Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    With the new pad system you can get better results and even better finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei86
    Oh I wasn`t acussing you of anything, I just wanted to get your input in about your statement in why you feel the original (old pad) was good compared to what we have now (new pads)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei86
    I know on this board (besides Berry and few others/3D Employees), you are one the biggest supporter of UNO and tries to get people to try it out at least. So I`m sure you already purchased the new 3D Cutting/Polish/Finishing pad; and if you have how does it compare to the old one?

On HD`s website and even 3D website they still state the old pads are in stock so how is the cut/finish vs the new Orange cut/Green Polish pad?

Before anything takes off out of context. I just want to make it clear. I have never been compensated by 3D Products International to promote products! I do this because of my desire for them. I only wish I would have opened my mine sooner. I will admit I have gotton products to test and try, but never once received any earnings " In the form form of cash or check" from 3D. There an outstanding company. Im not saying I wouldn`t turn them down if an offer was made. I`m simply saying up until this very time, I never recieved anything. I will admit I have been made offers by many companies, 3D was not one of them. Also for the record I have never promoted nor endoresed any product in which I received monies for.
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive had a chance to use UNO 3.0 a few times, and I have to say I am very pleased with the results Ive gotten. It is definitely key to use less of the product than more (yeah, had to learn this the hard way). If I had to compare this to the original Optimum polish (which also advertised itself as a pad dependant polish), Id say this has a bigger advantage as it requires less to do the work. I dont know if the OP had diminishin or non diminshing abrasives, but I do know it didnt always cut and finish as well as I would always like. UNO on the other hand (when Im not applying too much) is pretty much spot on for the most part. Definitely looking foward to trying out the new pads as well.

I am curious though, which one tends to finish out better, the red hd pad or the mf finising pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal
    Before anything takes off out of context. I just want to make it clear. I have never been compensated by 3D Products International to promote products! I do this because of my desire for them. I only wish I would have opened my mine sooner. I will admit I have gotton products to test and try, but never once received any earnings " In the form form of cash or check" from 3D. There an outstanding company. Im not saying I wouldn`t turn them down if an offer was made. I`m simply saying up until this very time, I never recieved anything. I will admit I have been made offers by many companies, 3D was not one of them. Also for the record I have never promoted nor endoresed any product in which I received monies for.

I can see how I worded it, but I wasn`t trying to imply that you where an employee of 3D either Barry. So sorry for the misunderstanding. I`m just saying you`re a stronger supporter of UNO.

Post Thanks / Like
    So you just use 2-4 small drops, huh? No pad-priming, no lubing of the pad with QD, none of that? It just sounds so...."dry pad" to me :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    The product will spread around real well - if one uses too much it will not correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    The product will spread around real well - if one uses too much it will not correct.

Yeah, I was taking that "don`t use too much!" seriously, just trying to come to grips with using such a minimal amount. Guess it might become clearer once I`ve tried the stuff.

Besides needing to use that $150 consolation prize I have waiting for me at HD/3D, I find I need a product that`ll correct Audi clear while *NOT* dusting; I usually never find dust much of an issue but I have a situation where it`s a biggie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not tried the finishing MF pads much at all, but since you brought that up with regard to the red foam UNO pad, I`ll test it later today.

Drops? Yep! I built up too much the other day and even applying drops after the initial "priming" when I got the Griots to about 5.5, it began to toss product. I use a pad cleaner and even though I use speed 6 on the Makita to "dry" spin the pad, the 1st application of product usually finds too much water in the foam. It takes the 2nd application to start working with no water coming out of the pad.
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WCD
    I have not tried the finishing MF pads much at all, but since you brought that up with regard to the red foam UNO pad, I`ll test it later today.

Drops? Yep! I built up too much the other day and even applying drops after the initial "priming" when I got the Griots to about 5.5, it began to toss product. I use a pad cleaner and even though I use speed 6 on the Makita to "dry" spin the pad, the 1st application of product usually finds too much water in the foam. It takes the 2nd application to start working with no water coming out of the pad.

Funny, but when I tried priming and a few drops after with the mf pads things worked pretty well. The Surbuf, not so much. I mean it was a hot mess. Felt like I was working the same spot, and nothing changed. Here, Im figuring out what the heck happenned, and kept trying over and over again like a doofus. Finally started over fresh with a new pad, just applied a few drops, rubbed the UNO in the pad, and tried again. This time, I gt the results I was looking for. Only problems I have with the whole rubbing UNO in the pad is that its so slick, I have problems wiping off my fingers and holding onto anything, and being that UNO is also white in color, its kinda tricky figuring out when I have decent coverage over the pads. Now, I use a plastic fork to spread UNO a lil more even and not get it all over my hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    USDM,

Sorry for the confusion..I was not that clear now that I read my post over. The "tossing" happens when using the foam pads- when they have any water in the pad and after a few applications, the UNO builds too much. Thus, yep, I have to keep it down to those few drops. It really will spread easily.

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usdm
    ...started over fresh with a new pad, just applied a few drops, rubbed the UNO in the pad, and tried again. This time, I gt the results I was looking for.. Now, I use a plastic fork to spread UNO a lil more even and not get it all over my hands.

I`m *still* confused :think:

If you`re only using a few small drops, how do you spread it with fork? I mean...what`s to spread if you`re using so little?

OK, yeah....I guess I just gotta try it, but still :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I`m *still* confused :think:

If you`re only using a few small drops, how do you spread it with fork? I mean...what`s to spread if you`re using so little?

OK, yeah....I guess I just gotta try it, but still :nixweiss

It`s very "liquidy", well, more than say, 105...or any of the menz`s for example, it spreads over the pad really easily. I definitely agree with these guys that less is more. Any more than "less" and your results will pretty much be non existent. Once the pad has some UNO on it you need almost none to continue for more passes, any more than a tiny dab, and well...read above.

For me I still find I reach for 105/d300 more only because they cut so much faster ime, but when UNO works (and you have the time to really work it), it really does work well.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I tried UNO for the first time last week. I used PFW pads to cut and unsuccessfully used a finishing pad to remove compound haze and burnish - probably user-error or wrong pad match...still learning . I ended up finishing with PO85RD and Megs black finishing pad from the SO1O Sysytem. I was working on soft black. Turned out brilliantly. That PO85RD never ceases to amaze me.

As for the UNO/PFW combo...very fast, no dust (cleaned pad regularly with air) and very little polish needed. Initially I had your reservations as it was even harder to spread the polish on wool than foam pads. But regardless of how dry the pad felt and looked, as soon as I applied it to the paint I could see the oily-looking lubrication cover the paint (easy to see on black).

You need faith, my son.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alfisti - no doubt that 85rd works awsome on soft black paint. We`re you using a rotary with PFW? I`d have to say that going from a wool to finishing pad would be too big of a gap to cover. Even on soft paint. The Meg`s black finishing pad is too soft to cut out that PFW marring I bet.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was using a Mak BO6040, so not quite rotary. It left a mild compound marring, not really a haze, more like mild swirls.

I would normally agree on the *gap* but it looked great in the end with no swirls left at all. I used a prep-wash body solvent to remove all oils and pulled it out into the sun. Looked perfect.

What are your thoughts on this result, and also on why I was having trouble finishing with UNO.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information