Post Thanks / Like

3D Trim Care Protectant review (holiday giveaway)

A little late to the party, but I felt it was appropriate to wait for a stretch of above freezing weather for a fair review of an exterior trim product. In the 3D/HD giveaway, I was sent samples of both the 3D Trim Care Protectant and HD Total APC.

The subject vehicle was my recently acquired DD, a 40,000 mile Lacrosse. Not much unpainted trim to work with on a Buick, but one area that needed serious attention was the molding around the sunroof glass. Last November I did a hasty paint prep to withstand being parked outdoors thru a PA winter, so we had wax residue to deal with as well as deterioration from age.
    Against black paint, the graying molding stood out boldly.

First step was a thorough cleaning after protecting the nearby paint.

I mixed up the Total APC at 1:5 dilution and went at it with a small stiff brush. Results were OK, but for good measure I scrubbed again with my current favorite, Mother`s B to B HD Trim Cleaner, followed by another pass with HD Total to remove any residue. After everything dried it was time for the dressing.
    3D Trim Care has a rather heavy consistency, with no objectionable odor. I substituted a flip-top spout for the standard cap and cut a piece of old polishing pad to an L-shape to follow the molding contour. The product spreads well and spreads evenly, requiring just a few small squirts to cover the entire perimeter. Following directions, I repeated the application process after allowing the initial app to soak in, then after 20 minutes lightly wiped of the minimal excess. I would have preferred to do another app, but sunlight was fading fast, so it was time for a final pic.

In diminishing light it looked great, but a tougher test was the morning after in bright sunlight.

As you can see, it wasn`t quite as black the next morning, but still a substantial improvement. This weekend I`ll give it a light cleaning and a few more apps of product, as it appears the parched plastic is still in need of more soaking.

The true tests of a trim product IMO, are ease of use, initial results and durability. So far, I consider the 3D to be very satisfactory in the first two criteria. After another app or two, I`ll update on durability, but it looks like a product well worth considering.

Thanks again David and 3D/HD for the giveaway, and I`ll update in the future after some rain and sun exposure.

Bill

Likes Ben@3D liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D Trim Care Protectant review (holiday giveaway)

I purchased 3D trim care last year. I found the product alright. I cleaned all the plastic trim on a vehicle with 3D`s all purpose orange degreaser which came out really clean. But of course the plastic looked faded. After an application of Trim Care, the results were instantaneous. Black was deep and there was a high shine. It`s not greasy feeling but if you do put a lot of product on then there is a residue feel to it. Regardless you can feel there`s something on there.

My only nitpicking thoughts are I wish there was a deep black but not as glossy or shiny. Also I found after a rainfall or a car wash the product is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. My brothers car has the same issue with the rubber molding on his sun roof. I applied 2 coats of wolfgang exterior trim sealant and it looks better.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great review. Look forward to your further testing.
    3D and HD Professional Detailing Products

Post Thanks / Like

I am also going to be a little late to the party....it has been the worst winter we have ever had around here....review of HD speed to come....sorry guys

Post Thanks / Like

Follow-up to my review of 4/7/15:
    Since I did the review of the 3D Trim Care, I had done one more app the following weekend, then just left it alone, with nothing but soap or rinseless washes. The appearance of the molding wasn`t noticeably different than when I did my first application. Yesterday, 6/21/15, I was taping off the sunroof molding to do a machine polish of the roof and to my surprise, the low-tack green painter`s tape wouldn`t stick at all. I opened a fresh roll of Meguiar`s tape (the old-school tan tape) and it gripped, but barely. Obviously, this stuff`s been hanging in thru 2 1/2 months of 24/7 exposure to sun and rain.
    Based on my experience, if you`re looking for a product that accomplishes serious like-new restoration on faded, deteriorated trim, look elsewhere to the pricier stuff. But if your plastics are in moderately good shape and you want a product with some serious "apply-and-forget" durability at moderate cost, 3D Trim Care is definitely worth a look. Next up for treatment is my wiper cowl area.

Thanks again to David at 3D/HD for the chance to try the product!

Bill

Thread Information