Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

tdowns187- I`ll warn you that HD Cut/3" MF took *FOREVER* to do correction on the A8, and I do mean forever.` I finally decided that next time I was gonna do the initial work with M105, or else use a much mroe aggressive (i.e., wool) pad with the HD. Sorry to be such a bummer...Audi clear is just a PIA when it needs significant correction.

`

But yeah, working small areas *very* slowly really will work out better in the long run.` Seems counter-intuitive but it always works out that way for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone,

`

So here`s a brief update. `My 5 1/2 inch buff daddy pads showed up a little early and I had some time so I figured I`d take a stab at the trunk lid that served as my test panel. `I just started out with the orange MF pad along with HD cut. `Again, the results are not flawless, but IMO MUCH improved compared to above results via HD cut on an orange foam pad.

`

I followed up with MF black pad and HD polish. `

`

As David mentioned above, I may try a white foam pad with HD polish as an alternative when I do the rest of the car to see if results differ at all. `

`

I used my GG DA at 5 or 6, firm pressure, minimal product and slow arm speed.

`

Following photos are via iPhone and a Brinkmann.

First photo shows an obvious remaining RID, second photo shows a different part of the trunk deck. `

`

`

`

Over all I am happy with this result for now. `First black car correction, notoriously tough paint to work with. `PO must have frequented shady drive through car washes or shady hand wash places. `This is my DD..

`

More photos next weekend after I do the rest of the car

`

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome. `Thank you all for sharing your opinions and knowledge!

`

Tony

`

`

`

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it`s finally coming along. Stick with it and don`t be hesitant to do additional passes where/when needed. Looking forward to more results.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

tdpwns187- Hey, that looks like a huge improvement, and it sounds like it`s going better time/efficiency-wise too.

`

I wouldn`t bother chasing down every RIDS 100% for now anyway, so I think you`re doing great.` While Autopia can get a you all revved up about how nothing but perfection is acceptable, IRL it`s the car`s overall appearance that really matters.

Post Thanks / Like

"5 1/2 inch buff daddy pads"

`

tdowns--Did you mean Buff & Shine???
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I meant Buff and Shine haha sorry about the confusion`

Post Thanks / Like

FINALLY getting around to doing the correction on the whole car.....

`

Washed, re-clayed and got to work with HD cut and 5.5 inch buff and shine microfiber pads. `Got adequate results for the most part with the exception of the hood which was badly swirled and has a bunch of RIDS. `This prompted me to go buy some Megs 105. `I`d say the 105 had a bit more cut which sped things along a bit but way more dust and harder to work with overall in my novice opinion. `I got the whole thing corrected to a level that I am content with. `Planning on HD polish on buff and shine MF black pads or various other foam pads followed by HD poxy tomorrow. `Updates to follow, input welcome and appreciated.

`

`

Thanks,

`

TD

Post Thanks / Like

tdowns187- Glad you`re making progress, same findings here regarding Cut vs. M105 (except that I find M105 easy to work with).` Don`t use *too* gentle a pad, that hard clear makes the final finessing a challenge too.` Polish *does* leave a nice finish on Audi clear though, at least IME (IIRC I used a Griot`s polishing pad, similar to the LC Hydrotech Tangerine).

Post Thanks / Like

<span style="font-family:`helvetica neue`;"><span style="font-size:11pt;">Hello all-

`

<span style="font-family:`helvetica neue`;"><span style="font-size:11pt;">So per my last post I used HD cut and Megs 105 to compound. `Got a fair amount of dust from the 105, so I did an IPA wipe down. I then followed up with HD polish on 5.5 Buff and Shine black MF pads. `THe HD polish was as always easy to work with. `I really concentrated on using minimal product i.e. no priming, 4 dots first section, 2 or 3 thereafter and frequent pad cleaning. `This resulted in minimal dusting. `I had planned on using compressed air for cleaning the MF pads per others` recommendations, however my compressor was out of commission, but the use of a terry cloth and pad brush worked well. `To follow, I applied HD poxy with a red 5.5 HD pad. `All correcting / application was with GG`s DA polisher.

`

<span style="font-family:`helvetica neue`;"><span style="font-size:11pt;">Results are not professional level stuff but the car looks way better and I am satisfied. `I`d say 90% swirls gone, and a few RIDS still remain. Pics below are not the greatest...

`

Didn`t go over the temporary tape "50/50 boarder" here results are better then this ha

`

`

Post compounding

`

Driver`s Side

`

Passenger`s Side

`

Hood #1

`

Hood #2

`

Thanks for looking,

`

TD

Post Thanks / Like

That does look good! And I bet it`s even more impressive in person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information