Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hd polish

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsc
    .. used water like I always do with any polish. did not have Touch..

Huh :think: I sometimes do use a bit of water or QD with certain products, for certain situations where I have a specific reason for doing it, but it`s pretty rare. I don`t mean this as a :nono but I just never thought of it as something that`d be done as a matter of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the weathermen were wrong again--the temperature dropped some, but it sure didn`t seem less humid. In any case polished the Passat Wagon with HD Polish-- 4 passes on Speed 6 on Groits--then 2 passes on 4 with orange B&S pads--used 4 pads--cleaned often--rotated between pads after each panel to allow for cooling--4 pea sized drops to prime then 3 drops per section after that. Didn`t spray pads with water or Touch--no dust. But, don`t know how some of you do this so fast--I was moving right along with few breaks and it took me 6 hours just for the polishing--did the prep work and taping yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not only will I post instructions here, but will work on a dedicated tutorial as well.

**Take a fresh, clean pad of your choice. Again, if this pad hasn`t been completely cleaned prior to use, old product residue could still be in the pad and cause dust to fly everywhere. Very important to get this off on the right foot.

**(initial application/prime)Apply 4-5 small drops of product throughout the outer edges of the pad. This doesn`t mean the center and this doesn`t mean to use water, QD or anything else.

**On medium speed (speed 4 or 5 on a GG for example) work the product in a 2 by 2 foot area using slow arm speed and moderate downward pressure.

**Make 2 to 4 passes. A pass is considered 1 back and forth and 1 up and down movement.

**Wipe & inspect

**Clean pad with either a firm pad brush, compressed air and/or towel.

**For reapplication, apply 3-4 more drop on outer edge of pad.

**Swap to fresh pad after 2-3 full sized panels or when pad begins to be over-saturated with product.

NOTE:

*This product does not break down. You don`t need to work this product very long due to the non-diminishing abrasive technology. If you make too many passes, the oils will dry up and dust could result. If you don`t clean your pads after each pass session, dust could result.

*There isn`t a need, nor was this product designed to be used with water, QD or any other liquid to assist with this products performance.

*Keep your bottle closed after use. Store in a cool, dry environment.

*****IMPORTANT*****

*DO NOT overly prime pad.

When using HD Polishing compounds in sunny, outdoor or hot environments/surfaces:

1-Use a little more product

2-Work smaller sections/areas

3-Clean pads well/frequently

4-Be mindful of long work times
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    but will work on a dedicated tutorial as well.

Great idea!!!!

This is the one thing lacking from the HD product line. There is no place to go for a new user to get information on how to get the best performance from HD polishes. I`ve seen many posts over the last couple of years on other forums where someone trys a HD polishing product, has a bad experience so bad mouths the product only to find they have primed the pad in the conventional manner spreading product to cover the entire pad then adding more product to begin polishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    4 passes on Speed 6 on Groits--then 2 passes on 4 with orange B&S pads--used 4 pads--cleaned often--rotated between pads after each panel to allow for cooling--4 pea sized drops to prime then 3 drops per section after that.

I always thought one pass was up/down then the second pass was side to side, but considering David`s explanation "A pass is considered 1 back and forth and 1 up and down movement" then I really did a total of 3 passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The term "pass" can sure mean different things, depending on who`s using it! Always good to clarify what one means.

... don`t know how some of you do this so fast--I was moving right along with few breaks and it took me 6 hours just for the polishing--did the prep work and taping yesterday.

If it`s any consolation, I can easily spend that long, or even a *LOT* longer. OK, guess that means I could never cut it (efficiency-wise) as a Pro, but I`m *not* a Pro :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent!!!

The only thing I would add is that the different density of the pads require different amounts. Stiffer the pad, more product it needs.

Not only will I post instructions here, but will work on a dedicated tutorial as well.

**Take a fresh, clean pad of your choice. Again, if this pad hasn`t been completely cleaned prior to use, old product residue could still be in the pad and cause dust to fly everywhere. Very important to get this off on the right foot.

**(initial application/prime)Apply 4-5 small drops of product throughout the outer edges of the pad. This doesn`t mean the center and this doesn`t mean to use water, QD or anything else.

**On medium speed (speed 4 or 5 on a GG for example) work the product in a 2 by 2 foot area using slow arm speed and moderate downward pressure.

**Make 2 to 4 passes. A pass is considered 1 back and forth and 1 up and down movement.

**Wipe & inspect

**Swap to fresh pad after 2-3 full sized panels or when pad begins to be over-saturated with product.

NOTE:

*This product does not break down. You don`t need to work this product very long due to the non-diminishing abrasive technology. If you make too many passes, the oils will dry up and dust could result. If you don`t clean your pads after each pass session, dust could result.

*There isn`t a need, nor was this product designed to be used with water, QD or any other liquid to assist with this products performance.

*Keep your bottle closed after use. Store in a cool, dry environment.

*****IMPORTANT*****

*DO NOT overly prime pad.

When using HD Polishing compounds in sunny, outdoor or hot environments/surfaces:

1-Use a little more product

2-Work smaller sections/areas

3-Clean pads well/frequently

4-Be mindful of long work times

Post Thanks / Like
    Its okay pwaug. It takes me that long also and I still cant believe how many members get done so fast lol. Just picked up a rupes and im excited to try out HD polish as a 1 step with the rupes

Thanks David Fermani. I`m glad there is finally a set of directions we can refer to for HD polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have HD Uno and just got HD Cut, Polish & Speed. Hoping to learn how to properly work this product line so glad to see reviews and discussion here. I am also learning I could have skipped on Uno. Since I have it I will find some use for it.

Regarding HD Polish what is the proper way to prime the pad? Should it be primed at all or just apply pea size drops and go right to working it in passes? I have Buff & Shine Microfiber pads and their foam pads in orange, white, green and black. I am thinking white or green with polish. Also have Hydrotech Tangerine and Red. I am thinking of using HD polish on my 04 530i which has fairly good paint condition with minor swirls and defects.

UPDATE: just watched Barry Theal`s review on YouTube and saw how he primed it on a MF pad.

Post Thanks / Like

**Wipe & inspect

`

After the polisher is turned on, should the polish be spread throughout the section first, or is it better to just start with the first section pass?

`

Also, did you ever finish the tutorial, and if so, can you provide a link?

`

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great reminder of the tutorial I need to do.

`

I personally like to make a pretty quick pass over the work area to spread the product. Then I make the passes slowly.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried HD Polish for first time on B&S green and Rupes 15 on 03 cobra. Have been doing this for years but hd polish gave me a work out with dusting! Brand new pads primed(worked polish with fingers used 5 pea sized drops) worked in then 2 pea sized drops of working product, dusted like crazy.

Grabbed another new pad this time added 4 drops and worked/spread the polish on the panel, dusted right away QUICK!

Weather was around 70° clear skies a little windy here in Northern Cali... switched to megs 205 and no dust same conditions

Also tried less and a little more polish with both pads and couldn`t finish 1 section pass with out dust

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used HD polish with B&S blue pads. Primed thoroughly as if it was a MF pad, then before using it...cleaned it with brush to remove excess product....then used 2 pea size drops per panel. Never dusted at all. The trick is using less than you think you need. Its a simply awesome polish

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had no problems with dusting.`` 4-5 pea sized drops placed on the outer edges of the pad to prime (not worked into the pad in any way) then 2-3 pea sized drops for additional sections.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had no problems with dusting. 4-5 pea sized drops placed on the outer edges of the pad to prime (not worked into the pad in any way) then 2-3 pea sized drops for additional sections.

That`s exactly what I did with the second new pad and it still dusted? Keep in mind I tried more and less polish with and without priming of the pad. The only one time it didn`t dust was when I added more polish, but that just gummed up the pad. Cleaned it with a towel and air compressor, added the same amount and this time it dusted :-(

Could be that the polish is weather sensitive? I know that it`s the polish because m205 and the rupes fine polish both worked with no dust

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information