Post Thanks / Like

Review and comparison of HD Poxy (holiday giveway)

First off a huge thank you to Dave and everyone at 3D/HD for this giveaway. For this review, I felt the need to do a comparison, because I feel that is the best way to gauge a product. For this test, I put Poxy to the test against two of my tried and true products. HD poxy is advertised as a sealant, so I put it up against my go to sealant in Poorboys exp. Poxy is also advertised as being able to darken and enhance paintwork which gave me the crazy idea to compare it to my go to aio which is basically meg`s finishing wax topped with d156 for durability.

For the left, I applied Meg`s finishing wax on a finishing 5 inch disc via Rupes 15 and after removal, I sprayed down a layer of D156. In the center, I used a green uber pad on the rupes to apply Poxy.

The first thing I noticed was that the Megs finishing wax muted a lot of the metallic and took away some depth. This is my basic aio package for customers and it seems to work great because it fills a good bit and offers some defect removal, and I`ve seen 6-8 weeks protection from the combo. Poxy kept up with the megs combo in the looks department. I am pretty sure it`s non abrasive, so any removal came from the pad, and I`m also not entirely sure it fills either because the metallic looked great and the paint looked a lot deeper. I must say I was really impressed in this.

Once I removed the tape and saw how much both had darkended the paint, I was really impressed

Onto the sealant comparison. In the looks department, Poxy really took me by surprise. I am used to sealants creating a bright almost glassy look which Exp does excellent in. However, I personally like the darkened and deepened look that Poxy gives. Exp is one of the most user friendly products I have, and Poxy matched it. The only drawback with poxy is the scent. It reminds me of suntaan lotion which I just didn`t enjoy (probably because I`m allergic to suntan lotion.) Outside of that, it was really nice to use and as I said before, it really wins in the looks department. However this is an area of the test that is really all about durability, which will be updated periodically.

For the final part of the review, I had to do the obligatory beading shot. Poxy really sheeted the water off well and it took a good bit of effort to actually get a beeding shot.

For my final thoughts in this comparison/review, I must say HD Poxy really stepped up to the plate and blew me out of the water. It is one of the easiest lsp`s I`ve used and especially considering it was 36 degrees and the air was really damp. I had no trouble applying or removing Poxy. It really excells in the looks department as well and provided it lasts a good 3-4 months, it will definitely become my go to sealant, and unless it completely fails, it very well may be my go to AIO. For 15$, it is a pretty good steal, and everyone should give it a shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes RMD, David Fermani, 01GreyStangGT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review and comparison of HD Poxy (holiday giveway)

Quote Originally Posted by top189h View Post
    I am pretty sure it`s non abrasive, so any removal came from the pad, and I`m also not entirely sure it fills either because the metallic looked great and the paint looked a lot deeper.
    Excellent comparison review!! Your documentation is great! Glad you liked POXY.

To add to your comments, yes, there are no abrasives in POXY.

Think about what the act of filling does? It adds a clear layer of oil over the imperfections and makes them less visible right? When you do this you also make the clearcoat clearer which allows the metallic flakes to be seen easier.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of that. I just felt that most things that filled also muted the metallic.
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick update, I planned on doing a durability test between the 3 different products. Unfortunately a Fedex truck ran a red light and took out the front end of my brother`s truck. So once it finally gets above freezing again, hopefully I will be able to find another test vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Poxy is my go to for the show car/garage queen job. Love the look and feel, easy on and off, the look of a wax with the protection of a sealant.

www.meticulous-detail.com/

"The Prep makes the Pop, not what`s on Top"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by top189h View Post
    Just a quick update, I planned on doing a durability test between the 3 different products. Unfortunately a Fedex truck ran a red light and took out the front end of my brother`s truck. So once it finally gets above freezing again, hopefully I will be able to find another test vehicle.
    That`s terrible news. I hope he`s ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meticulous View Post
    Poxy is my go to for the show car/garage queen job. Love the look and feel, easy on and off, the look of a wax with the protection of a sealant.
    Didn`t even see that, sorry. Hope everyone is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.meticulous-detail.com/

"The Prep makes the Pop, not what`s on Top"

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. I picked up a 32 oz bottle of Proxy during a 3D promo. Super easy to use and a great look. I feel its very comparable to BFWD in looks.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Pat - did you ever score any POXY back when DavidB promoted HD way back?

Post Thanks / Like

He is okay and the truck is fixable. It just needs basically everything on the front end and a wheel and new right front suspension.

Thread Information