Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

I`ve been lurking for a while and finally have decided to buy a GG6 to use with UNO to try and get rid of some light swirls on my red MINI. Which pads do you recommend I buy?

TIA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Start with some cutting and polishing pads. 3D probably has the best choices since they made UNO, but I use Lake orange and white and finish with the black.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased Buff & Shine as I believe they make the pads for 3D but they don`t have the black barrier. They do have recessed velcro which offers a degreee of safety when near protrusions. 5.5" orange, green and red just like the 3D pads. Ben from 3D has said they work well with UNO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Buff and Shine, Meguiars Microfiber cutting pad and Optimum Compound and Polish pads. I just got a green 3D pad and it looks promising I have not used it very long though

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m totally new to this stuff, and I just machine polished for the first time. I have a black 2008 Jetta that I bought used and had a lot of swirls on it. I used Uno with the GG and 5.5" 3D Green pad and 3D backing plate. The results I got exceeded my expectations. I used the red finishing pad with poxy afterward.

You can see my results in direct sunlight here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-time-3.html

I also bought the orange, but felt it wasn`t necessary. I didn`t get ALL of the swirls out, however the overall appearance of the finish was drastically improved.

Post Thanks / Like
    UNO is pad-dependent, so you just apply it with what pad you need. If your paint needs compounding, get a compounding pad (usually yellow or orange), after that you`d need to polish so just use UNO on a polishing pad (white or green), and then if you want to further finesse it you can use it on a finishing pad (blue or black). Of course there are other pads not mentioned and you can make the process so much more simple by just stocking up with 2-3 of each color pad that 3D/HD sells (they`re named as compounding/polishing/finishing IIRC). Or you could go the microfiber pad route (I suggest Optimum`s new pads over Meguiar`s due to durability) and just get some cutting discs (for compounding) and polishing discs (for ...polishing...) and you should be able to finish out LSP-ready with the polishing discs. Then just get a couple black/red/gold pads if you want to machine apply your LSP afterwards.

Thread Information