Post Thanks / Like

HD Total 1:10 Review

As part of the holiday giveaway, I chose Total as I am always on the look out for a good APC, especially one at cleaning tires. Unfortunately, due to the weather, no tire cleaning will be done for a little while, so I decided to test Total where I almost never use an APC, on the interior. I chose the 1:10 dilution for leather and gentle cleaning.

Here is my steering wheel before. Notice it is slightly glossy meaning it has dirt and oil on it and leather should be matte when clean:

I used a CG goat brush to agitate and at 1:10, it still foamed nicely, so I assume it will do well when I have it more concentrated for tire cleaning and in a foaming sprayer:

As you can see it did a nice job as the bottom half is now matte while the top half is still a little glossy:

All of the dirt that was removed:

Now for a more dirty one:

It was hard to get a good picture, but notice how the right side is more matte. In person, the look and feel indicated that it was well cleaned:

Pedals before:

After:

Rubber trim before:

After:

A lot of dirt was removed from the rubber:

Overall, HD Total is a great economical APC for interior cleaning as it seemed plenty strong at 1:10. The fact that it did well on the rubber trim also makes me believe it will be a good tire cleaner, but I won`t know for sure until I test. I just wish it had a more pleasant scent as it can be slightly headache inducing when using it inside of a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Total 1:10 Review

Nice review, thank you for your efforts!

-Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Looks like it did a good job.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Great review !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

HD Total is more of a SAFE interior based APC. It`s not strong enough to deep clean heavily soiled tires or exterior grime, so keep that in mind.

Nice review.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review! And to echo Mark`s comment.......he is correct. Total doesn`t excel at deep cleaning heavy soiling on wheels & tires. More of a cleaner you`d want to reach for on regular cleanings of those parts where heavy build up isn`t present. On the other hand, it can and will tackle any level of grime on the interior without fear.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Very nice review! And to echo Mark`s comment.......he is correct. Total doesn`t excel at deep cleaning heavy soiling on wheels & tires. More of a cleaner you`d want to reach for on regular cleanings of those parts where heavy build up isn`t present. On the other hand, it can and will tackle any level of grime on the interior without fear.
    That`s disappointing, but I`ll still test it out. For interiors I really like Adam`s Leather & Interior Cleaner, but I must say Total did pretty much just as well at a much more economical price.

Post Thanks / Like

Try it and see. I just have much heavier/stronger cleaners at my disposal, but that doesn`t mean that Total won`t perform well for you. Please let us know 1st hand.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Try it and see. I just have much heavier/stronger cleaners at my disposal, but that doesn`t mean that Total won`t perform well for you. Please let us know 1st hand.
    I will be making an exterior review for it, but it will be a little while. My car doesn`t get quite as much loving while I`m at college, but that`s why I coated it.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    For interiors I really like Adam`s Leather & Interior Cleaner
    That stuff is pretty acidic, so be careful. Even though HD TOTAL is slightly alkaline, I`d say HD TOTAL is much safer.
    Likes Ecrissman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1Mark View Post
    That stuff is pretty acidic, so be careful. Even though HD TOTAL is slightly alkaline, I`d say HD TOTAL is much safer.
    Adam`s says it is alkaline.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how HD Total at 10:1 would compare to Optimum Power Clean at 3:1. The reason that I ask is that I am in the market for an Interior APC that is cheaper than OPC and that has a more pleasant smell. Currently I use OPC at 3:1 to clean most all interior vinyl and leather. I use it because it does a good job and I know it is safe on all surfaces including leather. The HD Total would definitely be cheaper but I wouldn`t want to lose any of the cleaning power or the safety that OPC offers. By the way; How is the smell of the Total ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    I wonder how HD Total at 10:1 would compare to Optimum Power Clean at 3:1. The reason that I ask is that I am in the market for an Interior APC that is cheaper than OPC and that has a more pleasant smell. Currently I use OPC at 3:1 to clean most all interior vinyl and leather. I use it because it does a good job and I know it is safe on all surfaces including leather. The HD Total would definitely be cheaper but I wouldn`t want to lose any of the cleaning power or the safety that OPC offers. By the way; How is the smell of the Total ?
    Chemically, but it`s not strong when you are using it.

Thread Information