Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would do an IP wipe followed by either an ONR wash or Dawn wash to insure the surface is totally bare before Opti-Coating it. Many people are having great success by polishing with Optimum Polish and going straight to the coating.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I would do an IP wipe followed by either an ONR wash or Dawn wash to insure the surface is totally bare before Opti-Coating it. Many people are having great success by polishing with Optimum Polish and going straight to the coating.
    Thanks ... I do not have any ONR and have used Opti Polish II and did not care for the way it removed and the build up "chalk".

Would you wash with Dawn and then IP or IP and then Dawn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would IPA after Dawn, I know many have mentioned Dawn is fine then go to coating,

but then I read of coating failures.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...-my-paint.html

Specifically:

Dish washing detergents usually contain a sheeting agent (Alcohol alkoxylate or sodium) or other additive to avoid water spotting; along with emollients or moisturizers; these work by forming a thin protective coating on the surface of the dishes or glassware and also to protect the skin to prevent any loss of moisture. However emollients make the paint surface more difficult to dry and leave an oily residue on the paint surface, which may negatively affect .product cross-linking / bonding and will also negatively affect the surface reflectivity (Gloss) Dawn specifically uses Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol) as its main cleaning agent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet
    how did you like it all with the poxy on top?
    So here is the final product. This is a 2005 Hyundai Sonata that lives in FL. It is NOT Garage Kept and is out side in the sun most of the time.

The steps I used:

1. Wash and Clay

2. HD Cut with PC DA and LC orange pad

3. HD polish with PC DA and LC white pad

4. HD Poxy with PC DA and LC red pad

5. PoorBoys World Trim Restorer on the Black

6. Turtle wax tire shine

It has not been washed in 5 days

(Oops ... I did not take a Halo pic, but trust me ... there are none, at least on the vertical surfaces)

CQuartZ Finest Installer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ever since I got HD cut, I never looked back. Amazing cut, no dust, longest working time of any other compound and the only one that gets close to it in my experience but it doesn`t finish it off like HD cut does is D300. I use with my flex3401 and CCS pads wow, amazing product. I have M100 M101 I only get them out in case I need the extra punch for deeper RIDS other than that, HD cut is the only one. Now I must say, I have just got my hands on Wolfgang Uber 3.0 and wow I am amazed as well, just like HD cut. I can`t wait to get my hands on HD adapt.
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing

-South Florida-

CQuartZ Finest Authorized Installer/Modesta Coating/Xpel/Suntek and Concours Level Expert Detailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MRM1

Would you wash with Dawn and then IP or IP and then Dawn?

Sorry for the late reply, but looks like things worked out great for you.

In case anyone is interested in my answer to the above question.......I would 1st use Alcohol liberally to loosen up and remove a good amount of the polishing oils. It`s really tough to remove them all unless you go through a bunch of towels. In this case, 1 towel will do the trick. Then, any loosened up remnants will get washed away with a basic ONR wash. This also leaves the surface semi-slick and allows the applicator to glide over the finish rather than potentially skid from the surface feeling squeeky after alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco

Ever since I got HD cut, I never looked back. Amazing cut, no dust, longest working time of any other compound and the only one that gets close to it in my experience but it doesn`t finish it off like HD cut does is D300. I use with my flex3401 and CCS pads wow, amazing product. I have M100 M101 I only get them out in case I need the extra punch for deeper RIDS other than that, HD cut is the only one. Now I must say, I have just got my hands on Wolfgang Uber 3.0 and wow I am amazed as well, just like HD cut. I can`t wait to get my hands on HD adapt.

But Adapt wont have the Cut power of HD Cut will it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

Sorry for the late reply, but looks like things worked out great for you.

In case anyone is interested in my answer to the above question.......I would 1st use Alcohol liberally to loosen up and remove a good amount of the polishing oils. It`s really tough to remove them all unless you go through a bunch of towels. In this case, 1 towel will do the trick. Then, any loosened up remnants will get washed away with a basic ONR wash. This also leaves the surface semi-slick and allows the applicator to glide over the finish rather than potentially skid from the surface feeling squeeky after alcohol.

Thanks, Actually The pics are just with an HD Poxy top.` I will remove it and apply OptiCoat next week.` I have to get the bumper painted on the Silver car first.

`

Also still working on my recently painted Murano.` Came back with Orange Peel.` Not really that bad, but could be better.` So I have been slowly using UD Cut and Car Pro Denim Pads to level and reduce the Orange Peel, then using HD Cut and an orange LC pad followed by HD Polish and a white LC pad with a PCXL.` Finishing out nice.

`

Once both cars are done, I just got some DP Coating Prep Polish.` Will prep them for Opticoat with the DP coating prep.`

Post Thanks / Like

The Car Pro pads are amazing! Takes orange peel removal to an entirely different level. Not familiar with the DP coating prep, but if it`s like the prep polish that Optimum offers you should be fine. You might want to reserve a test panel/spot to see if there is any difference in bonding/adhesion.`

Post Thanks / Like

After appling the OptiCoat,` I got odd hazing in certain sun light conditions on the large vertical panals only that I have never heard any one talk about.` The horizontal panels look great, and the vertical ones do to except in a setting sun as the sun hits it from the side.` These are not halos, they are long hazy spots.` And they do not appear like hi spots as you cannot see them or find them in other light.`

`

But over all, happy with the OptiCoat end result.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information