Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Adaptive Abrasive Technology (AAT) Explained

What is Adaptive Abrasive Technology?

Back when HD Adapt was introduced and now with 3D`s new AAT polishing compounds, so many people have been asking what makes these products different from not only other 3D & HD products, but pretty much all other products on the market. To properly explain this answer, I need to 1st touch on what Adaptive Abrasive Technology (AAT) is. AAT isn`t like anything else on the market today. It can`t be copied, replicated or reverse-engineered. Tunch Goren has gone to great lengths to not only create this new technology, but also to distinguish that it be in a category all by itself. In fact, its name has actually been trademarked.

What`s most interesting about HD and now 3D polishing compounds that contain this special technology is that it extends what is possible in both cutting and finishing characteristics because of not just the unique abrasives used, but also a special chemical booster that allows the abrasive package to cut harder and quicker while also finishing better. It`s almost as if this creates a multidimensional symmetry of sorts by pushing the boundaries of what a compound and polish are capable of achieving. Many manufacturers source their abrasives from similar sources. However, these abrasives can only do so much by themselves .Giving it a boost takes it to the next level. I`ve personally used so many different compounds over the decades, but I`ve never witnessed a system as powerful and easy to use as this one.

All the 3D & HD products that contain AAT can be used with any type of machine and buffing pad you`d like. However, the new 3D AAT Paint Correction System was created and is targeted towards the largest market in detailing which is body shops. And these shops typically are using rotary buffers. Not only is this platform (fresh refinishes) the largest, but it`s also the most difficult to create a product that works flawlessly on. This is mostly in part due to the many variables that can occur such as differences in paint systems (BASF, PPG, Sikkens, etc), forced or air cured (i.e.baked), and environmental/geographical factors throughout the world. AAT has been designed to work exceptionally well on the variables these fresh finishes present ultimately saving the end user time while producing a superior finish . The abrasives used have been specially selected so that it doesn`t tear away at these soft, almost jelly bean like finishes. Mechanical cutting can only do so much. Our chemical assistance takes the capabilities of the abrasives further This special chemical additive works in unison with the abrasives to assist with cutting and finishing duties. This chemical-mechanical system has been created to produce exceptional cut while leaving the least amount of surface hazing and dust. This not also works well on fresh paint finishes, but also on other softer surfaces such as PPF, bare metals & plastics. Another unique characteristic of AAT is its ability to hold the abrasives, lubricants & chemicals together in a slurry like even consistency. This ultimately produces a cleaner cutting action and also helps displace abraded material mitigating dust build up.

The folks at 3D/HD look forward to you trying 1 of our new AAT polishing compounds. We`re hoping it will change the way you look at polishing paint while also providing you with quicker and better results.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes ShaneB, Ecrissman liked this post
    Thanks ShaneB, Ecrissman thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adaptive Abrasive Technology (AAT) Explained

I`m going to be picking up a new compound and polish soon. Was going to pickup HD cut and polish, but should I think about these new ones you speak of? It sounds like they could be the most versatile but how do they compare to HF cut/polish?

Better yet, sun friendly? I`m going to have to go at least a good portion of the season here mobile still until I can find a cheap garage. And a pop up canopy isn`t an option due to space limitations
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shane - All of 3D/HD polishing compounds are sun friendly actually, so no worries in that department. These 2 new products from 3D are definite improvements over their HD predecessors. Mainly because they are formulated with the AAT components. Much more cutting action and a better overall finish with both the #501 Rubbing Compound & #502 Finishing Polish.
    Likes ShaneB liked this post
    Thanks ShaneB thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Ill give them a shot. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds awesome. When will the products be available for purchase?
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite sure I understand.

DAT/SMAT are pretty straightforward as their names imply their make-up.

AAT doesn`t fall into either category? It`s non-diminishing? Diminishing?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IHA Mark View Post
    Sounds awesome. When will the products be available for purchase?
    It should of already been on sale, but 1 last component is experiencing a shipping delay. It should be very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JVD View Post
    Not quite sure I understand.

DAT/SMAT are pretty straightforward as their names imply their make-up.

AAT doesn`t fall into either category? It`s non-diminishing? Diminishing?

As I mentioned in the 1st paragraph above,

AAT isn`t like anything else on the market today. It can`t be copied, replicated or reverse-engineered. Tunch Goren has gone to great lengths to not only create this new technology, but also to distinguish that it be in a category all by itself. In fact, its name has actually been trademarked.
    it really isn`t like other polishing compounds. Not even all that similar the existing products HD/3D currently offers as they`re a total revamp with the addition of the chemical additive which really is a game changer. But, the abrasive package (like all 3D/HD products) is non-diminishing. Hope this helps..

Post Thanks / Like

Can`t wait to try it David!

Post Thanks / Like

From tunch`s mouth, there is many components in the making of the new aat. Double or triple the ingredients of a regular polish or compound. We were in California trying it out. Cuts really fast and finishes well for the speed it cuts. 502 is also nice and has really good cut for a polish

Post Thanks / Like

Hi David

you know how pedantic and fussy I am about the polishes I use
    my main concern with them is that many use cheap solvents and other lubricants

I am really interested in trying these as I`m set with the two polishes I use but I do need a better compound than I`m currently using as it has abrasives I can feel and their sharp as which I dont like and it`s only saving grace is that it is water based so it cannot put burn marks in the paint. however it still struggles with deep marks and sanding marks as its the old type abrasives that need heat to start working ie rotary 1500 rpm and I want to get away from that

I use compounds only for sanding marks or if someone has used a kitchen scourer to remove a bird dropping or tar which happened last week in fact
    anyhow I have a few questions to ask

when will the msds sheet be available?
    I need to see what type of lubricants/solvents are in there so I know that I`m not buying a product that`s loaded with cheap solvents like many are

I dont use products containing stoddard solvent/naptha, kerosene or glycerin or the carcinogenic siloxane solvents from the skin care industry that 3M uses in one of theirs
    the siloxane ones are a higher quality than stoddard which dries out too fast but I wont use something thats carcinogenic

2. does the AAT compound and the polish film nicely on the surface with a nice transparent film from start to finish so I can see the swirls and scratches being removed as I work the surface?

I ask this because one thing I hate is compounds and polishes that start cloudy and finish transparent (emulsion break), mine are clear from start to finish and the film of polish stays wet on the surface without being overly oily (no glycerin in the formula of those I use)

3. Is it a true water based formula in which when I spray water on the surface that has polish on it, the water washes the product down to nothing and wipes away totally so I can remove any dried polish from the paint or exterior trim instantly. ie will the polish not stick like concrete to the paint like old school solvent based compounds and polishes did

4. If I accidently run my pad over the exterior trim will it cause the trim to turn white?
    What I currently use does not do this and actually polishes the trim regardless of material type even textured bumpers as its water based and rolling abrasive not sharply faced ones

5. Alot of compounds actually rip and tear at the paint when correcting it which then leads to marring from virtually any pad type and technique thus why they dont work on soft paints. What I use rolls over the paint and the abrasives are SMAT and DAT combined

6. This chemical booster sounds interesting, I`ve been told that kerosene in polishes can soften the paint which allows it to correct faster but Im not a fan of that idea. I have a chemical additive that I use with polish to do some proprietary things to the paint which are very beneficial.

the fact that you say the abrasives in these two products dont tear away at the paint is very good to hear as Ive tested 125 brands of detailing products over the last twenty two years and the two things I hate about conventional polishes/compounds are gougy teary abrasives and cheap solvents which reduces the gloss that can be achieved from them vs water based polishes which will leave a far better richer color and the fact that poor quality solvents in many actually dry out fast and then take the other lubricants away with them and then a foam pad increase the risk of leaving a burn mark in the paint especially from rotary use as the pad has no lubrication from the lubricants being taken away all of a sudden
    not only that but some solvents can break down the binders in the paint over time with regular use, my cars paint is like glue now to polish because of using a certain range of polishes that are heavily solvent based (circa 2004) and very popular in USA

what I use is burn mark proof and the only one I know of.

I am sorry to ask so many technical questions but I do not buy a product unless I`ve read the MSDS sheet and investigated some technical things so I know that the ingredients that I hate with a passion are not in the formula. if they are I dont buy them.
    In recent years I`ve been taught by two chemists in the automotive industry about what each ingredient in detailing products are and which ones are good and bad and what they are in the formula to do.

If there are certain solvents and other ingredients I dislike that are in a product, I will not purchase them

Im not here to steal formula`s, I just need to know that I`m not polishing paint with a formula that contains ingredients which will cause filling or break the paint down over time like kerosene and others can or that contain certain solvents which will dry out too quick and risk paint burning

If these two products are not totally water based, will there come a time where the 3D or HD line contains any that will be
    We do not need solvents anymore to wash away abraded colored paint anymore as we have clear coat paints and a proper polish formula does not need EDTA and certain solvents to hold it all together.

Oh and would 3D ever consider going away from aluminium oxide to a different oxide type for super hard paints or for certain conditions?

Thanks
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like

SVR (Matt) - I`m going to forward your questions to the folks at 3D as I`m not 100% sure on some of the answers. Tunch is in China right now so don`t know how quick he`ll be able to respond, but please stay tuned. Your questions are excellent!!

Post Thanks / Like

SVR, the question begs to be asked. From the criteria you`ve listed it sounds like your arsenal is unbeatable. What products are you currently using?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

This product fills out a system that has different speeds of cut and finishing quality. As Tunch said the system is a fast, faster and fastest system. Fast be Ultra Ultra Compound, faster being HD Cut and Fastest being AAT Rubbing Compound. Each with different speeds of cut and finish and different price points to appease the market. We tested all of them at 1500 sanding scratches and AAT is about 30% faster in cut than HD Cut, and Ultra compound takes a little over double the time of HD Cut. The finish is similar with all, and HD in my opinion finsihes slightly better than AAT, but the speed gain will net you a better finish in similar time when finished with 502. So essentially a cut and polish will take less time overall than HD Cut and HD Polish.
    Likes IHA Mark, David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryansbestwax View Post
    This product fills out a system that has different speeds of cut and finishing quality. As Tunch said the system is a fast, faster and fastest system. Fast be Ultra Ultra Compound, faster being HD Cut and Fastest being AAT Rubbing Compound. Each with different speeds of cut and finish and different price points to appease the market. We tested all of them at 1500 sanding scratches and AAT is about 30% faster in cut than HD Cut, and Ultra compound takes a little over double the time of HD Cut. The finish is similar with all, and HD in my opinion finsihes slightly better than AAT, but the speed gain will net you a better finish in similar time when finished with 502. So essentially a cut and polish will take less time overall than HD Cut and HD Polish.
    30% faster than Cut.
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Likes Ben@3D liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    SVR, the question begs to be asked. From the criteria you`ve listed it sounds like your arsenal is unbeatable. What products are you currently using?
    I can`t say what brand unfortunately lets just say most have never heard of it. Their not in the business of being Meguiars

No it`s not unbeatable totally as it does struggle a little on the heaviest of marks on hard paint due to the rolling abrasives but it`s far safer and is a progressive cut not a rip and hack at the paint like most of it`s competitors and it`s far more advanced

It`s definately one of the leaders for sure.

its USA made but from euro and Jap abrasives but their not off the shelf abrasives though and the formula is all new and is like water not a cream with no need for disodium EDTA (anti coaggulant used to hold solvent and water formula`s together in personal care products and some polishes) or other solvents either

The difference is in the fact that it wasn`t made for a price, it took millions to develop two of the polishes and their not interested in making products for cheap or to a set price like the masses are.
    It costs heaps more to produce
    and it never needs shaking, suspension of all ingredients is amazing.

Mothers tried to copy it a few years ago and failed
    Their new Pro line is the closest thing to it but still suffers the same problems that plagues most - the same old formulation with better abrasive technology.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information