Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simoniz GlassCoat advice

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Very cool video, thanks for the link!
    And it works, Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

OK you got my curiosity up...I feel I have tried everything fro Adam`s to Zaino.
    Simoniz Glasscoat is one I have not tried...So I purchased it to try out & test.
    I also recently saw an article on Modern Marvels extolling this products virtues.
    You know folks, Simoniz is not a name we hear much in these circles any more.

Anyway, I ordered it.
    It`s on it`s way. I`ll post my results.
    I only purchased the "exterior" product(s).
    You know..."Don`t knock it if you ain`t tried it."

First Thought:
    I`ve seen reports where $tealerships get between $500-$800 to apply this product to your "new" vehicle.
    It could be the greatest stuff on earth but anything installed by auto $tealerships will get a bad rap.

Second Thought:
    To me it looks like a WOWO product. There may be "tricks" to the application but it looks straight forward.
    Folks that have applied it like the results and they state that it`s a great product and it works very well.

Things Learned:
    You can wax on top and it can be removed with a polisher. I`ll apply it to a daily driver & see how it works & looks.

Come on folks we`ve all purchased products that did or didn`t live up to it`s hype. I give it a go and let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

Preliminary testing...

I received three products in the package
    Two System 5 products and the Glasscoat.

Liquid Wash Solution & Paint Protection Coating

System 5
    Liquid Wash Solution 4fl oz
    Clear Pink/Red in color.
    The bottle states to add it to one gallon of water
    I`m not sure what it`s real purpose is besides cleaning the paint.

Paint Protection Coating 4fl oz
    White cream like product.
    The bottle states can be applied by hand or machine
    I applied it with a PC speed 3 with a 5" LC black flat pad.
    The bottle states...Remove with terry bonnet on orbital.
    I found this the easiest way to remove the slightly stubborn product.

Results (so far) after application.
    The Wash Solution was a good product. I`m not sure if it`s "special".
    The Paint Protection Coating left a slightly darker and slicker finish.

It was suggested to me to wait after PPC before applying Glasscoat.

"Glass coat is the last thing after you apply the System 5 coating.
    System 5 acts the same as Glasscoat but for a short period of time.
    When you apply both you`re building two layers of paint protection.
    Be sure surface is dry, dirt or dust free surface before you apply the PPC.
    After you apply PPC let it dry then remove it with a polishing tool."
    (PPC dries hard and white and is a bit too stubborn to remove by hand)
    "You need to completely remove any PPC substance on the surface.
    Wait approx. 30 mins then apply Glasscoat.
    ...it is not necessary to apply glasscoat after ppc. You can use it on your next wash"

We`ve seen the above video for sheeting and we don`t need to see another picture of a shiny hood.

So here`s a video from Modern Marvels

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7bnTQDPcU]Simoniz Glass Coat as Featured on Modern Marvels - YouTube[/ame]

I have not applied the Glasscoat product to the paint yet. I`ll keep you posted with my results.

Post Thanks / Like

Well to try it I thought I`d experiment on my 150k miles DD. If I screwed it up no great loss.

Application:
    I washed, clayed and washed the car. One little 2oz bottle is enough to only do one car.
    I used a cotton pad applicator poured a little on the pad & wiped front to back on the hood.
    It is a very thin liquid (almost like water) and felt super slick when being applied to the paint.

I waited until it hazed to a purple, similar to what a soapy water looks like, then removed it.
    I used a quality microfiber towel for removal. I found it only slightly stubborn in a few areas.
    All in all it probably was the easiest product to apply and remove that I have EVER used.
    Apply to a panel with straight overlapping strokes. Let haze to light purple and wipe off.
    From what I understand that`s it. No cure time (just 5 minutes) unlike traditional polymers.
    10 minutes all done.

Look and feel when I finished.
    A slight slick feel, not over slick but not grabby (squeaky clean) like some other coatings.
    It has a nice shiny gloss. Not the depth and warmth of a fine Carnuaba or Saran Wrap shiny.

Longevity and Durability:
    For me and this application it`s too early to tell. If it lasts as long as the claims I`ll be happy.

Warnings:
    There are a few warnings on the bottle you need to be aware of. Highly flammable, toxic etc.
    Also noted is the requirement that it can ONLY be applied in the shade out of direct sunlight.
    So wear gloves if it makes you comfortable. Don`t take internally and ONLY apply in the shade.

This stuff actually sheets water. It`s not for tiny beads. Oh Boy another picture of water beads!
    NOTE: It started to lightly rain about 20 minutes after I applied it and here`s what it looked like.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a 3 month update.

IMHO
    The product has "no" look.
    It does not "look" any better or like anything.
    The product has a funky feel to it.
    Kinda like the feel of urethane on top of wood?

Now on to the good part. Hurricane Sandy is upon us and I`m typing this post.
    I went outside and the hydrophobic beading looks better than when I applied it.

It still looks exactly like the picture above or maybe even better with a little time.

Side Note: I recently had to park under a big tree and the birds took target practice.
    It was covered. I hit it with a hose (nothing special) and it all melted away no issues.

The only thing I have done to the car since it was applied was just rinse it with a hose.
    I would recommend this product for a DD where the priority was long lasting protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    i doubt it is on there strong like cquarts or opti-coat, im betting either a light polish with something like po85rd on a black pad or am205 on a black pad will work to remove it mechanically. chemically can try some prep solvent which you can find at car quest if they have a paint department. fyi, never fall into the dealership coatings, most of the time they are a scam. also you dont have teflon on your seat, its probably the same active ingredient in scotchguard professional or 303 high tech fabric guard. teflon does not bond until a very high temp, if it was applied at that high temp, well you would not have a seat left. as far as screwing yourself out of opti-coat, doubtfull as you can remove it. however the surface needs to be near perfect before applying the opti-coat as it would be pointless to seal in the swirls and scratches you cannot remove once the opti-coat is applied. but since you need to do this i would do a full two step proccess on your paint as im pretty sure it has dealer applied swirls. so something along the lines of the blackfire SRC compound and blackfire polish, meguiars m105 and meguiars m205, optimum hyper compound spray and hyper compound polish should all be a great 2 step (apply compounds with 5.5" orange FLAT lc pad on da and polishes using a white or black lc 5.5" flat pad) and it will remove the simonize product as well as remove any existing swirl marks/defects in your paint.

edit: since you are in CT you can get the microfiber DA system and the meguiars DA at these two walmarts located in ct(im from rhode island and my dad lives there so i keep an eye out for stuff like this for him)

CT BRISTOL 1400 FARMINGTON AVE
    CT WATERBURY 910 WOLCOTT ST

good luck!
    Just leave outside with that monster storm coming your way...that should remove the sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Here`s a 3 month update.

IMHO
    The product has "no" look.
    It does not "look" any better or like anything.
    The product has a funky feel to it.
    Kinda like the feel of urethane on top of wood?

Now on to the good part. Hurricane Sandy is upon us and I`m typing this post.
    I went outside and the hydrophobic beading looks better than when I applied it.

It still looks exactly like the picture above or maybe even better with a little time.

Side Note: I recently had to park under a big tree and the birds took target practice.
    It was covered. I hit it with a hose (nothing special) and it all melted away no issues.

The only thing I have done to the car since it was applied was just rinse it with a hose.
    I would recommend this product for a DD where the priority was long lasting protection.

Thats great news on your wax...what hydrophobic was do you have on? I have seen the same results with my nanoskin hydrophobic wax also.

Post Thanks / Like

OK it`s Jan 2013. I applied it in Aug 2012. I have not used any LSP product since then.
    I wash the car regularly. Here`s a pic I just took. The "beads" are still very pronounced.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, The height, contact angle and diameter of the beads had changed. I finally caved and clayed and waxed the car.
    I felt that any protection and hydrophobic properties had diminished to a point where it finally gave up the ghost.

Although the paint still beaded, healthy paint will bead water without any sealant or wax applied.
    This beading property can confuse folks into feeling a sealant and/or wax is actually lasting longer.
    So rather than continue this test and prolong the inevitable result I removed any remaining product.

Still all in all not a bad test, it had very good durability and longevity on a 24/7 south Florida outside car.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine gave me 2 bottles of Simoniz Glasscoat. I never heard of it before today how do you apply this ? is it worth using?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information