I`m wondering if that`s the way to go if my next session doesn`t do it or another polish?

For the denture brush, do you simply hold it against the middle/outer part of the pad while the DA is spinning? I tried that with a pad cleaning brush and it did some damage to the pads.
    I hold the brush at a slight angle (tilted the opposite way of rotation if you know what I mean) so that it doesn`t get caught on the pad while it is spinning on speed 3-4 and move the brush across the surface of the pad. I also then use a MF towel bunched up and hold it against the spinning pad. Never had either cause problems with the pad.

After cleaning my pads and rinsing very well I squeeze out as much water as I can (no twisting of the pad) then lay them Velcro up inbetween mulitple layers of an old terry towel on the floor--then stand on each one for a second or two--Then air dry on an open rack. By next morning they are totally dry. I think some put them in the dryer on very low heat.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

That`s why I love using MF pads whenever possible...its so easy to clean then between panels with compressed air, plus once primed, you don`t need to add much product which in turn doesn`t clog the pad like foam. You can just keep going and going. Foam pads are much more wasteful and time consuming to work with imo, but unfortunately foam pads are better suited to most polishing.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nav45- I trust you first blotted/squeezed the pads somewhat dry using a cotton towel...

Sounds like another good reason to buy an air compressor! Blowing pads (somewhat) clean, blowing them (somewhat) dry, along with all the other stuff a compressor is handy (or essential) for.
    I squeeze the pads but do not use a towel. I`m going to have to do that. These thick pads take almost a week to dry because I`m apparently not removing enough water out of them. Thanks for the air compressor suggestion. This product can have multiple uses besides car-related ones.

I hold the brush at a slight angle (tilted the opposite way of rotation if you know what I mean) so that it doesn`t get caught on the pad while it is spinning on speed 3-4 and move the brush across the surface of the pad. I also then use a MF towel bunched up and hold it against the spinning pad. Never had either cause problems with the pad.

After cleaning my pads and rinsing very well I squeeze out as much water as I can (no twisting of the pad) then lay them Velcro up inbetween mulitple layers of an old terry towel on the floor--then stand on each one for a second or two--Then air dry on an open rack. By next morning they are totally dry. I think some put them in the dryer on very low heat.
    I might look into that cleaning method. Interesting that it has worked very well for you.

I`ve actually been twisting the pad a bit sometimes . I was also thinking this isn`t really good for the pad. Nice approach you just mentioned - I will have to try that. Not sure if I want to experiment with the dryer yet, haha. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    That`s why I love using MF pads whenever possible...its so easy to clean then between panels with compressed air, plus once primed, you don`t need to add much product which in turn doesn`t clog the pad like foam. You can just keep going and going. Foam pads are much more wasteful and time consuming to work with imo, but unfortunately foam pads are better suited to most polishing.
    I`ve still got a lot to learn when using foam pads so I`m not even going to try the MF pads for a while. Do these offer more of a cut and faster working time than foam pads? Sounds like good products and more user friendly. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nav45 View Post
    I will post a picture soon. What aggressive polish do you use?
    I use Meguiars (M205 to polish and M101 to compound). I normally use M101 for scratches and M205 for swirls. The only difference between the two is, how my fingernail catches the scratch when inspecting. The more my nail catches on the scratches the more I lean towards M101, but I always do a test spot of M205 just in case it`s enough.

I`ve also tried to polish with KAIO but found it doesn`t do much other than clean the paint (others have had some success polishing with KAIO likely on softer paints).

Post Thanks / Like

Nav45--I don`t know if it`s a wise idea to use something so aggressive as 101 while you`re still learnging technique etc. and without a paint thickness guage. As I remember you have a Mazda and they typically seem to have thin clearcoat from what others have posted. For my first 2 or 3 machine polishing trys I use HD Speed (an all in one) just to play it safe then moved on to a polish, then to a compound as I got more experience. Maybe I`m just too cautious.
    Likes mshu7 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    That`s why I love using MF pads whenever possible...its so easy to clean then between panels with compressed air, plus ..[all sorts of other good points]...
    Yes indeed! The combo of MF Cutting Disks and compressed air is simply great. I still finish out with foam, but that`s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nav45
    I`ve still got a lot to learn when using foam pads so I`m not even going to try the MF pads for a while. Do these offer more of a cut and faster working time than foam pads? Sounds like good products and more user friendly. Thanks
    If you don`t mind spending the $, I can`t think of any real downside to switching to the MF Cutting Disks. Plenty safe/etc., no worries there. In *some* instances I do better serious correction via the maroon foam cutting pads, but I suspect that`s just because I have more experience with those as opposed to the MF. The MF Cutting Disks (I`ve only used the Meguiar`s ones) really do work great and they run *cooler* than foam so they`re actually safer with regard to several potential "oops!"-factors.

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nvinmtl
    I`ve also tried to polish with KAIO but found it doesn`t do much other than clean the paint (others have had some success polishing with KAIO likely on softer paints).
    I always find it surprising when people claim to get *any* correction out of KAIO; must be from the pad itself as KAIO has proven fuctionally nonabrasive for me, even on *VERY* soft single-stage black.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information